Well I didn't buy the 1966 Honda CT-90 this morning but I was in the mood so I went and bought a 1962 Triumph 500 desert racer. The guy I got it from used to race it back in the late 60 and early 70's.

20160301_151608_resized_zpsxg6dh3dq.jpg

CiD

wow that is epic. a brilliant find!!! a real original dez sled amazing piece of western off road history

Nice. My trail riding buddies, Jim and Sandra love squirreling around in the desert on those things.

Nice! Love the straight exhaust and cushy seat. With that rear sprocket u could pull stumps and light em off with the dual flame throwers!

Well Done Chris, The thing looks like he just parked it after a day in the dez.

I'd like a little input on the bike. Part of me just wants to leave it as is and just get it running and my other option is to tear it apart and do a full restoration.

What do you think? Either way I'll get a AZ plate for it but I wouldn't add any lights ect. to it.

CiD

Chris,

There must be room to grow in the suspension department. What is condition is the 500, I mean other than totally cool looking? Arizona plate? Really without a headlight? The geometry is wild; I would de-brief the PO on riding technique before you " lose him " as a resource. Do you think you might install an air filter on those historically correct carbs?

Otherwise I would seriously think of maintaining the original presentation. Can I be present when you get around to kick starting that dude?

Wow!!

I'd like a little input on the bike. Part of me just wants to leave it as is and just get it running and my other option is to tear it apart and do a full restoration.

What do you think? Either way I'll get a AZ plate for it but I wouldn't add any lights ect. to it.

CiD

I wouldn't touch it, other than to make sure it's running.

It's an art piece. A snapshot in time and place. A time traveler. A survivor.

I would re-do the gas tank Back to stock Triumph colors and badges .Freshen up the forks and shocks , And leave the rest alone .

I have the air cleaner but it wasn't held on very well so I took it off for the trip home. I'm also of the mind to just get it running and leave as is. I wouldn't mind having a correct tank but unless I could find an unmolested original patina and all I wouldn't want to put it on the bike. As far as the AZ plate they will just give me one when I register it in my name so .....

CiD

Leave it. Lots of people try really hard to replicate the patina that thing has developed. Restored vehicles (cars or bikes) are a dime a dozen and anyone with a checkbook can have one. Preservation is where it's at.

Is that the stock forks and front wheel --looks raked out ?

Awesomesauce! :smile_anim: What is larger...the gas tank or the oil tank? Haha... :lmaosmiley: Getting used to that right side shifter will be fun... :crying_anim02: