ADV Bum

Radio License Class 02-April

After the First Aid/ communications class we had the other night I thought it best to stop procrastinating and take the class. I would really like to be able to use the repeaters legally and have better radio coverage.

I just registered for this class. There are 4 other spots open. To promote legal usage of the the radio I would like to offer to pay for the class and lunch for those who join me in this class 02 April( you must be a volunteer for the Dash/ Sdar site).

Contact sandiegohamclasses@me.com

I am in. I just sent him an email. Using the local repeater would have been helpful this year at the Dash for long distance coms.

Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?? Good on you for motivating everyone! I would take you up on offer but I got my license August last year.

KK6VZJ

http://www.perc4pq.org/ham-radio-classes/

Ham Radio Classes

One upcoming Technician Class ..

One Day Amateur Radio Technician License Class: Saturday, 02-April, Poway Area

The Amateur Radio Service (Ham Radio) has practical applications from providing emergency communications and supporting civic events to education and recreation.

This is an entry-level class for beginners, immediately followed by the license examination. Those who pass the end-of-the-day exam will receive a radio license and call sign from the FCC which entitles them to transmit on VHF and UHF Amateur Radio frequencies (range of about 50 miles).

Previous knowledge about radio or electricity is not required to take the class or pass the exam. (However, a few hours of study and practice tests before class dramatically improves most peoples ability to pass the exam.) Study in advance is -strongly- recommended.

Times: From 8:30 AM (sharp) to about 7:00 PM for both the class and exam. (Plan to arrive between 08:00 and 08:15 AM.)

This includes short hourly breaks and a 45-60 minute lunch break.

Location: Poway area (details provided later to those registered (see below))

Costs: The Examination immediately after class costs $10 (please bring cash).

There is no charge for the class itself.

Eligibility: Anyone properly following emailed registration instructions is eligible.

Age limit: None (contact us for teen and pre-teen considerations)

We can not accept walk-ins.

Please Register Well In Advance!

Seating is limited and classes often fill two to three weeks before the class date.

Step 0: Check your calendar (and the family calendar) make sure you are available 8am-7pm.

Step 1: Request registration instructions by emailing sandiegohamclasses@me.com with a subject including at least 02-Apr Poway (we usually have more than one class open for registration). You will receive a reply with registration instructions and study materials to review before class. (At times, theres a large email backlog and it can take a few days to send your instructions.)

Step 2: Reply per the instructions. A prompt and complete reply is to your advantage seats are reserved in the order complete replies are received. Those who do not follow instructions and complete registration properly via email are ineligible to attend the class.

Additional notes;

A. If you are a member of a group that plans to have multiple people attend, please mention that group in your email.

B. We must have a working email address for each registrant and be in direct mail contact with them. (We cannot accept proxy registrations, where you sign up someone else.) If you want to get a family member or friend started on the registration path, Cc: their email address when you email to request registration instructions and say theyre for the family/friend(s) on the cc list. Your family member or friend will be sent the instructions, and will still need to reply per instructions.

Watch for additional email/reminders before class! There are only a couple.

+ Those registered will receive an email reminder about 10-14 days before class with details on location, times, what to bring, etc.

+ Those on the waiting list will receive an update about 7-10 days before class about whether space will be available.

J, on behalf of the instructor team: J af6gm, Rob k6rjf, Bob aa6bp

See the class website http://sandiegohamclasses.com for more info.

Getting licensed is well within reach of anyone who wants to take the time to study for the test. I've been licensed for 35 years and found that over that period the Morse code part of the exam was the main thing keeping many from getting a license or progressing further up through the license levels. Now that the code requirement is no longer part of the licensing process, it really isn't that hard to get legal.

Because the license exam question pool is actually published by the FCC and part of most study programs, you could simply drill on the questions themselves and not even learn any of the electronics fundamentals themselves. Most people who go that route tell me that it only took them an hour or so a night over the course of a week to prepare for the test that weekend. In fact, now that my daughters just started riding, I'm working on getting them licensed and drilling over the question pool is probably the way we'll go.

It's been a while since I last tested, but I think at most sessions they'll give you two chances to pass the test before having you come back for the next testing session.

Low power simplex operation typically gives plenty of range for riding within a small group, but sometimes you want some extra range - say to talk back to friends or family back at the base camp - and in that case, operation through a repeater is desired. This is where a license really comes in handy. Many repeaters also have a phone patch function where you could make a call home or to a friend to send someone to help, or to call emergency services.

An unlicensed person using a repeater sets off all sorts of alarm bells with the ham community. In an emergency of course one would still do it, but the FCC has handed out fines anyway in a number of cases for such use.

Colleen and I will go. Let me check if there are still 2 openings

Great Mike! I am out of town that weekend. I too want to get licensed and will keep my eye open for another opportunity.

So through some emails I realized there are more than 5 spots available. Please tell him you are from SDAR when you contact him. He is worried we will "Hijack" and disrupt his class. I assured him we are not those type of people.

If you check in with GLAARG (Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group) they have a tendency to have just a test day at various locations around San Diego County. The one I got licensed at was an early morning test utilizing the Fillippi's in Kearny Mesa. Additionally I've got some light reading on the subject if anybody wants to borrow it to read up before doing the test day. I know that when I got licensed that the question pool was changing that upcoming summer.

I assured him we are not those type of people.

Not sure what to post here.... :coolio:

If you check in with GLAARG (Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group) they have a tendency to have just a test day at various locations around San Diego County. The one I got licensed at was an early morning test utilizing the Fillippi's in Kearny Mesa. Additionally I've got some light reading on the subject if anybody wants to borrow it to read up before doing the test day. I know that when I got licensed that the question pool was changing that upcoming summer.

The entire test can be done without taking a class. There are plenty of online resource that allow study, practice tests, etc. Then go to one of the many test events held at least monthly around the county.

In class, you will not learn how to use your radio, you won't learn about PL tones, etc, ete- and that's the harder part.

But the licensing is the first step, and I highly recommend it.

Thanks to Carguy and MacDuncan for coming to the class today.

3 more licensed radio operators

Thanks ADV Bum for the lunch and paying for the class. Everyone that showed passed!

Also thanks to the volunteers that put on the class.