robertaccio

is El Nino media hype?

wow I saw the icon but this thread has literally turned HOT!!!!

So, since..... Someone decided to close Guantanamo. Do we get San Diego's Desalination Plant back from Cuba?

http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/op-ed/vandeerlin/20080207-9999-lz1e7vandeer.html

The Farmer's Almanac says dry this round.

Next year should be wetter in the Southland.

Problem for us here is the Big Blob of Warm Water in the Gulf of Alaska. It causes the Jet Steam to ride further north of us. Once the blob disapates somewhat, the Jet will drop further south and bring us needed moisture.

We live in a desert. There is no "Normal" rainfall. There are cycles of dry, wet and in between and cycles inside those cycles. Many....... too many variables.

And Hype sells.......

S

Did you know that 80% of the state's human water use goes to farmers? Now, I am not attacking farmers. I am just putting things in perspective. You can all stop flushing your toilets, go weeks without showering, let your grass die, and on and on. But guess what? You are not going to fix the water shortage. Period.

Good point, Spaugh.

Truly, I'm all about doing my part, but...I feel as if I'm bailing out the ocean with a pail. And on top of that, I'm being charged more for my efforts.

So, I won't make a difference and I'll save money by just using as much water as I need.

Crazy but true.

I drove up to northern CA a few weeks back. It was raining pretty good through the central valley. And guess what I saw? Farm irrigation sprinklers running while it was raining. Wonderful.

This is a project I just finished building at my house. This is an orchard of fruit trees with grapes and berrys that will fill the wall space. All fed with captured rain water. I feel we should conserve water, its valuable. I also feel we should grow food, plants and vegetation as they are valuable for the environment. Fake grass and rocks does nothing for the environment. It is amazing to watch the fruit growing and to see the birds and bees that enjoy it as well.

20160305_093722_zpsascd7pyr.jpg

20160305_093745_zpscmphuqrp.jpg

Things are getting even more crazy here in Cali. The farmers are planting millions of new almonds in the valley and they require more water than almost any other crop. I know they have to make a profit, but sucking the Sacramento valley underground aquifer dry is not right. All the while we are conserving what amounts to a puddle of water!

Nice orchard Mike. I know I really enjoy watching all of my different fruit grow and really enjoy eating them. Just hate the constant battle with gophers. They can kill a new tree in a day so watch out for them.

CiD

well it almost looks like he (el nino) has landed.......since my post we seem to have a steady inflow of rainy stuff.....so maybe there is something to this hype...its just coming in late. But better later than never!! have fun out there dust free!!

We're not getting the crazy weather that was predicted. Sure, doom and gloom and disaster hype sells.

But in the end, it appears El Nino was deported before he could do much harm (or good, depending on how you look at it).

Note: I am thankful for the little rain we received, but it doesn't seem like it's anything out of the ordinary...

Heck, February was THE hottest on records and one of the driest in history.

Even though we've gotten a couple storms in March, non have been above average rain fall amounts.

Total bust!

its been raining for 20 days straight at a time in parts of Oregon and my buddy said they got 8in of rain in San Jose last week. El Nino is alive and well. North of here....

I lived in the PacNW for 5 years. It only rained between January and December. ☔️⛈If they DIDN'T get rain I'd be concerned!

Anybody know if El Nino was anywhere near Laguna Hanson last week? We were down there on the 5th, forecast of rain for 6th..heading thru there to Cals this Wednesday.

Just read another interesting, if not amusing, article on El Niño: http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/blog/dont-get-too-comfortable-el-ninyo-is-preparing-for-a-second-peak-011916

In life, there are times when we're willing to believe that people are generally competent. Then, there are times when it just seems like everyone is making ---- up. That's right, we're talking about El Niño.

First, we were told that the threatening weather pattern was "too big to fail." Then, on top of that hype, we learned that the ocean temperatures indicated that it could be the largest on record. Mid-December rolled around with not a drop of rain on the ground and, guess what, officials conveniently chimed in to tell us that the storms were running "behind schedule." No kidding. But to their credit, rain finally made an appearance in early January. Since then, nothing. So where did El Niño go?

Climatologists say we shouldn't get too comfortable. With winds slowly dying down, the ocean temperature will be able to heat up again, essentially allowing El Niño storms to recharge. He calls the expected upcoming precipitation El Niño's "second peak."

History shows that the strongest storms could still be on the horizon.

LMAO....

My moneys on a dry spring, HOT azz summer, dry Fall, and another dry winter.

Well, it’s official if even the CA bureaucrats are admitting it.

Officials: El Nino fizzled out and is officially a bust: Won't end California drought

LINK

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4825136910001/officials-el-nino-fizzled-out-wont-end-california-drought/?playlist_id=2114913880001&intcmp=hphz05#sp=show-clips

Of course that's what they will say. They wouldn't want us to think we have water or lower our rates that they raised. Almost every picture I've seen of the snow pack and reservoirs from northern California are 100% + 0f normal.

CiD

Good point, Covered in Water.

Don't get me started on the rate increases again.

Reports of Lake Oroville waters flooding over the spillway.

Sierra snow pack is only to 90% of longterm average.

This season was the wettest this decade but even one ABOVE average year will not reverse the effects of a 5 year drought and we didn't attain average.