CrashBandit

Rugged/Baofeng Mismatch

I currently have the rugged RH5 with the motorcycle helmet wiring kit. After purchasing that I then found out that the RH5 was essentially the Boefeng UV-5R. I have read the other post as well were everyone mentions on using the UV-5R. I recently purchased a UV-5R for a second helmet set up as well as purchasing the rugged helmet kit. The problem I am having is when I plug into the UV-5R with the rugged helmet kit, the Mic does not work. I can hear, but I cannot transmit. I noticed that the plug ends are different from the rugged kit versus the standard ear piece kit that comes with the UV-5R. Could it be that the internal wiring in the rugged kit is wired differently for the Mic button?

I am trying to get the pictures uploaded to a link so I can share them.

How many contact are on each pin? you need 3 for the radio, 2 contact are used on Motorola radios.

I currently have the rugged RH5 with the motorcycle helmet wiring kit. After purchasing that I then found out that the RH5 was essentially the Boefeng UV-5R. I have read the other post as well were everyone mentions on using the UV-5R. I recently purchased a UV-5R for a second helmet set up as well as purchasing the rugged helmet kit. The problem I am having is when I plug into the UV-5R with the rugged helmet kit, the Mic does not work. I can hear, but I cannot transmit. I noticed that the plug ends are different from the rugged kit versus the standard ear piece kit that comes with the UV-5R. Could it be that the internal wiring in the rugged kit is wired differently for the Mic button?

I am trying to get the pictures uploaded to a link so I can share them.

Does the UV-5R work with your original headset? They should be identical. I suppose you could have gotten a bad UV-5R. One more thought. What is programmed into the UV-5R? Are the band limits set for the frequency you want to use? If outside the set band limits the radio will not transmit.

The first picture is from the Rugged Plug, the second picture is of the standard headset plug. I also found the pin out diagram for the UV-5R. I programmed my UV-5R identical to my Rugged. All of the frequencies are the same as well as the settings. I didn't try transmitting with the standard head set. I dont have both radios in my possession right now to try. I was able to transmit using the radio alone.

20160117_172551.jpg

20160117_172347.jpg

20160117_160651.jpg

Looks like you need a different pigtail from Rugged.

If it's the RR RH-5R harness the pigtail is not removeable.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=1378

Looks like he bought the universal harness and added a pigtail (BTW - IMO a much better harness). It appears to be the Icom jumper in the photo. He needs the Kenwood. Call Rugged and they'll get it straightened out.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=586

The first picture is from the Rugged Plug, the second picture is of the standard headset plug. I also found the pin out diagram for the UV-5R. I programmed my UV-5R identical to my Rugged. All of the frequencies are the same as well as the settings. I didn't try transmitting with the standard head set. I dont have both radios in my possession right now to try. I was able to transmit using the radio alone.

20160117_172551.jpg

20160117_172347.jpg

20160117_160651.jpg

From seeing the diagram, it should work, the smaller 3 contacts are actual only 2.

Something seems wrong with the RR pigtail - the "kenwood" plug they have doesn't have the right pinout - you need all three contacts. One thing you may want to try is to make sure the plug is all the way into the radio - some poorly made radios or adapters don't fully insert into the radio.

Another possibility is that the rugged radio is actually different. Does the helmet kit work with the rugged branded radio?

Edit: looking at the pinout again - it might not be needed for audio but only data. But still, does it with with the other radio? Might be a bad UV5R....test the headset that came with it too.

The rugged motorcycle kit works perfect with the rugged radio that I have (http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=1378). The problem is when I try to use this wiring kit on the Boefeng I cannot transmit. The only thing I can think that is different is the way the Rugged did the wiring on their harness for the PTT button.

I have tried this on 3 different UV-5R radios. I have a buddy that also used UV-5R with a rugged intercom set up and had the same issue with not being able to transmit.

So just to be clear have you tried the Rugged ht on the new harness or the UV-5R on the old harness?? RR has their issues with quality control at times and perhaps the new harness is bad. I recently received an extension cable that did not work and my buddy got a bad headset. To their credit RR replaced both straight away. I have the universal harnesses and able to use Yaesu HT and the UV-5r without issue using the appropriate RR jumper so I don't think the RR RH-5R and the UV-5R are different. Both use the Kenwood interface. I would call Rugged as they have excellent customer support..

Randy....It sounds like that is something I need to double check this weekend. I plugged the UV-5R into my original old harness, that came with my RR RH-5R, and did the test. My original harness is over a year and a half old. I still have the new harness I bought for the UV-5R in the bag.

What RR jumper are you referring to?

I did have a problem with my original RH-5R and called rugged and they replaced it. There customer service is excellent. I wasn't sure about calling rugged about their cable not working on another radio. I could see them saying that I would need to purchase their RH-5R, but that is just my assumption.

The jumper is required if you are using the universal harness and not the RH-5R specific harness. My point is the UV-5R works with the Rugged Kenwood jumper just like the RH-5R does. I don't think Rugged will give you a hard time. Give them a call and see what they say. If they think it's the radio then you may want to contact the seller. Heck they're only $25 these days on Amazon. Almost not worth sending it back:) Where are you located? We can try your UV-5R on one of my harnesses. I'm in Bay Park (above Mission Bay).

I am going to double check the radios and harnesses this weekend first just so I have a baseline of where I am at with each component. I dont have my RH-5R in my possession right now. I did get my UV-5R from Amazon, such a good deal.

I am about 1.5 hours north of you in Fontana. Thanks for offering to check it out on your harness. I will let you know what findings are this weekend and after I call Rugged on Tuesday.

Fontana? Wish I could be of more help. Once you baseline everything I think you'll have a good idea of what's going on. Rugged are good people. They'll treat you right.

I got my radio back and I plugged in every combination possible between radios and wiring and I have come to the conclusion that the user is an idiot. It was user error from day one. I don't know why everything works now. I checked the all of the connections originally to make sure everything was plugged in as I know that they cannot snap into place sometimes. I thank everyone for their input on trying to solve the issue.

Also be aware (I learned the hard way) the helmet needs to be plugged in to test the PTT system.

Great you got it going!