Sign in to follow this  
captcham

Joshua Tree- Fri, Sat

We are heading out for Joshua Tree on Friday for some camping and riding. There seems to be several trails and off road roads in the area that sound interesting. I plan on camping in Cottonwood for now, I have never been there before but is the lowest elevation and there for probably the warmest at night. All are invited and as I said before I am not out racing, I am into riding and sight seeing. I will up date this as we get closer to the weekend. :rolleyes:

post-2007-1201537859.jpg

In Joshua Tree National Park you are only allowed to ride on the paved and gravel roads with a dual sport bike. No riding is allowed on any trail.

Captcham,

Are you staying over Saturday night? Is there much room at Cottonwood? The rain is fun but I need to ride!

Bagstr

Captcham,

Are you staying over Saturday night? Is there much room at Cottonwood? The rain is fun but I need to ride!

Bagstr

Yeh I think we will go up on Fri. and stay a couple nights. I got a used pop up trailer so at least we can sit inside with the heater on and play dominoes. There is about a hundred camp sites at cottonwood so there should be lots of room. There are several other campgrounds around there also. Weather should be OK for weekend so it should be a good chance to ride.

I would beware in Joshua Tree. My brother has lived there for ten years and he has told me that in the last two years, authorities have closed down almost all riding areas but a select few.

We am heading out in the morning for Joshua Tree and will be camping Thur. Fri. Sat. I will be at Cottonwood most likely. Look for a gray Tacoma with pop up camper and a orange KTM 640. I will be riding each day probably leaving around 9 or so if anyone is interested. Mostly fire roads and such from what I read but we will see. Hope to meet some of ya there, Steve. :blink:

If your'e driving that far you would have more fun at Red Mtn. lots of single track and "Joshua trees" gold mines , you name it.

Capt,

Wish I could make it but family birthday Saturday complicates drivetime. You have fun and tell me what you learn. Looks like I'll need to strike out Sunday if the raindrops cooperate.

Just seeing this post for the first time.......there isn't a lot of off-road riding in that area but even the paved riding is pretty scenic......Doug and I rode Queen Mine Road in the upper part of Joshua Tree (dirt - nothing challenging but scenic) and Pinkham Canyon in the lower western of Joshua Tree (dirt/sand) on our way home after the LA-B-V ride.......and Pinkham Canyon will drop you down to Box Canyon south of I10 and the Meccopia Trail on the other side of Box Canyon.......all fun dirt.....

We also took a few detours such as the Salton View Road....paved but worth the ride/view....

We didn't explore:

- Thermal Canyon which splits off of Pinkham Canyon....

- Geology Tour/Berdoo Canyon (dirt) which drops down to Dillon Rd. and connects with the 10 (it's right in front of Queen Mine Rd. when you get back out to the park road.....we had to make a choice and opted for Pinkham Canyon to save some time)

- Old Dale Rd., Booklynn Mine Jeep Rd., Black Eagle Rd (All of them dirt) on the southern end of Joshua Tree......

I'd like to go back and explore some more at some point.......perhaps camp at Truckhaven then ride over that way first thing in the morning and goof around all day before looping back to Truckhaven......easy ~300 mile "Adventure" day....

Good info Chris.

I am tentatively planning just some scenic riding around the park. Two days of 120 - 170 miles. One day starting with a hike in Hidden Valley, then dropping down the Geology Loop, out Berdoo Canyon, lunch/fuel in Indio, back in the park via Pinkham and Thermal. Either camping at Jumbo Rocks or hotel in Joshua Tree (the town).

Next day Black Eagle Road and Old Dale Road for old mine exploring; Storm Jade, Mission Well, Duplex Mine, Los Angeles Mine, Gold Crown, OK Mine, Virginia Dale, Supply Mine, and Lorman Mine. Planning a route, but totally playing it be ear to accommodate the conditions and the other rider I'll be with.

craig; please post a ride report.... I'll be there in April, and am thinking of bringing a bike and doing some esplorin'

craig; please post a ride report.... I'll be there in April, and am thinking of bringing a bike and doing some esplorin'

Definitely. Shifted to the third week in Feb...

Definitely. Shifted to the third week in Feb...

That's DD weekend :lol: .....Feb 21/22........pick a new date :lol:

I am tentatively planning just some scenic riding around the park. Two days of 120 - 170 miles. One day starting with a hike in Hidden Valley, then dropping down the Geology Loop, out Berdoo Canyon, lunch/fuel in Indio, back in the park via Pinkham and Thermal. Either camping at Jumbo Rocks or hotel in Joshua Tree (the town).

Next day Black Eagle Road and Old Dale Road for old mine exploring; Storm Jade, Mission Well, Duplex Mine, Los Angeles Mine, Gold Crown, OK Mine, Virginia Dale, Supply Mine, and Lorman Mine. Planning a route, but totally playing it be ear to accommodate the conditions and the other rider I'll be with.

Did you go? If so, what do you have to report? (or did I miss your report? B) )

I'd like to ride the route Doug and I rode back from LA-B-V in reverse sometime......head across Meccacopia Trail to Box Canyon, Powerline to Pinkham Canyon, Pinkham Canyon up into Joshua Tree......then explore around in Joshua Tree to the southerly direction where your "tentative plan" was headed....

I'd be interested too as I have a weekend in Palm Springs May 1. It'd be nice to know whatcha found.

Did you go? If so, what do you have to report? (or did I miss your report? :( )

I'd like to ride the route Doug and I rode back from LA-B-V in reverse sometime......head across Meccacopia Trail to Box Canyon, Powerline to Pinkham Canyon, Pinkham Canyon up into Joshua Tree......then explore around in Joshua Tree to the southerly direction where your "tentative plan" was headed....

Bump

Did you go? If so, what do you have to report? (or did I miss your report? :lol: )

Bump

Bump (again) - Paging Captcham and/or SDLand.......what's the scoop?