Mikey777

EPA Ban on modifying factory street cars/motorcycles for racing

Not sure if this came up on the radar yet. SEMA is all over it.

The EPA is proposing new rules which would make it illegal for any person to modify a vehicle built for legal street use into a racing vehicle for track use only (including cars, jeeps, trucks, etc.) or to manufacture or sell parts for this purpose. This will also apply to highway motorcycles originally sold for street use (see third link).

The big killer is the fines for building and selling stuff for this purpose. "Knowingly manufacturing, selling, offering to sell, or installing any component that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of emissions of any regulated pollutant. Violation of same may draw a civil penalty of up to $3,750 for each component in violation"

It will essentially kill the aftermarket parts industry that is geared towards making and selling us cool engine performance parts, exhaust systems, etc. for our cars and bikes. They will only be allowed to make them for purpose built race cars and motorcycles, which there is essentially only a tiny market or they must be identical to the OEM part. If they sell to normal Joes, they will get fined, so I am sure that will just kill the industry, unless you just want to buy some sparkly tassels for your handlebars.

http://jalopnik.com/is-the-epa-trying-to-ban-the-conversion-of-street-cars-1758013542

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/epa-proposes-greenhouse-gas-rules-converting-light-vehicles-race-cars-whats-it-all

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/02/09/epa-proposal-would-restrict-road-to-racecar-conversions/

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/EPA-Memo.pdf?utm_source=Details+of+EPA%27s+LeMons+Law+Proposal&utm_campaign=LeMons+Law+Brief&utm_medium=email

I guess all of us will end up in JAIL! I am not anti government, fact is I love our military and other services. But we are being so over regulated it makes me sick, everyone wants to tell us how to live, what we can do and what is good for us. I am sick of that!!! Now I know why Dan Diego rides Baja, it is really light on regulations.

It's very difficult to not turn this into a political conversations (which we don't engage in here on SDAR), so I'm not going say anything more than this is just another example of why I'm sickened at the path our country, and California more specifically, is headed.

This is just as important to our sport (especially to guys like Arny who have a racing background) as a gate or your favorite trail being arbitrarily closed. Write your congressperson. There is also a petition, which may be worth signing. I have put a link below.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/tell-epa-withdraw-its-proposal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

It's very difficult to not turn this into a political conversations (which we don't engage in here on SDAR), so I'm not going say anything more than this is just another example of why I'm sickened at the path our counotry, and California more specifically, is headed.

+1

EPA is out of control, where is the science to support this?

Oh ... and petition signed - thanks for the link!

That's why they make an X or an R model

So average joes can build that 'R'ace engine .

Good luck catching the mods under my chassis.

Sorry planet. It's not like I'm sending a nuclear bomb over to a neighboring country.

Thx Mike, petition signed.

Or, we could just move to Imperial County, get a permit, and......

Burning-fields1_zpsf9gjvvkr.jpg

It's very difficult to not turn this into a political conversations (which we don't engage in here on SDAR), so I'm not going say anything more than this is just another example of why I'm sickened at the path our country, and California more specifically, is headed.

+1

This isn't going to be a popular opinion but here it goes. Now I'm not saying the EPA isn't a joke however I really wouldn't mind cleaner more efficient quieter cars,bikes,trucks etc. Honestly it's helping develop a lot better product. Who needs more than 650-775 horsepower in a totally epa legal street legal race car such as the new vette or hell cat or mustang. Most cars on the road right now will blow away dads 68 camaro in every facet of performance and do it all totally "smog legal". Now as far as bikes go well let's face it, does anyone here really notice the difference other than the noise associated with opening up the exhaust or other tricks done to "increase performance". It can all be attained as still pass an emissions test. Honestly a properly set up system burns cleaner and more efficiently and creates more power than one running dirty.

Again, I know this isnt the popular opinion but I'm just trying to look at the glass half full.

I understand and appreciate not only your point of view, but your courage in expressing it.

Dialog, especially the civil kind, is important to us as humans.

Thank you.

All that being said I signed the petition and fully support the cause.

I like quiet machines too. I have one bike that has an annoyingly loud exhaust on it, but it really did make a noticeable difference in the performance of that particular machine. If I could make this exhaust quieter without affecting the power output, I'd have already done it. All my other machines are pretty quiet. Admittedly (and ironically), most of those are two stroke bikes.The thing that I don't like about this new bill is that most racing products already have disclaimers on the description and packaging explaining that the product is not for "street use' or it is for "closed course competition" only. If the products are banned, then nobody who legitimately wants to race on a track will have access to these sorts of products. Lots of people who road race love aftermarket pipes, and not just because they make more power, but also they often shave a substantial amount of weight off the bike. The government is always trying to figure out new ways to reshape our habits, thinking and behavior and take away freedoms and choices. It never really ends.