PbdBlue

Toyota Tacoma as a bike hauler

Got my eye on getting a 2016 Tacoma Double Cab and wondering if anyone has experience hauling dirt bikes in the 5' bed? Any problem loading them straight in with the tailgate down? Not worried if they hang out the back as long as both wheels are firmly planted. Can't go with the 6' bed due to other considerations. Thoughts?

I have a fold up bed cover on my Tundra so I end up losing 1 foot to that and go straight in with the bikes. I put a ramp under the rear tire to help with the load on the tailgate. The tailgate held by itself, but it started to dent a little, so......

I have flat, non fold up ramps, so that works. a 2x6 would accomplish the same thing.

My Tacoma has a 6' bed as you know. Even with the 6' bed my Berg sticks out onto the tailgate far enough that I cannot close it. I can load my bike diagonally and it's fine, but it makes managing the other stuff difficult. With a 5' bed your bike's rear tire will be right at the end of the tailgate. Doable, but not ideal imo.

post-15392-0-31512800-1454082590_thumb.j

My Tacoma has a 6' bed as you know. Even with the 6' bed my Berg sticks out onto the tailgate far enough that I cannot close it. I can load my bike diagonally and it's fine, but it makes managing the other stuff difficult. With a 5' bed your bike's rear tire will be right at the end of the tailgate. Doable, but not ideal imo.

I have a Tundra right now so familiar with the tailgate down thing. Time to replace the Tundra and I need a 4wd that I can tow behind the motorhome (without bikes in it). I realize the 5' bed is less than ideal but in reality is it doable? Wouldn't take much to fab up a support for the tailgate if that is a concern.

The silver Tacoma pic is exactly how my bike sits in the Tundra. I push a ramp against the back of the front tire and lift the rear wheel onto it to take the load off of the tailgate.

My ramps are similar to these: http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html

Randy,

I assume you have read the industry reviews for the 2016 redesign?

Dave

Randy,

I assume you have read the industry reviews for the 2016 redesign?

Dave

Yes. The Colorado will not fit my needs well and frankly I think the Taco is a better off-roader. That and I have always had good experiences with the 5 Toyota's I've owned. I can't say that for my 1 Chevrolet experience. I had a Gen 1 Tacoma and loved it. My son still has it and going strong after 18 years. That said I'm not married to Toyota. I currently have a Toyota, a Nissan and a Honda.

I have a Tundra with a 5.5' bed, and it works fine for bikes but does require the tailgate down.

The 2016 Tacoma is a great truck. I know of 3 people with new ones, and they are very capable phenomenal trucks. Hopefully they're working prices better now that it's been out a while. My friend struggled to get one under sticker in November.

The Bagstr would Never presume to advise anyone on what truck to drive, anymore than what lady to date! Certainly not suggesting you follow the latest Web based opinion especially a ,,,,,,( wow, I almost put my foot in it ). You obviously have done your homework.

Have fun with that new truck, whatever bed length.

model unrelated but Ive been hauling bikes for years in my Ford Explorer sport trac 5 foot bed (its a short bed for sure), the rear wheels sit right on the open tailgate. I like to strap the rears down just to prevent the bouncing action with the open tailgate.

The Bagstr would Never presume to advise anyone on what truck to drive, anymore than what lady to date! Certainly not suggesting you follow the latest Web based opinion especially a ,,,,,,( wow, I almost put my foot in it ). You obviously have done your homework.

Have fun with that new truck, whatever bed length.

Yeah I have a very particular set of requirements no doubt. That and you really have to look at reviews from the perspective of your own personal needs. Is there something I'm overlooking?

They still can't keep 2016 Tacomas in stock...They are gone usually within a couple days.