TdubLady

KTM or KLR?

V Strom is not meant for real dirt...or maybe I'm just not very good. I took mine on dirt, and it was really rough, and ended up with dented pipes, etc. Shocked I didn't puncture the oil filter (look at the placement)...not my choice

I just do everything on my 650l. Road, dirt, eats it all. Just alittle on the heavy side.

I personally like the 950-990 bikes if you're going to do any serious off roading, plus less electronic crap.

If just doing easy dirt you may prefer the 1190.

They're almost giving away '14 DL1000 Stroms at Fun Bike Center:

http://www.funbike.com/shop/land/2014-suzuki-dl1000-v-strom-abs/

Word is they bought a batch of bikes on the cheap from a failed dealer. Is the 1190 worth more than 2x one of these? Rationally, no way. Emotionally, different story. Hope you find something that satisfies at least one side of your brain!

That is A LOT of bike for the money! More of a pseudo ADV/Commuter, but still a great deal...

Add a few hundred for a good skid plate, and some Kenda Big Blocks, and you should be good to go.

Another good bike to look at would be the NC700x. Inexpensive, pretty good street bike, bulletproof as the day is long (Half a Honda Fit motor), 60+ mpg, and with some knobbies, can do this in the right hands. My Father in law got one to commute on and it's a great bike. You can find used ones well under $5k.

Oh, and if he likes the NC700x, it may whet his appetite for the new Africa Twin which should be here around summertime and be $4-5k cheaper than the 1190. It even has optional DCT!

Smoking deal on the Strom! Downs and Stoke do well on theirs. For moderate fireroads, they are fine as long as ridden within their limits.

Yeah, I keep looking at that Strom deal. It's about the same as my 2005 Tiger, big bike that looks adventure but is mostly good at graded gravel for most people.

So what is the deal right now? How low can they go?

Before this turns completely into a Vstrom thread....

Let me first say thank you for all the input! It's been amazing to read and share with Todd. I will try earnestly to not make this reply longer than necessary, yet cover everything. I have come to realize that men shopping for motorcycles is like women shopping for shoes: it's a process, and each has to do it their own way.

First there's Todd:

He's 5'9" and muscular, prob 180.

He's been riding since he was a kid, I would call him skilled easily. He can ride anything, and is one to adapt himself to whatever vehicle, as opposed to modifying said vehicle to him.

He doesn't test drive/ride stuff, never has.

We have a full shop and abilities to do most any maintenance here.

Next, "trading the pig for the pork":

A very valid point to consider. Really no need to keep the big bike. We won't be taking any long trips on it, now that the camper truck has its new life(google "massaged metal if you wanna see) and the little trailer is set up. He used to do 3-4 week long trips around the US, Canada and Mexico with a buddy, but there won't be an opportunity to do that again for at least 4 years. We agree the ideal is to go somewhere, set up camp with the truck, then be able to bike everywhere. That could be street, hwy, dirt, or any combination.

Again, no, he's not ever even gonna consider a TW. Just won't.

I do, eventually hope to move to something bigger-but I'll never get rid of my TW. Just won't.

Ultimately, I think he's gonna pick what he picks, regardless of logic-and I totally get that.

I will keep you updated on his search.

He keeps coming back to that KTM 500EXC, I'm pretty sure we're getting something orange.

For an all around bike, the KTM 500EXC is a fantastic bike. Great power, street legal, and exceptional off road capability. Good for short trips and longer baja rides. I wouldn't do long roadies on it.

He keeps coming back to that KTM 500EXC, I'm pretty sure we're getting something orange.

That is some yummy Kool-Aid...

Yup....professional riders make really big bikes look easy. Your actual experience may vary.

They're almost giving away '14 DL1000 Stroms at Fun Bike Center:

http://www.funbike.com/shop/land/2014-suzuki-dl1000-v-strom-abs/

Word is they bought a batch of bikes on the cheap from a failed dealer. Is the 1190 worth more than 2x one of these? Rationally, no way. Emotionally, different

story. Hope you find something that satisfies at least one side of your brain!

CL ad:

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS NEW $8969 out the door total cost - $8969 (SAN DIEGO)
00505_aBDWjbUoTGD_600x450.jpg
6607.png6607.png6608.png6608.png
marker-shadow.png
marker-icon.png
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
5755 Kearny Villa Rd

(google map)

2014 SUZUKI V-STROM 1000 ABS

condition: new

engine displacement (CC): 1000

fuel: gas

odometer: 1

title status: clean

transmission: manual

more ads by this user

2014 Suzuki V Strom 1000 ABS, NEW 0 miles, full factory 12 month warranty. MSRP is $12,699 + Fees, now on sale for $8,969.82 Out the door. That means tax, license, doc, all dmv fees, everything is included in that price, based off of San Diego 8% sales tax. That's almost 45% off, a savings of $5,916 off original full retail price. If you have ever wanted a touring or adventure bike now is your time. You will never find a deal like this again.

Here are a list of the competitors and how much more they cost:

KTM 1190 Adv $16,699

Yamaha Super Tenere $16,190

BMW R 1200 GS $21,210

^^^^ YOU CAN ALMOST BUY 2 OF THESE FOR THE PRICE OF 1 OF THOSE! THAT'S HOW CRAZY THIS DEAL IS!

COME CHECK IT OUT ALONG WITH OUR HUGE SELECTION OF NEW AND USED SPORTS BIKES, CRUISERS, DUAL SPORTS, JET SKIS AND SCOOTERS. Biggest selection in the San Diego area. We also have a full accessories department, as well as a service center. We are your 1 stop shop.

DO NOT BUY A NEW OR USED MOTORCYCLE WITHOUT CALLING ME FIRST! If you dont, you will be losing money. I offer financing for good and bad credit. As little as $0 down payment.

MILITARY DISCOUNTS

***CALL TONY OR COREY @ 858-278-6635****

We are open:

M - F: 9:00AM - 7:00PM

Sat: 9:00AM - 6:00PM

Sun: 11AM - 5:00PM

5755 Kearny Villa Rd

San Diego, CA 92123

KLR 650 very little work to be done or maintance, lots of goodies to add on, not fast, but will go anyplace, not good at anything,but good at most things.

KTM is like a high class call girl, you will pay and pay and pay,,,, high maintance, however it goes fast, and is sweet, like a high class call girl

Funny that this is about a KLR vs a (big) KTM to accompany a TW. TDUBLady (I swear I didn't see your name before I chose mine), I ride my TW pretty hard and I love it's terrainability. My riding buddy had KLR650 that he sold because it's just plain not as easy to ride in extremely gnarly, tight terrian as the TW. He bought a TW shortly before that and bought a (used) KTM 525 exc a few months ago. I'm telling you, on the style of trails we like to ride, the TW is great, as is the KTM525. People misunderstand how B.A. the TW actually is. If you're on the highway or freeway, maybe not so much (why don't they make a TW 400?) In anything that resembles a muddy, rocky, rutted, sandy (even snowy) trail, I dare someone on an 1190 or other big adv bike to follow me on my TW. Depending on what type of riding you like to do, HE may be the one trying to keep up if he's on a big adv bike that's really 80/20 street/dirt ratio. It's all about where you ride the most... either way, any bike that can do dirt is way better than not having one that can! Cheers

Funny that this is about a KLR vs a (big) KTM to accompany a TW. TDUBLady (I swear I didn't see your name before I chose mine), I ride my TW pretty hard and I love it's terrainability. My riding buddy had KLR650 that he sold because it's just plain not as easy to ride in extremely gnarly, tight terrian as the TW. He bought a TW shortly before that and bought a (used) KTM 525 exc a few months ago. I'm telling you, on the style of trails we like to ride, the TW is great, as is the KTM525. People misunderstand how B.A. the TW actually is. If you're on the highway or freeway, maybe not so much (why don't they make a TW 400?) In anything that resembles a muddy, rocky, rutted, sandy (even snowy) trail, I dare someone on an 1190 or other big adv bike to follow me on my TW. Depending on what type of riding you like to do, HE may be the one trying to keep up if he's on a big adv bike that's really 80/20 street/dirt ratio. It's all about where you ride the most... either way, any bike that can do dirt is way better than not having one that can! Cheers

I'd love a TW 300, even! Just so my hands/feet don't go tingly as soon. Although the new sprockets have helped a little. I think some of the guys on the big bike secretly envy it sometimes because it's so easy to ride. I'd love it if it got one-I don't think you could beat the price/fun ratio,really, with much of anything.

KTM 1190 Adv $16,699

Yamaha Super Tenere $16,190

BMW R 1200 GS $21,210

^^^^ YOU CAN ALMOST BUY 2 OF THESE FOR THE PRICE OF 1 OF THOSE! THAT'S HOW CRAZY THIS DEAL IS!

Sure! And I can get many bicycles for the price of the Vstrom. Hey, Imagine how many stuffed kitty cats I could buy for that money!

This is a silly comparison, and a sillier statement. VStrom is a fine motorcycle. Nothing wrong with it, and it represents a very good value. But it's not in the same league as any of the bikes to which it's being compared. If it was not unsafe to do so, I'd enjoy taking a vstrom down to Baja or Death Valley and beat the living hell out of it like I've done with my 990. I promise you, their'd be little left of the vstrom when I was done. And possibly little left on me.

There's a lot to be said about the Strom- great bike. Leave it at that.

I'd love a TW 300, even! Just so my hands/feet don't go tingly as soon. Although the new sprockets have helped a little. I think some of the guys on the big bike secretly envy it sometimes because it's so easy to ride. I'd love it if it got one-I don't think you could beat the price/fun ratio,really, with much of anything.

Agreed. I put a 47 in for the rear sprocket, helped for cruising speed but did cut down a bit on the goat like quality of 1st gear. What sprocket did you put in?

ALSO: I looked at the "Massaged Metal" GMCummins... that is an outstanding overland vehicle! How about if your husband does a KTM/KLR blend like he did with the trucks?? Haha