Covered in Dust

First Aid Class 2/25/16

After my trip to northern Nevada where Bagstr had a fairly bad crash with a couple of deep cuts to his forearm it made me aware of how little I was carrying in the way of first aid supplies. So I started putting together a kit that should handle most basic mishaps on the trail. Then with the tragedy that occurred out in Ocotillo over New Years I got to thinking that taking a refresher course in first aid would be a good idea (I was a registered EMT in the late 70's but have forgotten most of what I knew). After looking into what was available I didn't find anything that really covered the types of injuries we are most likely to incounter on the trail. So I contacted WakeMedic who is a paramedic and asked if he'd teach a class on the type of first aid we need. He said great he's all in. So I'm looking to see who's interested in coming to a class. I'd hold it at my industrial building in San Marcos and it will be very low key and a fun time to get together an learn some important stuff.

Date 2/25

Covered in First Aid

OK here is the run down for the class. If anyone thinks there is something else we should cover let me know.

Basic CPR with mannequin we will also use this to show the proper way to remove a helmet and when to leave it on.

Basic wound care

Trauma care

Concussion Protocol

Broken bones and how to treat and also how to recognize compartment syndrome that could lead to loss of limb

First aid kits and what to carry

We will also discuss basic trail safety,

Radios

Spot type devices and when to hit the SOS button

Maps and I will talk briefly about some of the features on my Garmin Montana.

Eddie is a long time paramedic and will be doing most of the teaching with a little help from Paul Bowers on radios and from me on Spot device.

We would like an accurate count on who will be coming because Eddie will be bringing supplies for people to train on and I need to bring chairs and pizza. Bring your own beer or soda.

Thursday February 25th show up anytime around 6 and we'll start the class around 6:30 ish.

185 Vallecitos De Oro

San Marcos, Ca. 92069

This class is aimed at adventure riders who might be hours or days from medical attention.

CiD

Like This

Depending on the date & time it's held...I'm in.

Why do I need a First Aid Class?? Oh, just remembered, remote locations, hazardous trails, rowdy team mates .

Although I have taken many 1st Aid courses over the years, they primarily deal with heart attacks and clear the airway issues. Great Ideal, I will volunteer for suture practice.

Bags

I'm interested I took first aid class with CPR certs couple years ago and first aid class was a joke, definitely interested in learning more in depth injuries for moto riding.

yup - IN...terested.

As First Responders, we were issued small Trauma Packs and got the training. Some simple items with the right training can save a life.

Thx CID and WM.

Edit: Construction starting late today (thurs) so may not get there.

Great idea, SDBMW has hosted such training in the past but I was not able to make any...I'd love to go to this.

Great idea CID, I will attend. I have also put together a first aid kit mainly based around stopping serious bleeding, quikclot, israeli bandage, tourniquet, butterflies, etc. I used a molle pouch so easy to attach to camlebak, backpack and even chest protector. Last thing I want to be doing (or have my riding buddies doing) is running around trying to figure out how to keep me/buddy from bleeding out.

Great Idea......."in" (if on a weeknight Monday-Thursday)......

Very interested. Would bring my daughters (11 & 13) too who are just starting to ride.

Only issue for me is the date. Hopefully I won't be out of town on travel for work.

I'm fine with kids, just be aware that adult beverages will probably be consumed before,during and after the class. WakeMedic (Eddie) is on duty right now,but as soon as he gets a chance to look at his schedule over the next 4 to 8 weeks I will post up some dates that don't conflict with other events. We're looking for a mid week Tuesday,Wednesday, or Thursday evening starting around 6 ish. I'll probably provide pizza and everyone can bring the beverage of their choice. We're working out what will be covered in the class and will post the areas covered as soon as we finalize them.

CiD

I'll update the 1st post as soon as we have a date.