Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Get Involved, Stay Informed...1/5 Important SDORC Meeting

Tuesday Jan 5th...Cleveland National Forest supervisor will talk about closures and new trails...this affects all of us...short notice, but show up if u can...I'll be there.

Ranch House Restaurant in Santee, dinner/social at 6, meeting at 7.

They will be talking about the closure of Pancake Rock, aka Carve Acre rd, among other things. I hope to make it tonight

I'm not gonna make it, stayed home sick today...I am pretty sure Ed Stovin, President of SDORC will come to our club meeting in 2 weeks.

I didn't make it to the meeting but I got this email from Roger Mullins at JustRuns:

Tonight I went to the ORC meeting where the speaker was a representative of the Forest Service.

My primary interest was to hear about the status of Carvacre Rd. aka Pancake Rock Trail.

The current status, as far as the Forest Service is concerned, is that the trail is designated as OPEN. However the Forest Service is in the process of changing that status to CLOSED. The intention to close the trail was announced months ago and the public can mail objections to that status change until January 19th 2016 when the Comment Period will be closed.

However, the whole issue is moot. The trail is effectively closed because both ends of the trail are on Private, Non-Forest Service, land and those two owners have installed locked gates.

The north west end of the trail in the Wisecarver area is owned by a landowner who installed a locked gate at least 10 years ago because he didn’t want the public driving across his land. The other end, where it meets Lyons Valley Rd. is owned by the City of San Diego Water Department. They installed a gate a couple of years ago but only locked it recently. The Forest Service has no control over either end so whether they designate it Open or Closed really makes little difference since there is no way to get to the Forest Service property by motorized vehicle.

It’s a shame to lose access to Pancake Rock Trail because the trail was a really fun, challenging trail and close to town.

However, few can argue that a Property Owner, in this case a private individual on one end and the City of San Diego Water Department on the other end doesn’t have the right to close land they own to public access.

Wow what a bummer was decently close to my house and was a good run to do quick test rides olus catch a good view

another post from JustRuns

If you are interested in submitting a Comment to the Forest Service regarding the closure of Carvacre Road aka. Pancake Rock Trail, see the link below from Ed Stovin (President of the Off-Road Coalition) .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:58 PM
To: Roger Mullins
Subject: RE: The January meeting

http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=43836 You can read the analysis and look at the map called "Carveacre Area".

The link, second to the bottom, Draft EA_UnauthRouteDecom_Comment Invitation tells you where to email.

If you are not sure what to say or if you would like me to read your comments before you submit, just ask.

Ed Stovin