Crawdaddy

Tragic loss of life and critical injury to two fellow riders/friends

Link to D37 Announcement: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?67239-Barie-Morris-R-I-P

Barrie Morris was a good friend/fellow Big Bear Trail Rider. Likewise, Andrew Pritchard is also a good friend/fellow Big Bear Trail Rider and he remains in critical condition in a Palm Springs Hospital.

I'm glad I was able to spend some "one on one" time with Barry at the Bullhead Invitational this Fall.....such a great guy

I was not present at the ride on Friday, but I know enough of the details to know that this head on accident between two longtime friends/riding partners is not only tragic, it appears that it was also preventable. That information makes the sting even worse. I spent Friday/Saturday angry and in disbelief about the information that I was fed regarding the circumstances surrounding the accident. That was easier than processing the reality/grieving that one friend had lost his life and one was critically injured.

ALWAYS expect on-coming traffic.

ALWAYS ride with heightened caution when back tracking to locate a rider who blew a turn.

Try to convince your principle riding partner(s) to invest in radio communication.

R.I.P. Barrie. Thoughts are with you Andrew.

Tragic...

I met Barrie at some Big Bear Runs, Ridgecrest 250's and the Bull Head Invitational. These guys could flat out ride. Barrie's English accent and laugh were unmistakeable...R.I.P "Mate!"

Heal fully and quickly Andrew.

ALWAYS expect / anticipate on-coming traffic.

that's horrible. the collision was 2 bikes of 2 friends head on, out together....a very ugly thought. very sorry to hear. Be careful out there guys/gals.

Terrible news. That is my worst nightmare,lose track of riders in group and riding to find them is dangerous.RIP.

I saw on FB but didn't know the cause....this sucks big time.

Godspeed Barrie, and hope the Andrew will be OK.

Condolences to friends and family.

The only silver lining is that maybe it will give the rest of us a moment of pause as we are riding down the trail. Stay on your side of the track and think of on-coming riders at every blind curve or rise. It has been almost 13 months since my son had his head-on collision. It could have been much worse for him even though it was awful. It is a significant risk to all of us trail riders. RIP and condolences to the families.

steve

Frank (BBTR) update about Andrew:

Just left Andrew and Paula. Andrew had surgery today to set his jaw and other leg. His jaw was not broken as bad as the Doc originally thought so it was easier to set with just 1 plate. Now that both his legs are set his feet and toes are regaining color and are warm. He is setting up at a 45 degree angle and moving his left arm around. He opened his eyes widely twice, seemed to make eye contact with me and tried to talk.

Since he has had surgery 2 days in a row they are giving him the day off tomorrow with the intent to start weening him off the ventilator. I am truly amazed of his progress since Saturday. He is almost over the hump. The goal now is to avoid blood clotting, infection and pneumonia. Keep the prayers and good thoughts for Andrew coming.

This is so sad.....though I didn't know barrie personally, I'm involved with the big bear trail riders....and as a fellow rider, feel the pain and loss.... thoughts and prayers for Andrew and barrier's family and close friends, and those that were there....how awful.....thoughts and prayers for Andrew and Barrie's family and close friends.....

it brings home the importance of safety and caution......

many times I feel slower than a lot of guys I ride with........the extra speed just isn't worth the risk to me...some guys don't seem to have fun unless they are riding "on the edge of control".....or "off the edge".....

I choose CAUTION and a speed that's always in control....and for the past few years, it's working well for me, with far less mishaps/crashes, far less broken bike parts, and far fewer injuries....though we can't prevent them all, and there will be incidents, we really can prevent most..

I had my share of broken bones, stiches, plates/screws, and several sprained knees and ankles.......anywhere I can't see the trail....I slow down and expect traffic: whether a friend, a stranger, a bike, a jeep, a razor.....a deer.....so I arrive a few minutes later....no big deal.....I still love to ride and explore new and old places on my bikes.....

Stay Safe out there

Friday last up on Diablo Drop, we had a chat with Ranger Don regarding the accident. According to Don, the accident happened at the intersection of Short and Font's Washes. Traveling @ about 40 mph. My response, " What! The line of sight is wide open at that point. Reportedly it was very dusty at the time of the accident.

In contrast to the Track, When in Doubt, Shut it down.

I rode out to the site of the crash between Barrie and Andrew this past Monday.  The BBTR crew also staged their annual campout and placed a small memorial at the site of the crash.  Many club members were present including Barrie's widow, Ruthie.   It's been a tough year and the thought of the crash/loss of a friend's life invaded my day on Sunday.......it felt good to get out there Monday for a bit of reflection/closure one year later......I'm sure my BBTR brothers and sisters felt the same sorrow/release. 

FYI the line of sight is NOT open at the sight of the crash.......I could imagine how it happened as I stood there reflecting.......that said, it also could've been easily avoided with a few safety precautions and the use of radios.....be safe out there.......not posting site location specifics on this forum..... 

41D6A723-7399-4B8A-B1D7-4CCCC378E61C_zps

F424D7C2-E68B-4A5D-83E8-28AB541D4E13_zps

Very sad indeed.  After being involved in no less than 5 head on collisions myself, I can't stress enough how important it is to take it easy on trails, whether you are back tracking or just happen to meet another rider coming from the other direction.  The last one I was in was caused because the other rider assumed that he and his friends were the only people out there, and even though the probability of anybody hitting head on was very low, it happened anyway.