I wanted to get a Baja rip in before the holidays, and after not being able to recruit any others for a 3 day trip I decided to go solo. After talking to Dave (mufflerbearings) and reading his ride report I decided to use that as a rough template for my trip. Thanks to Dave for answering some of my questions and helping me out!

Also thanks to Brian (Bp619) for letting me borrow his Spot finder. That was really nice to have since I was solo and at times very far off the beaten path. In the end there were ZERO issues, no flats or mechanicals, and no dirt naps

1150860-borat_very_nice.jpg

Day 1: 160 miles (20 miles pavement getting from Tecate to Compadre Road). 13k feet of elevation

I was across the border at 9:30 AM, and took the toll road over to El Hongo to pick up the Compadre Road. I figured that would be a nice warmup and while it was a pretty chilly morning, by 11 or so the sun was out in full force and was just perfect riding conditions with some moisture on the ground and nice clear sky.

Solo%20Baja%202015_002_zpslmkaasdp.jpg

I made it to Ojos Negros by 11:45 for an early lunch. I topped off on fuel even though I didn't need it but hey, when you see gas in Baja you grab it.

Heading south, I picked up the road towards Tres Hermanos, nothing too special and getting close to Tres Hermanos I picked up part of the race course which was beat up (surprise!)

Also shame on SCORE, they need to take down all their signs...kind of annoying to see ALL their signs up everywhere littering the roads.

The trail onto Uruapan was a little technical in parts. Nothing crazy, but just really taking it easy since my goal for the trip was to not lay the bike down. Nice scenery though into Uruapan and made pretty good time, only coming across maybe 4 or 5 unlocked gates.

Solo%20Baja%202015_003_zpsnbfzzlkr.jpg

By 3:30 I was riding coastline on my way towards Coyote Cal's

Solo%20Baja%202015_004_zpsqgbyzzlt.jpg

Solo%20Baja%202015_005_zpsqpo1ejur.jpg

I made it to CC shortly before sunset and I was the only person there, which was a little surprising! Sunset was awesome though!

Solo%20Baja%202015_006_zps4rvgwmzi.jpg

Solo%20Baja%202015_007_zps81dgdltc.jpg

The owner of Coyote Cal's (Rick) sent me on a wild goose hunt in Erendira for dinner. The place he had recommended was closed and I didn't see anything else open unfortunately Back to the hostel for my tuna pack and power bar dinner...yum! That was very unfulfilling after a long day of riding.

Day 2: 100 miles (20 miles pavement getting from Camalu to San Quintin). 5k feet of elevation

I was up with the sun and the roosters for day 2. Got a quick breakfast and then I was off to plinking around by the coast. I had no real plan today other than to poke around and get to San Quintin as Dave had good things to say about the Cielito Lindo motel.

There were some pretty neat area to ride south of Erendira but I ended up going through a huge farm that had some no riding signs up, but I just went through at a respectful pace and there were no issues. I found some really cool singletrack north of Cabo Colonet (I think Chilly White cut it). I rode it but then came across a bunch of no tresspassing signs at the end of the trail, followed by locked gates that made it very hard for me to get back out to the "road" so I could carry on futher south. In the end, I was riding on private property for a few miles in attempt to find an unlocked gate and a public road for me to continue on. I felt like a right knobber riding on private property, and that type of behavior is exacly what gives bikers a bad name. But I just rode at a slow "respectful" pace and just hoped I didn't come across a pissed off rancher but luckily I found an unlocked gate before coming across a rancher.

Going futher south right around Cabo Colonet the coastal cliffs and views were pretty awesome!

Solo%20Baja%202015_008_zpsism6p5yj.jpg

I had to find some cell reception at 10:00 AM to make an important call, so I found this nice office which had damn near full 3G service:

Solo%20Baja%202015_009_zps6hfmrrrf.jpg

This was probably the best part of the trip -- with this view and location I accepted a job offer with Fox Racing! I was in my office for about a hour getting them some forms and signatures they needed (isn't phone technology crazy these days) and with a huge smile on my face continued brap'in south.

I stopped by cuatro casas hostel south of Colonet as Dave told me it was an interesting place. Super nice location and there was an empty swimming pool there you can skate if you don't have a dirt bike to ride instead. There were only 2 people at the hostel -- these 2 hippies that were on a road trip from BC down to Costa Rica. One was from Bend, OR and the other was from England. The dude was showing me his pottery he was making:

Solo%20Baja%202015_010_zpsyvbpoxbh.jpg

I was patient and acted interested in his pottery before saying I was gonna head off in search of some tacos. They offered me a hippie lunch of hummus, salad, and bread. No sh*t! OK, so what the hell, I accepted their offer and got them some firewood from the owner of the hostel as payment for their treasures.

Solo%20Baja%202015_011_zpsig8t60mp.jpg

I stopped by to the see the shipwreck on my way to Camalu for fuel and to pick up the highway as it was getting pretty late

Solo%20Baja%202015_012_zpsina5ejhv.jpg

At the Pemex in Camalu 3 other riders rode up with their Ford Raptor chase vehicle. Nice setup! I asked them what they thought between Cielito Lindo motel or the Old Mill. They really recommended the Old Mill and said that's they were heading to come on and party with them. So being a solo loser I took them up on that offer! The Old Mill didn't disappoint and the cold Pacifico you get at reception is just awesome. I was able to negotiate a 2nd Pacifico in with my room so I won. Next door there is a good bar and restaurant so had an awesome dinner (Yellowtail caught that day) and plenty of bevvies to make me feel a bit sluggish the next morning!

Solo%20Baja%202015_013_zpstzsggesy.jpg

Solo%20Baja%202015_014_zpsiiacfbpx.jpg

Day 3: 250 miles (~70 miles pavement getting from Camalu to Wine Road and from Compadre Rd back to Tecate). 15k feet of elevation

Taking off my the Old Mill I wanted to ride the beach north to pick up Hwy 1 around Camalu. It took every ounce of self-control not to hit the limiter in 6th gear on the wide open beach! I set a rule for myself to not go over 60 mph even on wide open roads and beach so I stuck to that...lame

Solo%20Baja%202015_015_zpshd32qfz6.jpg

Solo%20Baja%202015_017_zps5ofnqxle.jpg

Nice selfie douche!

Solo%20Baja%202015_016_zpscxy1rt0l.jpg

Got some amazing breakfast burritos in Vicente Guerrero. It looked popular so I stopped and was very impressed! Had a heuvos con chorizo and huevos with shredded beef. The tortillas made to order where just awesome.

Onward to the wine road. Very nice views! But the first 3/4 of the road was in really bad shape, super sh*t washboard. Boo hoo!

Solo%20Baja%202015_018_zpsoweathnx.jpg

After almost getting tagged by a car flying around a blind corner, I made it to Valle T to grab me one of them Quesatacos that Dave had recommended. Holy crap that was delicious!

Solo%20Baja%202015_019_zpscdgo3vod.jpg

A few miles up Hwy 3, I took an awesome dirt road that bypasses a good chunk of the highway. Was really glad I took that and came across a wild horse kicking the sh*t out of a cactus (?). I guess there were some yummy treats in there.

Solo%20Baja%202015_020_zpsuq28ejnv.jpg

Back to Hwy 3, burned that up to KM55 to connect back with Compadre Rd. As I was heading back into Tecate on the toll roll the clouds and weather were really rolling in! I was very surprised I made it back without getting dumped on.

Great trip and looking forward to getting back down there again this winter hopefully! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Dddddddddang!!!

High-Five_zpsyajkjvca.png

You accepted a job offer with Fox from your dirt bike on a beach in Baja?!

Very nice RR!

I love that route--all of it, and you did it so well.

Couldn't help but notice the Kug decal at the taco place in VDT (and my Baja 2015 decal right above it)! I was just there a couple of weeks ago.

And congrats on the job. There can't possibly be a better means of accepting such a cool job offer.

Nice write up skeelo. Well done on a solo ride, and congrats on the job.

Nice job Jacob glad you finally made your baja trip this year I was tired of hearing you bitch about it everytime we hung out.

Sweet pics and write-up, Jacob! I wish I could have joined you, but it looks like you managed to find the goods and had a great solo ride. I was laughing at your description of the hippies and their hippy food; I'm guessing they didn't source that Organic Sesame Tahini Sauce at the local tienda. And great news on the job!

All I heard was that you now work for Fox, and thereby are my new BFF.

:heh:

In all seriousness, awesome ride report and props for taking on a solo mission.

I feel like a big puss since I haven't ridden in Mexico for over 10 years now.

Great report! I am heading out on Christmas Day to do a solo ride from Ensenada to Cabo on my 500 EXC, so glad to see others are having success out there alone.