Bluhdow

KTM vs. DRZ + YZ

I'm going to check it out this weekend, right after a ride on my DRZ. So I'll have a decent reference for the relative improvement. If he won't negotiate the price I'll walk and take some time to check out a WR450. There are some nice options out there at the moment.

Thank you all very much! Appreciate the guidance and will keep you posted.

Dude, if you want to ride a WR250 without pressure, make arrangements to meet up with Goofy Footer Tim. He has a 2006 WR450, a 2012 WR450, and a WR250f. You can get a taste of each without any pressure and see which one you like best.

FYI, if you're seriously interested in a plated 250 and don't mind a kicker, I'd probably sell mine for well under $3k. It has a Rekluse, full titanium FMF, tubliss wheels, full Precision Concepts suspension, fresh top end, and ton of other goodies. It doesn't get much use and I really need a smaller second bike that my wife will ride. You could put an Athena kit on it (although the $/hp doesn't really pencil out, especially with a fresh top end) and still be under $3k.

Vac, I appreciate your candidness and like your style!

Maybe it makes sense for you, me, and goofy to sync up for a ride. I'd love to take your 250 for a spin and am open to a potential sale.

Shoot me a pm and let's see if we can make t happen!

There's no way any drz400 makes 48hp unless it has a big bore

Kit.

Also you can't just compare displacement from older bikes and compare them to newer fuel injected bikes and expect them to be around the same horsepower. Have you ever felt like your drz needed more power? I have carb and cams on my drz and power was never the issue. It's the weight and suspension and everything else on the bike is lacking.

There's no way any drz400 makes 48hp unless it has a big bore

Kit.

Also you can't just compare displacement from older bikes and compare them to newer fuel injected bikes and expect them to be around the same horsepower. Have you ever felt like your drz needed more power? I have carb and cams on my drz and power was never the issue. It's the weight and suspension and everything else on the bike is lacking.

Reference:

DR-Z 400 E 2003

Overall Length: 2,235 mm (88.0 in)

Overall Width: 825 mm (32.5 in)

Overall Height: 1,235 mm (48.8 in)

Seat height: 945 mm (37.0 in)

Ground Clearance: 325 mm (12.8 in)

Wheelbase: 1,475 mm (58.0 in)

Dry Weight: 119 kg (262 lbs)

Engine type: Water-cooled 398 cc DOHC 1-cylinder, 4 valves. 48 hp (35 kW)/ 9,000 rpm, 41 Nm/ 7,500 rpm.

Not saying it's the gospel, and I'm sure that's at the crank, but keep in mind that the E and K model were non DOT, have the 39mm flat slide Keihin stock, and different cams/exhaust.

BTW: Vacmans WR is really well sorted for that price!

Thumpertalk I've read about drz builds with 50 hp and none are stock 400cc. I have the piggy s model but I have the better flat slide fcr39-mx carb along with stage 2 hotcams and an racing exhaust and it's probably around 40 hp and the only thing different is I'm running the 3 layer base gasket so slightly less compression.

But it does say 48 hp on the site and that's the drz400e model. Anyways...who wants kick start only haha

I had a 2000 DRZ-400E that I purchased newish from Temecula Motorsports.

The bike had been used by an emagazine writer for an eval. As I recall, he rode it a bit, then put on a new pipe and took out an air snorkel, and rejetted it, and then wrote about the differences. Once done he give return it to the dealer, who sold it to me as newish with a big discount :)

Bike ran great, much stronger than the street version, but when I put the Baja Designs kit on it and tried to get it licensed the DVM said no way - red sticker only. I had a 2000 GXSR-750 for my track bike that I did get a plate for, so I just stuck that on the DRZ figuring if I ever did get pulled over the odds were low anyone would look further than 2000 Suzuki on the registration.

But thankfully a year or so later, I heard that the DMV was opening a window to allow some bikes to get plated. Seems that there had been a lot of confusion at the DMV and in order to clear the queues and level the playing field they were offering a one time only chance to get some bikes plated. Went in the next day and came away with a plate for it.

The bike compared well against other 450 class machines for power but was front end heavy when trying to raise the front over ruts and the like. It would often just spin the back tire where the guys riding next to me on a Honda 450x would seem to have a lot less problem raising the front end in the same terrain. Often we were running the same back tire, so we should have had comparable traction.

Other than that, no real complaints about the DRZ, it was very reliable and easy to maintain. I sold it to a friend at work who still has it and says it's still running fine going on 16 years later.

Moved up to a Husky TE-510 that was a totally different animal. Main complaint with it was a pop-stall issue off idle that I never got tuned out of it.

Now riding a 2015 KTM EXC 500 which I prefer over either of the two previous bikes.

+1 on the 350 for a well rounded all around bike. It won't be as good as a big bore for wide open spaces, it won't be as light and nimble as a 2-stroke in the tight stuff, but it does everything pretty damn well. The biggest surprise for me was how much lighter it road than the 500 even though they are only a few pounds different in weight. The rotational mass really does make a big difference. I am very happy with mine after about 8 months of ownership. As you can see from my signature I've run the gammit on bikes. I've loved them all and they all have their strong points. Try as many as you can from the cadre around here. I'd offer to let you take mine for a spin but won't likely be riding in the next few weekends. PM if you want some details on mods for it.

This one is a great deal.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcd/5380706119.html

Wr250F vs DRZ400S...my "seat of the pants" impression. WR felt like a mountain bike...great suspension, and great power up high. not near enough grunt for tech trails (for me) but it was a blast on the track. DRZ is well-balanced, with decent torque, and cheap suspension. If a wR450 fits you, take it to George for suspension work, and call it a day

That's not that great for a holdover '15 unless it was with no fees. Rumor has it 3 bros KTM is doing right at MSRP out the door on 16's, so that would make it about 9200 with no setup or fees. Considering a year of depreciation plus unknown fees and the deal is a wash at best and likely a loss on the 15.

KTM of Murrieta is a brand new dealership looking to move product. They have one holdover '15 500 and one 350-xcw. They also have a brand new '14 450 Xc-f. http://www.ktmofmurrieta.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1476510&p=2&vc=off-road&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

I'd be shocked if they don't deal. They're in KTM corporate's backyard and so far the Bmw dealership is doing a lot better, or so I am told.

Interesting thread. I'm new to the board and I've spent some time reading a lot of these threads. I've been lusting over a DP bike for a while. I grew up racing motocross and ripping around the Santa Monica MTNs on my 2-strokes. Or course today, doing that would land you in jail no doubt.

I'm a Yamaha guy at heart... I'm leaning more toward the "motocross" style bike. I've read great things about the KLR...but fear it's just too heavy. I've warmed up the the DRZ after researching it. Love the WR250R...but I know it's not enough power for my portly butt. I'd love to have a legally plated WR450. I don't want an AZ plate. I'm wondering how hard it is to plate one...or keep the plate on one. I really like the KTMs...but they are $$$ and are pretty tall for my inseam. I can tippy toe the WR250r and the DRZ400. I like the Huskies too...but they're just a KTM painted white from what I hear.

Some personal stats.

I'm a "seasoned" dude in my 40's, my "radical" days are but a nice memory. I currently have a Harley softtail "bar hopper".

I weigh 200...need to lose about 15.

I'm 5,9

I'm not planning on doing any track riding. I'd be more into fire road style riding than technical or single-track. Who knows...that may change.

I had a DRZ400E for many years and it was a great bike. If you look / ask around you can probably find a plated Yammie for the same or very similar price to what many DRZ's seem to be selling at.

IMO, the only reason to have a DRZ400 vs a WR would be for heavy road miles but then many would point you towards a larger displacement bike.

A WR will definitely outperform the DRZ in the dirt.

A 250cc fourstroke in the Anza Borrego sand is a strain on the motor (and I weigh 160lbs).

Also, chasing SDAR peeps on 450+ bikes on a 250 puts excessive wear on your motor.

My 2c

Hey Bub welcome!

Best bet for a plated 450 is to buy one alreDy done. It is possible to put a ca plate on for a price, but not legally. Regardless of what some may claim. :)

Depending on your budget a KTM could easily fit the bill and any bike can be lowered. The wr250r is actually a pretty tall bike.

Good luck on your search! Don't be afraid to ask, no shortage of opinions around here. Haha

Tim

There's a few plated WR450's on craigslist now, along with a nice 2006 KTM 450 EXC

Thanks for the input and the welcome!

I've seen the plated WR450s on CL...just worried about the DMV stripping the plate at some point. Seems to me anything past 2002or2004? is not legal anyway.

As to the DRZ...I wouldn't be putting a lot of highway miles on it. But I figure locally to get to some of the riding areas, it can be 50-60 miles or more one way.

I like the KTMs a lot...but worried about service costs etc. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs on my HD and cars...but some things, I don't have the knowhow.

You don't want to ride plated dirt bikes 50 miles on the highway to get to places not really what they are designed for. Drz or similar would be fine.

If you're plated you can ride dirt to the riding areas and can ignore the freeway. I can tell you there isn't a thumper that is happy with being in the freeway...even the big thumpers like the 690. If you're truly planning on freeway riding, you might want to rethink the small displacement bikes.

Fwiw KTM might be a bit higher cost of entry, but there isn't anything that you cannot do yourself. I bought a blown up KTM and rebuilt the entire top end not having ever touched a KTM before. I used the service manual and lots of online guidance. Dirt bikes are by their nature pretty simple vehicles. If you can turn a wrench and aren't afraid to ask a question of the experts now and again you should never need to see the inside of a service bay.

Regarding the Wr plating...if it's an older bike (pre-2002) the plate is there to stay. On any bike that has been plated for a while, I think you'd be fine. On a brand new plate, I think you're also fine with the caveat that "some" have reported getting a letter rescinding their plate. The thing is it's always a guy who knows a guy. I've only ever seen one scanned letter from the CA dmv revoking a plate. It was posted on thumper talk a long time ago. The other option is a factory street legal bike, aka KTM or husky.

Depending on budget, any bike you're likely to find will never have the plate revoked.

I started this thread so obviously I have a DRZ. My original plan was the same as yours - ride to the trails.

That ain't happening.

If your DRZ is even remotely setup for dirt you won't want to do 50 (usually more) miles to the trails, ride for a bit, and then hit the road for 50 more miles. I wound up buying a truck.

And now, I've got my DRZ (which I really do love) and plan to keep for desert rides (to goofyfooter's point), rides that involve a material amount of slabbing, and anything that will be more comfortable on a bigger bore.

For day trips to single track territory or the track I'm looking at smaller displacement options. A WR250F is solidly in the lead at the moment.

Unfortunately it seems that the best "do-it-all" bike is multiple bikes.

That is not however, a recommendation against the DRZ. If you buy it, I have no doubt you'll love it. Just not on the freeway.

Thanks for the input guys. I had no plans to ride on the Freeway, I hate riding the freeway on my HD and avoid it if at all possible. I was more talking about backroad hwys...like 94, old HWY 80, 78 etc...

Definitely all good food for thought...

I was more talking about backroad hwys...like 94, old HWY 80, 78 etc...

DRZ is great for that stuff. You may have to make some compromises in tires/gearing depending on how long you'll be on the road but for me, with a bike set up for 90% dirt, I do fine on 60 mph highways. Once I need to get up to 70+ I start to feel the dirt tires/gearing/etc.

I typically ride down the 79 south to Palomar or Lost Valley on my dirtbikes. It's 46 miles from my house to the Lost Valley turnoff. I've done it on my WR426, KTM 525, WR250F, and Berg 570. If you're talking 60 mph or below, any dirtbike can do it. The question is, how long will you be comfortable doing it? :)