TrophyHunter

DeLorme inReach holiday rebates

Definitely considering it. I still like my SPOT (so far).

A quick check shows the unit for $229 or $370 (with a $50 or $75 rebate, respectively).

Then the plans would be $300 (Recreation) or $600 (Expedition) annually.

Will have to compare the units and the prices with what I have now.

Thanks.

There is a $11 per month "Safety" plan, which is what I'll do. Testing 'tween the SPOT and inReach have the DeLorme ahead. The rebate and lower prices on the units pushed me to switch.

Another thing to consider is that Delorme will let you suspend and resume service as you need it without an extra charge. I made the switch to the Delorme awhile back.

I picked up the Delorme Inreach Se over the holidays. It has some cool features.

• Bluetooth pairing with your phone, so you use you phone contacts for texting from the phone out via the unit.
  • Has an app for your phone which is really user friendly
  • The Mapshare feature allows your contacts to follow you (similar to Spot) and to text you via the Mapshare app (incoming texts count against your plan texts)
  • Three custom preset messages which can be sent via text or email to multiple contacts.
  • Multiple custom pre-drafted text messages for ease of texting from the unit
  • GPS tracking like the Spot, but under the Safety Plan you are charged for tracking and location pings (lame). So forget the Mapshare under the Safety Plan unless you want to pay extra for tracking & pinging
  • It does not have the non-emergency button like the Spot does. I guess they assume you can get non-emergency help via your contacts
  • There are some complaints about the lag time between sending and receiving texts. Mine seemed to go through and received responses back within a few minutes. It is not instant like a cell phone.

Things to think about...

I picked up the Delorme Inreach Se over the holidays. It has some cool features.

• Bluetooth pairing with your phone, so you use you phone contacts for texting via the unit.
  • Has an app for you phone which is really user friendly
  • The Mapshare feature allows your contacts to follow you (similar to Spot) and to text you via the Mapshare app (incoming texts count against your plan texts)
  • Three custom preset messages which can be sent via text or email to multiple contacts
  • Multiple custom pre-drafted text messages for ease of texting from the unit
  • GPS tracking like the Spot, but under the Safety Plan you are charged for tracking and location pings (lame). So forget the Mapshare under the Safety Plan unless you want to pay extra for tracking & pinging
  • It does not have the non-emergency button like the Spot does. I guess they assume you can get non-emergency help via your contacts
  • There are some complaints about the lag time between sending and receiving texts. Mine seemed to go through and received responses back within a few minutes. It is not instant like a cell phone.

Things to think about...

Thanks for the scoop triple seven! :thumbsup_anim: I've been thinking about this...

Biggest decision point for me on going with the Delorme is the real time two way communication. Pairing with the phone via bluetooth it is very easy to send texts. Also provides a way for my wife to contact me if anything were wrong at home.

I've had great experience with Delorme over the last year and more than a few trips to places with no cell reception and it gave those at home piece of mind they could reach me if needed.

Biggest decision point for me on going with the Delorme is the real time two way communication. Pairing with the phone via bluetooth it is very easy to send texts. Also provides a way for my wife to contact me if anything were wrong at home.

I've had great experience with Delorme over the last year and more than a few trips to places with no cell reception and it gave those at home piece of mind they could reach me if needed.

I think it might be time for me to upgrade to delorme been running basic spot for about 2 years now and like it alot but the two way seems worth it

I do like the 2-way text feature of the DeLorme, but the cost has me sticking with the SPOT...for now.

Call me cheap, call me frugal and call me a KLR rider.