Goofy Footer

Evan Tanner and Solo Exploration

On 9/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, Zubb said:

Would rather have the sure thing, and let the phone be redundant.

If you have a single point of failure, you have failed. I like the iPhone's new satellite connectivity capability, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'll start shopping around for a good deal on a purpose-built GPS tracker.

@Hawkins  I'm very interested in what you find, Please share the info.

Maybe put together a "Group Buy" if there's enough interest - sometimes companies will a give a price break if you purchase "X" many.  I've been in on Group Buys for aftermarket Harley parts.

19 hours ago, Hawkins said:

If you have a single point of failure, you have failed. I like the iPhone's new satellite connectivity capability, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'll start shopping around for a good deal on a purpose-built GPS tracker.

For ‘adventure’ Satellite communications there are 3 current players imho:

Garmin InReach, Spot Messenger & Zoleo

Choosing which is right for You is based on your price point and usage. They all provide texting features. I’d keep them attached to your person or backpack in case you detach from your bike.

(renting a satellite phone is an option but becoming more obsolete. texting is better than calling because your family can send You a message anytime and you’ll see it at your next stop. also many people don’t answer random cell calls due to high spam)

For GPS units to help guide you while riding I see two main options:

1 - Dedicated rugged smart phone (not your personal cell). Use Gaia or Locus apps, there are a number of dedicated threads specific to this. HondoGarage sells the nicest pass thru charging handlebar mounts I’ve seen but they are $$. Many cheaper options exist. 

2 - Garmin Montana series (I still use smaller much older 68/76 series units). Buy the base map ‘California Trail Map’ it provides great detail for local riding and is created by a local guy & old SDAR member. If you are traveling out of state Garmin sells a nice North America map

2b - Garmin has GPS units that also offer SOS / InReach services. These are premium units. Montana 700 series / Garmin InReach Explorer. 

In terms of ‘single point if failure = failure’…

Sometimes that is how it goes. Redundancy costs $ and adds weight. Weight leads to crashing. Crashing leads to broken bikes and broken bodies. 

Some people bring gourmet coffee setups while some people cowboy camp under the stars. Most would agree a spare tube and patch kit is worth the weight however.

For emergency comms: a Garmin InReach in addition to my current cell phone / service is a good idea. In time, I’m curious to the capability of the new iPhone 14. 

I try to go Lighter weight and less crashing - especially because I ride solo often.

Everybody has different risk tolerances.
Everybody plans differently.

I Highly recommend @tntmo ‘s potential upcoming n00b ride out —> campout trip to see different camping, tools, gear and comms setups and what works best for You.

Whatever your level of preparedness is, a Key factor to emergency survival is knowing when to ask for help / SOS.

Edited by Goofy Footer
Added GPS 2b + iphone 14