Oracle

Need help with my Rugged radio

This is the handheld 5 watt Rugged dual band radio. Same as the Baofeng uv-5r.

This is driving me nuts. But I'm sure it's an easy fix. I just can't figure it out. Hours and hours of google searches and youtube video so far and I'm about to throw this thing against the wall.

I'm just trying to type in the SDAR frequency of 146.505. And every time I punch in the last 5, the frequency goes back to the last frequency. In other words, it never accepts the new frequency. It won't take a keyed in entry under 150.000. Above that, no problem, it accepts it.

Anyone have a solution or advise???

Have you gone to the extent of programming it as a preset with the cable and chirp software? If it's a uv-5r I think I still have a chirp profile that has all of the local repeaters and the SDAR simplex freq. ready to stuff into the radio. Everything about hand programming the uv-5r says they have issues, that's why I got the cable and software. Happy to help if you need it, just pm me.

The problem you are trying to enter a freq that the radio can't enter... yet...

you need to change the set up of the "freq step" (Set up menu 1) to 5k instead of the default 25k value.... the radio won't let the "505" be programmed... until you change the steps that it can access.

Page 49 of this manual should help:

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv-5r_v1.0-annotated_by_KC9HI.pdf

You don't need the cable of software to fix this... just a quick read... and adjust...

Good luck... this radio should serve you well...

I got excited when I read your response Jason, but unfortunately it didn't work. I changed the stop to 5k and then tried 2.5k, and it didn't work.

Every time I press the last key of the frequency (only when entering frequencies below 150.000), the "voice" says "cancel" and the frequencies reverts back to the last channel I was on.

Any other suggestions?

does it allow 146.500? I believe (I'm old) that others are running that freq without problems talking to 146.505.

Are you going to BAR10? If so I can help you out in Mesquite tonight.

does it allow 146.500? I believe (I'm old) that others are running that freq without problems talking to 146.505.

PMB, no, it won't take any freq below 150.000.

Just talked to Downs. He believes Rugged blocked everything below the 150.000 for some reason. He will help me with it this weekend.

No Bar for me this year, unfortunately. Have a great trip.

They probably set the lower VHF band limit at 150mhz. You'll need to use Chirp to change it. It's in the Settings\Other Settings tab.

I spare you the geek details but they really need to get it set to 146.505. Lot's of negative implications running off frequency. Just need to change the channel step size to 2.5k and they will be able to program 146.505.

LB - Give Rugged Radios a call...they helped me over the phone with an issue I was having with my 5 watt Rugged unit.

I bet RR blocks the ham bands in their rebadged radios. I'm packing my little laptop to the campsite and can reprogram tonight. It'll be easy fix just need to adjust the band limits in CHIRP

Sorry to hear that didn't work.

After a quick review of http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1274

The Frequency range of the RR RH5r is limited:

Frequency Range :
• Commercial FM : 65MHz-108MHz
• VHF: 150MHz-174MHz<--------
• UHF: 420MHz-470MHz

The original Baofeng UV5r that the RR is based on in not limited: http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=108832

• Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520MHz

Some others maybe able to help with defeating this limit.

Good luck.

I bet RR blocks the ham bands in their rebadged radios. I'm packing my little laptop to the campsite and can reprogram tonight. It'll be easy fix just need to adjust the band limits in CHIRP

Josh (Downs) was able to hook it up his lap top and adjust the band width to allow me to access the lower bands. Thanks again Josh!

Sorry to hear that didn't work.

After a quick review of http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1274

The Frequency range of the RR RH5r is limited:

Frequency Range :

• Commercial FM : 65MHz-108MHz

• VHF: 150MHz-174MHz<--------

• UHF: 420MHz-470MHz

The original Baofeng UV5r that the RR is based on in not limited: http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=108832

• Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520MHz

Some others maybe able to help with defeating this limit.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input, Jason. It's dialed in now.

The RR isn't just based on the UV-5R. IT IS A UV-5R. Just with the price jacked 3 times over normal.

All RR does is program them (probably with chirp) to keep them out of the HAM bands.

Luckily it's a quick easy fix with a free program and a 10 dollar cable.

Bought cable off of Amazon for $9.00, downloaded CHIRP for free, and after a few minutes of going over the program was able to find where to make the change.

1) Open the program, hook up your radio to the cable and computer, and select your radio type and import it.

2) You will get a screen that has all the programmed radio channels set on it.

3) Go to the far left of your screen and there is a box called, "Settings" directly under "Memories". Click it

4) Go to the third item down, "Other settings". Click it.

5) Go to "VHF Lower Limit (MHZ)" and change that from 150 to 140.

6) Go up to the "File" tool bar at the top of the screen and select "Radio". Hit "Upload to Radio". Your will see a light flash on your radio. (Unplug the radio when it stops and you are done. You can now enter the frequency on your radio manually).

7) If you want, you can add SDAR to the pre programed frequencies. Go to "Memories" on the main screen and hit "Show Empty". Scroll down past the last entered channel and click the next blank box. Type in the 146.505 in the "Frequency" and put SDAR in the "Name". Upload it to the radio as in prior step. You are done.

NASA here I come.

Yup, that's exactly what Downs did. You are now officially an official SDAR backup radio programmer.

Additionally, if you feel so inclined, you can import the repeater book and download the local repeaters on to your radio memories as well. Just make sure you get the repeaters open to public use, or join the groups for the repeaters you want to use and pay the dues.

Additionally, if you feel so inclined, you can import the repeater book and download the local repeaters on to your radio memories as well,

then post the list here so the rest of us can do the same.

It's probably time this club did some repeater research anyway- I'll volunteer to help. Map the best repeaters for the riding areas we frequent- could provide an additional safety net for emergency comms.

Been hoping for a LONG time enough riders would get licensed so we can expand radio connectivity.

I have a download list in chirp of all of the open local analog repeaters that go from San Diego to LA along with the ones with the now defunct hospital emergency patch for the desert areas. For those that are licensed they're all mutual free use. I will have to look through my bookmarks but I have a page somewhere that is the list of currently open, closed, analog, digital, public, and private repeaters on the west coast that you can plug the info into chirp and program memory presets of. When I get back into chirp I'll try posting the program file for those that have chirp and cables to distribute, for the uv-5r of course.

I have a google drive folder online with all my radio image files on it. I'll send a link to anyone who wants to see if it's useful for them.

I have a google drive folder online with all my radio image files on it. I'll send a link to anyone who wants to see if it's useful for them.

May I please play the dumb blonde card and get you to set mine up for me? I don't understand any of this. I just wanna be able to talk to you guys and my Glamis group.(Do I need to get their station number or name?) I have no idea where to start. I bought the kit but I don't think it included the cable you're saying is needed?

Miriam: If you obtain the channel number (the name doesn't matter) from your Glamis group and I can program it for you. PM me and we can figure out a time next week.

You guys...we've got to be licensed to use these ham freq's legally. Not that I care that much, but the FCC might. The FCC is even cracking down on other federal agencies (mine included) for "illegal" frequency utilization.

Just sayin.

They (the FCC) don't care about 2 guys/girls on dirt bikes talking simplex in the middle of the desert on 2 meter band plan approved freqs.

List of actions: https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

List of unauthorized operators: https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html

TASMA 2m band plan: http://www.tasma.org/TASMA-2m-Band-Plan.pdf

Hop on the repeater and start cussing the HAM police (other fanatical Ham operators) will be on you... and it is a federal crime... but good luck to them being able to tracking you down...

I have a license and I think it was a waste of time... and for a reason (legality) that is never going to be a problem...

But you are right. You have to be licensed.

Thank you for the PSA....