paulmbowers

Montana Question- how to delete groups of tracks

I have a lot of old tracks from past rides, and I want to delete them to simplify. On the 60 series there was an option to delete all tracks, and I can't seem to find it on the Montana.

Do I really need to do it one by one?

What am I missing?

The easiest way is to do it in basecamp. There's no way I know of to do it on the gps.

Another example of Garmin REMOVING desired capability/ease of use on newer units??? Very confounding/irritating......why go backwards on ease of use???

I think when they expanded the storage capacity to like 200 tracks it became difficult to manage on the gps itself. Their new philosophy seems to be to use Basecamp for higher level management. Not sayin I like it. It just is what it is.

Montana,,,,That is near Canada. Did you not go to Skool?

:shiftyeyes_anim:

Next Question:

I have downloaded 20 tracks to the Montana and want to show all on the map at once. Where To? - Tracks - Dead End! can only select one at a time.

I won't necessarily know the name or location to the track to turn on next!

P.S. Just updated software on Mac and 600.

Help appreciated.

Dave

"Only one track at a time can be viewed on the Montana" Tom - GPS City

Which Means carrying a printed Track Map with written track labels.

Yes if you go into track manager and select a track and then select "view map" you will only see that track. If you go to the map page and zoom in on the area in question you will see all the tracks that have "Show on map" enabled. My recollection was that the 60 series gps behaved the same but it's been so long since I looked at a 60 I may be wrong. A paper legend might be a useful tool.

You can create a custom img file of the tracks you want to show all at the same time. Select tracks then export to gpx, use the tool linked below to create img and place new img on main drive of montana, then you will be able to select it as another map.

http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

I do this for all my tracks in the area I will be riding and the just turn on/off as needed, the new img are transparent so whatever base map you are using still shows.

Hey guys, good info here, but I am still having some trouble keeping "track" of all of the info :) If anybody is following along this "route" of thinking, and lives near La Mesa, and uses a mac, with basecamp, with a GPS Map 78, it would be my pleasure to buy a brew and a bite for someone to spend a few minutes showing me some basic "navigation" of my system. PM if that could work. thanks.

MacD,

I meet your criteria and can meet this week Wednesday or Thursday in La Mesa. Don't know about the cut and past java technique, but I am familiar with basic creating and storing tracks. Send me a PM about timing, available during the day or early evening. Johnny B's has a semi-quiet room to talk.

B