Bruce

Front Tire Width

Does the front tire width make much difference? I see Desert IT's in 80/100 and 90/100. Claimed width difference is 3.7 versus 3.9. Would I realistically be able to tell any difference?

Does the front tire width make much difference? I see Desert IT's in 80/100 and 90/100. Claimed width difference is 3.7 versus 3.9. Would I realistically be able to tell any difference?

What tire mfg are you using? :coolio: ......and what brand of oil are you using? :coolio:

Smart ass way of saying I *probably* wouldn't be able to tell the difference at my skill level......I suppose 3.9 would be a tad slower to react to rider input but may be better in desert where you want some width....

What tire mfg are you using? :coolio: ......and what brand of oil are you using? :coolio:

Smart ass way of saying I *probably* wouldn't be able to tell the difference at my skill level......I suppose 3.9 would be a tad slower to react to rider input but may be better in desert where you want some width....

I'll go one more..... I'm not sure I even know what size I have on right now.

I was hoping you would say that this would immediately improve my sand riding skills.

Hold out for the 85 width...those are the bomb! Ok...seriously...I go thinner tires on lighter bikes, especially for trail use. Fatter tires for high horsepower bikes in the desert

Hold out for the 85 width...those are the bomb! Ok...seriously...I go thinner tires on lighter bikes, especially for trail use. Fatter tires for high horsepower bikes in the desert

XR650L. Not much HP, but a lot of weight. Think I would notice a difference?

Bruce - take a look at the reviews for the Golden Tyre 216AA Fat Tire / Steamroller. I have had better results with it. 650's like to push steer, lots of rear skidding needed, this should tire should help some. Ty Davis just received a new shipment - they will go fast - FYI.

I've been riding the Golden tire on my 450 about a year.

Last a long time. Works very well.

I'll probably never even try another tire I'm so happy with it.

Bruce - take a look at the reviews for the Golden Tyre 216AA Fat Tire / Steamroller. I have had better results with it. 650's like to push steer, lots of rear skidding needed, this should tire should help some. Ty Davis just received a new shipment - they will go fast - FYI.

see above... as for feel yes with these you will feel a difference. it does settle the front (read, slow it slightly/stabilize it), it will stay up on top sand instead of trenching, it does eat rocks really well, it does last quite a while, the get used to thing is because of width it like to grab the sides of trenches and ride up, but that's just an adjustment. Like others I don't think I will ever use another tire up front except for the GT216AA "steamroller"

biggest negative---Price (but it does last long even under the gun)

http://www.ziptyracing.com/products/golden-tyre-216aa-fat-tire.html

I'll go one more..... I'm not sure I even know what size I have on right now.

I was hoping you would say that this would immediately improve my sand riding skills.

This is what I'm running up front on my 350 (80/100): https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1101/3520/Pirelli-MT16-Garacross-Intermediate-Terrain

see above... as for feel yes with these you will feel a difference. it does settle the front (read, slow it slightly/stabilize it), it will stay up on top sand instead of trenching, it does eat rocks really well, it does last quite a while, the get used to thing is because of width it like to grab the sides of trenches and ride up, but that's just an adjustment. Like others I don't think I will ever use another tire up front except for the GT216AA "steamroller"

The local Beta dealer C&D http://www.shopsocalmotorcycleparts.com can get the GT216AA (OEM Beta tire) as well. They also carry Motoz, which a few people here seem to be using for the rears. I *think* they have an SDAR discount, but he did quote me lower than zipty. Not disparaging zipty, just giving a local shop a shout out.

good know I never talked to Steve (C&D) about GoldenTyre. I was with him this past weekend down south

PS as for Zip Ty I have ZTR discount code if deciding to go that route I think its 10% off RTL PM 4 info

Also FYI the GT216AA is a series tire the one we are referring to is the fatty version

so the oem code is actually GOP3176 but everyone here only knows this one of 3 series sizes anyway

*GOP3176 21 90 / 100 – 21 TT 57R Front GT 216 AA FIM

just fyi for reference

http://www.goldentyre.com/dt_portfolio/gt-216-enduro-front-rear/

Robert,

Thanks for the link. I am looking at the 90/90 and about to order. It is a touch un-clear, but the 54RGT216AA is DOT approved as well??

Dave

P.S. The 90/90 and 110/100 came stock on the 450, so I will try those for awhile.

all the 216 series tires are FIM approved for FIM enduro comp= DOT legal

I don't know if Ty carries the standard size GT216 fronts they want to be the sole source for the fatty, so they have a unique tire. But of course check with them. The point of the 216 hype is the fatty profile of the 90/100-21.

metzeler/Pirelli/Michelin all make FIM/DOT pattern 90/90-21 enduro comp tires, they all have basically the same pattern (that includes the rears as well)

Robert, does Golden Tyre have a moose that will fill the 216AA completely? I have yet to use a moose in one, but received a new 216AA today and looks like it's going to take a moose and an 1/8 to a 1/4 of second one. Will the tire wash around width wide in a Michelin moose?

yes they do...but no one has them here......I order M16 Michelin Mousse its the fattest 21 they make , I put one alone into a 216AA fatty, but only kept it that way ffor a few rides, then I cut and stuffed it for much better feel. To me the GT216AA fatty feel best with a little more pressure than usual 13-15 for me is best....of course with mousses its all feel, think OEM mousse=@13psi feel so with sime stuffing I imagine it gets to 15 but I usually just o the press test and the roll the tire test to see how it deforms under weighted pressure

Ty on Mousses

ZipTy Tire soap is this stuff

http://www.enduro360.com/2015/04/04/products-tested/enforce-mousse-tire-soap/

Chilly on stuffing too, so also for life extension, but sometimes for a new set up as well.

http://www.enduro360.com/2015/01/16/products-tested/more-life-from-your-michelin-mousse/

To review tire sizing: 90/100 measures 90mm at the sidewall section and 90% aspect ration Or height. The 90/90 is 90mm wide and 90% of 90mm high, 81mm. The two tires would be 9mm different in height.

B

Edited

I ran the GT216AA for the first time up in Mammoth at the Bikes, Brews & Blues weekend and LOVED it! :thumbsup_anim:

To review tire sizing: 90/100 measures 90mm at the sidewall section and 90% aspect ration Or height. The 90/90 is 90mm wide and 90% of 90mm high, 81mm. The two tires would be 9mm different in width.

B

First number is width, second number is height of the sidewall as percentage of width. 90/90 and 90/100 would be the same width, just taller. A common practice in the Tacoma world is to go from a 265/65/17 to a 265/70/17. Same width, taller tire.

Maybe your last line you meant to say 9mm different in (sidewall) height? The tire would actually be 18mm taller overall.

Vacman,

Thanks for the input.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/#mx-tire-size-markings

When metric tires were introduced, the aspect ratio was included in the size marking. A 130/80-18 street tire had a section width of 130mm, and an aspect ratio of 80 percent. This means that the height of the tire is 80 percent of 130mm. As before, the tire fits on an 18-inch rim.

It's the height of the sidewall not the height of the tire. Either way, it validates what I said. Second number is sidewall height as a percentage of the first number, the width.

I take your point, Sidewall height.. So the tread is the same dimension on both? How do you develop the overall height.