Schweddy Balls

GPS Killer -- New GPS app designed specifically for offroad !

Scott, I have a Garmin eTrex and I am buying the carto map pack. I already have the Mexico map pack from Garmin, but it's pretty lame out in the middle Baja. It will be cool to have so many POI's, and there are some pre-packaged routes that look like they will be handy along the coast.

All, I bought iPhone app because it works with my Apple Watch. I'll report after some testing.

All, I bought iPhone app because it works with my Apple Watch. I'll report after some testing.

Which app? We've talked about a few. You're actually going to wear an apple watch for gps on a dirt bike?

Schweddy I'm down for buying a license. I'm betting others would be too if the price is right.

I have custom maps on my phone, including google hybrid which I don't see on your list. I found a link to build it manually somewhere online. I can look it up if you want it. Nice to have the streets overlaying the satellite views in motionx. The only issue I have with motionX is the storage.

If you're not going to buy the Carta, please pass along your discount. I'll buy it. It's worth having a dedicated, durable GPS to me when I'm going that far out into the bush, and as Jim said, having the POI's is worth it especially if you get in a jam. A phone is a good solution some of the time, but a standalone GPS is better, IMO. Having your phone overheat on your bars and shut down repeatedly in the middle of the ride would not be fun or safe.

Hi Vacman,

Good points about google hybrid but I bet it doubles the size of the tiles?

Sorry man but it wasn't an ongoing discount, only a 1 time thing which I already used; otherwise, of course I would pass it on to the group. I'll call him and see if he'll give a broader deal for SDAR.

Investigating =)

It's odd that it made it to the Apple Store before the Google Play Store, because Apple is so restrictive and anal about their app submission process.

As PMB said, his device overheated several times n our Idaho ride, where the standard GPS devices have yet to have that issue.

I'd be interested to see a comparison of the detail, say... around Ensenada.
The website shows mostly mainland Mex in their intro video...  yet, I'd love to see Baja.

... I'd be more then willing to screen shot some of the maps I use for comparison and show them here... if someone else with carto will do the same, at a similar zoom.