Schweddy Balls

GPS Killer -- New GPS app designed specifically for offroad !

Hey GPS gurus,

Does anyone have this new app? Was tested by Ricky Johnson and one of the Honda teams in the 2014 Baja 1000.

http://leadnavsystems.com/

Its $20 bucks in the itunes store but looks real promising and getting goods review from the folks in their forum. Designed by offroaders and military special ops guys which now do the major SCORE events.

For those of you experienced with GPS-ing, would be interested in what you think? I have a Baja ride coming up so tempted to get it but ... call me cheap, but hey its $20 bucks for an app.! Then, it also looks like there are subscription options one might need to take full advantage of features. Haven't looked at it thoroughly but thought I'd put it out there for us all to check out

Schweddy B :coolio:

My concern with using a smart phone app is that vibration is likely to cause damage to an iPhone or Android.

I don't think these are built to withstand the shake fest that they'll get when using a RAM or similar mount.

I use motionX on an iPhone 5. I use a case specifically designed to dampen vibrations and have never had an issue.

Agree the vibration thing seems to not be an issue. Just google pics of the dozens of competitors using iphones and ipads mounted on bike, buggies, and trucks racing in the SCORE events such as Baja 1000. They rely on these devices in extreme conditions so I'm assuming its doable. I also use Motion X but can't figure out how to get around the size limit for downloading maps in advance for offline use later when there's no cell connection. Specifically, upcoming Baja trip where we know we'll have no service yet I can't get enough map coverage to use MotionX unless I'm missing how to do this (probably another thread).

I typically download maps with a pretty narrow range of zoom for stuff like that. However, if I was going to Baja I'd probably spring for the Cartografia map and use my 60csx. http://www.cartografiagps.com/paginas/que_es_mapae32_cartografia_gps_mexico.htmThe last thing I would want is not having enough zoom to see what's over the next rise if I got stuck somewhere. :)

I'm definitely interested in this app, but two issues/questions:

1. ISSUE: There's no Android app in the 'Play Store'. Can't be that great if it's only for i-Crap. :tired:

2. QUESTION: It seems you'd be relying on your cell phone's GPS functionality and I can't imagine that's as strong as either a Garmin, or the InReach? Maybe I'm wrong there. But, just b/c you're using the "App" doesn't mean this app gives your cell phone the ability to connect to a different GPS Sat network, right?

Also, I've been using a Galaxy S3 with glass protective cover then secured in an Otterbox on my bars via Ram Mount and had no issues with vibration.

@Vacman,

I also think the cartographia stuff is the way to go. Been toying with that idea but was hoping to make motionX work which is how I stumbled upon this new app. In the end, will likely do the cartographia route. Have you used it?

@Eddie,

Yeah, this might be one of those "too good to be true situations" but it is getting lots of good use from folks racing with it on the app. makers forum which give it some credibility.

1) iOS vs. Android...The company is forthright in their their opinion of Android and went purely after the iOS market just as many do with their first apps. I think it just comes down to marketshare and Android is declining while iOS is growing. Seeing this same trend from working with startups in silicon valley.

2) Not certain about the power of the iOS GPS but agree its gotta be less as well. It seems most hardcore SCORE teams use an auxillary GPS puck anyway for more power, better accuracy, quicker location identification and refresh, and faster overall performance. Garmin makes one and there are several others out there designed specifically to integrate with iOS via bluetooth to increase signal. http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

Regarding the 2nd part , I don't think one is actually "switching" sat networks but I could be wrong. Getting actual GPS location, takes several minutes and lots of processing power. We see it happen quickly on our phones because they use wi-fi and cell towers to assist and estimate your location then optimize it once the gps has locked in. Still, its using the same Sat network each time. For example, I think the inreach we were talking about uses Iridium only (the most reliable), it doesn't switch networks. I predict we'll see slower GPS performance in Baja since no cell towers or wifi. Whereas a dedicated GPS like a Garmin would likely lock-in much quicker. Just my guess.

There some real techy geeks here in the forum so maybe they'll chime in with more.

the "i-crap" chosen by many of us uses (like many other devices) a GPS chip to locate. Sure, if wi-fi and cell towers are available it will use them, but are not necessary for reasonably accurate and fairly fast locating.

We're riding roads, not targeting bombs.

SB, try downloading in smaller sections. Kind of a pain, but it doesn't re-download anything you already have. You can also pay $5 for the option to register and download custom map types, such as Google Terrain (my favorite right now). Below are some notes and threads I have for myself

To download satellite imagery and USGS tops maps

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11168/Cheap-Motorcycle-GPS-How-to-Make-One-Using-an-iPhone-for-Under-150

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/08/motion-x-custom-maps/

http://www.bemental.me/blog/2015/2/19/custom-maps-with-motionx-gps

In the field below the name for your map source enter a map server URL. Remember to download it after you register it in Custom Map Types

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/[Z]/[Y]/[X]

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer/tile/[Z]/[Y]/[X]

http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=p&x=[X]&y=[Y]&z=[Z]

@1NaAdv,

sorry but what did your post mean? :)

Are you using the app actively?

That phone is dust/shock resistant. I dont have one but have seen people use those phones for moto gps use.

I have a newer lg phone with the ram mount, i use the body glove case, holds great no issues yet. I run the OsmAnd gps app.

That looks really interesting to me. Anyone here actually tried it? Strega??

Not sure how much faith I would put into reviews on their own website. It's been around for a while and hasn't been reviewed much.

Haven't used cartagrafia but have read enough reviews and ride reports to believe it's the best tool for Baja. When I go I will have it loaded, but I'm kind of a nerd that way. I don't want to rely solely one one device or person to get me where I'm going if I am in unfamiliar territory.

So, I just spoke to the owner at cartografia, nice guy. Anyone want to loan me their GPS and split the cost of the map? You would then have it for your future use. He said I could then just buy an additional license at a heavily discounted price if I decide to get my own GPS In fact, if we could find a few folks to split it, we can get the group license and install on up to 3 GPS units! Seems like a win win if I can find the right person to buy in here.

Hot off the press -- the owner said they are coming out with an iphone version end of this year or early next year so thats likely the one I would go for. Really on the fence here whether I want to go plop down big cash for a dedicated GPS like a Garmin. From a technology perspective, I do believe we are on the cusp of phones/tablets being just as good as a dedicated GPS like a Garmin, we're just not quite all the way there yet. ugggh!

Lots of folks have made the jump to devices instead of GPS. I'm currently testing an old iPhone 4s on the bars, mostly for music, but I'll start the gps stuff soon.

But.

I won't use my primary phone for GPS on the bars- I'll keep it in my pocket for emergencies. Also, it WILL overheat- mine did several times in Idaho. Not a big deal if it's just for music, but if I needed it for navigation it would have been a problem.

Still love my Montana.

So, I just spoke to the owner at cartografia, nice guy. Anyone want to loan me their GPS and split the cost of the map? You would then have it for your future use. He said I could then just buy an additional license at a heavily discounted price if I decide to get my own GPS In fact, if we could find a few folks to split it, we can get the group license and install on up to 3 GPS units! Seems like a win win if I can find the right person to buy in here.

Hot off the press -- the owner said they are coming out with an iphone version end of this year or early next year so thats likely the one I would go for. Really on the fence here whether I want to go plop down big cash for a dedicated GPS like a Garmin. From a technology perspective, I do believe we are on the cusp of phones/tablets being just as good as a dedicated GPS like a Garmin, we're just not quite all the way there yet. ugggh!

I'm your huckleberry. I have a 60csx I keep around purely because I figure I'll use it in Baja. Has a mount and hardwire setup with bullet connectors. It's a bit beat, but works awesome. You're welcome to use it for your upcoming trip in exchange for splitting the $105. Although I thought the initial download was good for 2 devices? Thought I read that on the site. EDIT: nm, just read it's for the $35 additional license with a max of 2 per download.

FWIW I also have an old Vista C that's supported as well, but it needs a hardwire connection and the battery backup is dust. I keep it on my 250 as a speedo.

In reference to the "Switching GPS Networks' comment.

There is only one GPS network system maintained by the US Air Force.... for the entire world...

Every car, truck, motorcycle, ship, boat, aircraft.... or GPS guided munition... is using the same network of satellites...

I'm your huckleberry. I have a 60csx I keep around purely because I figure I'll use it in Baja. ...

Sounds good Vacman, hang tight, I need to confirm a few nuances on how this might work out and supported Garmins etc.

Also, I just had a possible major breakthrough moments ago where I finally learned how to use my app to get baja maps on my phone for offline use. If it works, I'll be set. I'm certain someone here already knows this but I was never able to do it until just now.... Download 40% complete....stay tuned.

the owner said they are coming out with an iphone version end of this year or early next year so thats likely the one I would go for. Really on the fence here whether I want to go plop down big cash for a dedicated GPS like a Garmin. From a technology perspective, I do believe we are on the cusp of phones/tablets being just as good as a dedicated GPS like a Garmin, we're just not quite all the way there yet. ugggh!

I'd wait b/c everything's clearly going the way of the smart phone / tablet for GPS.

Sat Comms (InReach) are a different story. And since the InReach can bluetooth sync with BOTH android & i-crap AND has both GPS functionality and Sat Comms via texting through the phones own interface, I think they have the best solution going right now. My solution is to use the big screen and functionality of my Galaxy S3 with Sat Comms and GPS capability streaming to it through the InReach.

There is only one GPS network system maintained by the US Air Force.... for the entire world... Every car, truck, motorcycle, ship, boat, aircraft.... or GPS guided munition... is using the same network of satellites...

Right on - thx for the info. I guess I was getting confused with specific Sat Comm networks thinking GPS data was essentially contracted the same way.

It probably still goes to say the 'processing power' and mapping software of certain GPS devices can yield us moto riders a drastically different GPS experience. Meaning, even though I assume the GPS data sent thru the USAF GPS network is all the same, how fast and how well our certain devices communicate with those 24 USAF GPS satellites -- and then display it to us on a map -- most likely highly depends on the device & software being used.