Hi All,

I'm deleting everything here since there is already another area for mods to the KTM 500 EXC and I should've posted this over there to benefit the whole group. Before the comments grow too much, I'm deleting it here and will repost over there. Thanks much for the comments so far!

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20328-ktm-exc-500-bestfirst-mods/

See you on the trails,

Schweddy :coolio:

Thought I'd share what I'm doing with the new bike in case anyone wants to leverage any of the ideas or has some good feedback if you've done any of this already. What follows are my build plans for the NEW 2015 500 EXC. Picking up the beast on Friday after work and like a kid at Christmas, Friday is taking forever to get here!

Will warn the neighbors, set out the firepit in the driveway for a 24 hour burn, fill up the refrig with choice beverages and grub, turn on the tunes, and tell my family I'll see them in 32 hours. Let Schweddy’s build begin...

That's gonna be one schweet 500!

Is that all? ? What about suspension? I guess I won't ask to borrow any money from you now.

Holy crap 30 items to a brand new bike I think I added 10 and though mine was overkill. Definitely going to be one tricked out bike.

Hey Wierrider! Yeah man, significant financial hit but instead of doing it over time like I've done in the past, just decided to go all in upfront and dial it in since this is eventually where I knew I wanted to be with the bike. By buying it all up front, this put me in a serious position of negotiation with the dealer for both the bike and the accessories. I was able to see full MSRP, their cost, and then negotiate my price from there. By posturing with the dealer as "The Big Investor", I was able to massively reduce the cost of the bike and ALL the accessories as a package deal. In the end, everything was at least 30% less than the alternative of buying accessories over time and slowly building this beast and I also know everything will work together. Thats how I tried to justify doing it all upfront. Don't tell my wife!!! :crying_anim02:

Regarding the suspension, coming from a 2005 525 I want to see how this bike handles first so I can provide feedback on what I want done on the suspension. Putting so much into it now upfront, will just set the sag, play with the clickers, and ride it stock for a while to see how it handles. If anyone weighs about 185lbs on the same bike, let me know if you found some good settings for the clickers.

hey guys, I just realized there's another forum area where I should've posted this...doh! When I get back, I will probably delete it here before the comments grow too much and then repost it in the right spot there. Thanks for all your comments so far!

Regarding the suspension, coming from a 2005 525 I want to see how this bike handles first so I can provide feedback on what I want done on the suspension. Putting so much into it now upfront, will just set the sag, play with the clickers, and ride it stock for a while to see how it handles. If anyone wieghs about 185lbs on the same bike, let me know if you found some good settings for the clickers.

Are you 185 geared up? I'm 190 dry... Probably 205 with all gear (incl. tools, water, etc.). I put a heavier shock spring (Race Tech progressive) on about a year after purchasing my 350 and started paying pretty close attention to sag. I'll say it made a noticeable difference with the heavier spring and keeping the sag in "spec." I used the manual specs as a guideline along with Race Tech's method for measuring sag (RT has you push down/release and pull up/release when measuring to factor in stiction).

I think most will say clickers are a matter of personal preference / feel combined with the terrain your riding. I ride primarily Corral Canyon and McCain (plus and annual trip to Moab). I've had the 350 about 3 years now and have settled in comfortably around the "standard" settings in the manual. I am not well versed in suspension tuning, but found these settings work pretty well all around with a focus on "softening" the hits when bumping over rocks, etc.

My next modification will be to stiffen the fork springs based on what I have read and the recommendation of others here.

Good thing about springs... it's a mod that can be done for a reasonable amount of money down the road (but spending is all relative, right?!).

Look forward to seeing the Schweddy 500 in action!

No 185 before gear and water. Thanks for clarification, I'll have to add some weight to get it right. Will also check out the Race Tech approach. Thanks much Chad for the comments, appreciate all input!

Well Gents, the clock is ticking so I'm headed offline for a while to go pick up the beast.

Cheers!