Socalmotorider

New bike dilemma

After a rough year financially having to sell most of my toys I'm in the position to buy another bike. I have a 90 mile commute and looking to ride to work a few days a week and on the weekends.

After doing some research and looking at many bikes i have narrowed my choices down to either a cb500x or a nc700x as they both felt comfortable and get in the 70+ mpg range. I have found a really good deal on both but here is a where the dilemma comes in.

I really enjoyed my old drz400s but felt it was a little underpowered so thinking about a new dr650 which would be great on the street and desert other wise if i got either one of my first choices i would also have to get a dedicated dirt bike.

Any help/advise would be appreciated

I had a DR650 for 6 years. It will do a everything, but back roads, dirt roads and 2 track is where it's happy (with me on it). Yes, you can commute on it and it will run all day at 75+ and consistently get 45-50 MPG. It will wander around the desert, too. I put mine through most of the trails at Corral, Lark and Jacumba with a few runs on Stagecoach. It will do it & it is bulletproof.

But a happier commute would be on one of the bikes you mentioned & happier real dirt time on a much more dirt oriented bike.

That said, Slaugo and a few others here rode their KLR's to the desert, assaulted it with great success, and rode home.

The CB500x has a strong following and Rally Raid even has 3 levels of kits to make a full ADV bike out of it if you ever wanted to go that route. Great reports. http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/honda-cb500x-off-road-kit/

I've priced the CB and DR recently and a CB out the door leaves you a bit to add a good condition DS-dirt bike by the time you outfit a DR for dual duty.

If you want any more info on the DR, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Glad things have turned around for you!

If a DR650 fits you (I felt cramped on it), it really is one of the best "do anything" bikes out there. XR650L is another with more dirt capabilities, and the KLR for a more street bias if you can handle the weight off-road.

I think both the DR and KLR are better geared, with the DR having the best motor of the group.

Then we have the Euro-options... the pumpkins and Huskies. Not my preference for a commuter, but to each his own.

do you have a truck or trailer for your "dedicated dirt bike"... if so, pick something lighter than a DRZ.

My biggest gripe with dual sports as the only bike is the tires... it REALLY burns rubber riding the slab TO the trails. Knobbies do NOT last

Thanks for all the input. I really like the DR650 but seeing how most of my riding would be highway I'm leaning towards either the cb500x which i have found new 2014's for $4600 or the nc700x which i have also found to for $4999 for new 2014 then think save up a little and buy a 1k-1500 dedicated dirt bike as i have the means to tow i just liked the idea of having a "do it all" bike

I do feel comfortable on a dr650 but for some reason the klr's don't seem to fit me nearly as well so those are out along with the xr's even though they are both great on/off road machines

With that being said if the dr650 got 70+ mpg's like the cb500x or nc700x I think it would make my decision easier and would go that route.

I was hoping to make a decision this weekend but am still not sure which route to go and to top it off i stopped by Motoworld today and they have a new 2015 Honda CB300F on sale for $3499 so even though it's not my ideal bike i would have cash left to buy a used dirt bike and have this for a commuter that gets 71 mpg.........still can't get the thought of a 2015 "do it all" DR650 out of my head either :)

A street bike and a dirt bike (if you have a truck) is great. Still better to get a plated dirt bike. Connecting trails and ABDSP makes it worth it.

If you're seriously looking at a DR650, they've been basically the same bike since '96. I'd go 2004 or newer as the metal cyl base gasket went on then but other than that, same bike. Plenty of good used one's out there for $3-4K. Not much to go wrong. Different than new of course, but an option.

Goofy Footer has a clean DR650 in my garage he's planning on selling soon. You might reach out to him for specs and pics.

Forgot about Tim's, Tim. Yeah, with all the upgrades it comes with and a few hours wrenching those on......great deal.

Thanks for the advice and know there is some good deals on used but looking at new as i have a blank preapproved check from NFCU and why I'm leaning towards buying a new street/commuter bike and saving some cash to buy a used dirt bike or just get a new DR650 :) Thanks

Got a great deal on a new 2014 CB500X yesterday at Motoworld. Been out riding most of the day and so far i am very happy although i plan to put a little more aggressive tires on for the dirt it handled fire roads fine as is plus it's very comfortable cruising the highway @80

post-15394-0-72062300-1439175609_thumb.j

post-15394-0-84947100-1439175665_thumb.j

Nice looks good and yup every new bike needs new shoes

Grats. Lots of cool stuff being done to that bike.

Congrats, look fun!

Congrats! Hadn't really looked into those until a buddy asked about 'em. From all reports, you should have a solid bike that works well for your mission. Former co-worker got the same bike from FBC. Enjoy!