downs

Big Bike ride 25 July 2015

I’ll be doing a big bike ride on the 25th of July. Little bikes can come as well but must be plated and be forewarned there’s going to be a fair bit of pavement thrown in.

Basic plan is to meet at Packards Coffee Shop in Ramona at 0900 for pre ride light breakfast/coffee/tea then leave there at 0945 sharp and head out via pavement on the Old Julian Hwy then into Santa Ysabel and then North on the 79 to Rancho RV Resort where we will ride up Palomar Divide to the lookout tower for a Lunch on the picnic tables so pack a lunch of whatever you wish to eat/drink

From there we will ride down to the pavement NOT taking the same way we came up and then the 79 back south to the 76 where we will pick up Mesa Grande and then Black Canyon Truck Trail to Black Mountain Road where we will ride to the top. After that we’ll head down to Ramona and everyone is one their own from the pavement pretty much.

SO what you’ll need:
-A plated bike (keep in mind extended pavement runs when selecting your bike)

-Lunch and Drink of your choice for Lookout tower picnic table

-Good attitude

-Extra bonus if you have COMs. The standard SDAR frequency is 146.505 however if everyone has dual band radios we will go to a 70cm simplex channel as the HTs most guys are using will see better performance out of that band.

Hope to see ya’ll on the trail

11742673_10207421689326552_7945607976244

Cool. Any one have a big bike I can borrow?

I promise I wont go off any jumps.

70cm simplex channel as the HTs most guys are using will see better performance out of that band.

Oooo!

Why?

The antennas on those radios usually aren't long enough for good VHF operation unless you are running the longer 15 or 16 inch antennas. For the stock antennas or the shorter 8 inch antennas UHF offers a better option in most cases. VHF does have it's place. I actually ran VHF most of the day I was running around with those trucks and it works for the most part. HTs just seem to do better with UHF when on Simplex.

I've switched to an external antenna on my bike from the HT rubber duck and have seen much better performance on both bands.

UHF has a better time getting though wooded areas. VHF works great in the desert. Honestly it's hard to go wrong with either but if we're all going to be using HTs we can just go UHF simplex instead of VHF.

COMMs PLAN

446.500- simplex channel for whole group

446.000- simplex for ride lead, ride mid, and ride trail In other words the control frequency.

If the group is small enough we'll just use 446.500.

If we have guys that show up with single band VHF radios we'll just use the standard SDAR freq.

90% sure I can make this. I have a Yaesu dual band HT but not sure how useful it'll be since I don't have a headset.

Just FYI if anyone is trying to find info on the ride, the road going up past the RV park is High Point Truck Trail. The southern descent is Palomar Divide. Fun stuff on a big bike and nothing crazy.

Havefun!

Just FYI if anyone is trying to find info on the ride, the road going up past the RV park is High Point Truck Trail. The southern descent is Palomar Divide. Fun stuff on a big bike and nothing crazy.

Cool, just what I wanted to hear!

See you at Packards. sdspearo - I'll try to remember to bring an extra headset. Might cut out at Mesa Grande due to time constraints, but we'll see.

Great, see you guys there.

Thanks KTMrad wouldn't let me edit after I fat fingered it. TrophyHunter....booooooo

Crap, I'm out too...last minute work commitment.

Uh, scratch that...spoke too soon...I can make this after all.

Whoever shows up gets to go. If they have the roads closed off we will divert to a dirt route to Anza........probably be a bit hot though haha.

May have to reroute due to fire off of Palomar Divide Rd.

Forest service says...

Cleveland NF @ClevelandNF

#CutcaFire now 75-100 acres, helicopters will be flying handcrews to the fire.

6:43 PM - 24 Jul 2015

This is a ride Iv'e been looking to do for a while but can't make Saturday. So since I had the day off I went today. I started from Ramona but took Pamo to 12S07, Sutherland, 78 to 79 then up to the look out. From the look out I saw the early stages of the fire about 5 PM. By the time I got to the end of the divide trail at 79 the gate was locked. I had to lower some 4 strand to get to the road.

post-15693-0-61446700-1437803592_thumb.j

post-15693-0-37805300-1437803624_thumb.j

Late to the game, but lurking. Crazy hours this week. Will update in the am.

THanks :) we did have to divert. We could see the fires burning from the RV resort entrance so decided to go to Anza and come from north to south via dirt to Warner Springs. AFter that the ride went to plan other than not going to the top of BLack Mountain since the ride up to Anza took a good bit of extra time.

Good ride guys! Josh, thanks for setting up and leading the ride, and good to meet several new faces. I was pretty tired after, fun wrestling those big pigs around in the dirt!