paulmbowers

New Rugged stuff

Was taking advantage of the Rugged sales lately, and noticed they claim to have upgraded their helmet speakers. Since mine were working fine, I had no choice to "upgrade".

It's true. The new speakers are much better. I've no idea when they changed, but if you're fussy about such things (not me. No.) you won't be disappointed.

Also-

One of the Achilles' heels of the system is the radio jumper- goes between the radio and the harness. I had another fail in the IDBDR last week, and was thankfully loaned one from CiD. I ordered three replacements (one for him) and they shipped new versions that appear to be more robust than the past versions. Might check them out.

Do the new speakers improve pitch and intonation? I might have to check those out...glad you survived Idaho...well; kind of glad

No- the speakers don't improve anything.

They are more efficient, allowing the excellent pitch and sweet annotation to be more accurately reproduced.

Paul - You might want to consider the longer coiled cord version. Also I'm not a big fan of the Yaesu connector that Rugged uses as it seems a bit fragile where the cable enters the connector. I use the Icom cable with a Yaesu CT-91 adapter. I have 4 of these setups that the family uses and I also loan out to radioless buddy's I ride with. I've never had a single failure. The coiled cord gives you some extra length which allows some alternative cable routing options.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_74_80&products_id=136

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006181

Yes!

I have one of the coiled cords per your suggestion earlier, but it's too much bulk for my small pocket on the back of this riding suit. I've used the ct-91 combination before and have had failures. Hoping this newer, robust cable might be more reliable- might want to have a look at it. It's well strain-relieved.

Yes!

I have one of the coiled cords per your suggestion earlier, but it's too much bulk for my small pocket on the back of this riding suit. I've used the ct-91 combination before and have had failures. Hoping this newer, robust cable might be more reliable- might want to have a look at it. It's well strain-relieved.

Where is the point of failure? At the radio connection or the harness connector? Too bad the coiled cord won't work for your setup. I always try to have enough slack so that there's minimal strain at the connectors. Hopefully the new cable will work for you.

Guest crawdaddy

Also-

One of the Achilles' heels of the system is the radio jumper- goes between the radio and the harness. I had another fail in the IDBDR last week, and was thankfully loaned one from CiD. I ordered three replacements (one for him) and they shipped new versions that appear to be more robust than the past versions. Might check them out.

I need to order the jumper between headset and old Yaesu radio. do you happen to remember the P/N for the "new"(?) adapter.....I'm going to order a couple since this does seem to be a common failure area.....along with PTT

Order Information - Order #20329 Qty. Products Total 3 ea. Yaesu Standard HX370 / HX400 Handheld Radio Jumper $60.00

That's for the smaller jumper. It eliminates the Yaseu CT91 and plugs directly into the radio.

The other version that Randy likes is http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_74_90&products_id=161

Order Information - Order #20329 Qty. Products Total 3 ea. Yaesu Standard HX370 / HX400 Handheld Radio Jumper $60.00

Actually I think it's just the CT-91 that I need......they have a couple in stock at HRO

I strongly suggest NOT getting it.

The RR version eliminates the CT91 altogether, and with it an extra set of connections your neither want nor need.

I strongly suggest NOT getting it.

The RR version eliminates the CT91 altogether, and with it an extra set of connections your neither want nor need.

Oh, I misunderstood......I just ordered 2 of the units above so I'll have one for each radio.......I'll keep my existing CT-91 for backup.......thanks......wish I would;ve bought'em when the sale was going on......it;s was ~$68 for "2" as opposed to $60 for 3......

Guest Guest

That's the best radio. Only the coolest and most talented riders have them.

I have three.

Guess I need to figure out what to do with my radios, haven't used them in a while. Sounds like there is a better setup available