SofaKing

Make your Smartphone a fully functional Dual sport GPS

one thousand pardons if this info has already been covered on this site...

OPTIMIZE YOUR ANDROID SMARTPHONE FOR DUAL SPORT RIDING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7qEh1TuXU

I came across this youtube tutorial on how to make your android phone into a fully functional GPS and tool for dual sport riding including down loading all software and gpx files and creating gpx files.

I do not have any of these apps so I can’t speak their performance but they look handy.

This video is long but covers the installation and tutorials of the following apps. There are shortcuts in the description to each app in the video.

Here are the main apps he goes over. If anyone knows these apps or has something to add on this topic I encourage you to speak up (I know you all are a shy bunch).

OsmAnd – GPS software. To me it looks like this apps combines the functionality (recording and loading GPX files) of a handheld i.e. Garmin with the functionality of an car GPS being able to pride driving directions to addresses and destinations.

http://osmand.net/

Everytrail Pro – Track you routes (GPX) and allows you to geo reference any photos or notes to that location along the route. It also records stats of the route. Trips need to be viewed at everytrail.com

http://www.everytrail.com/android

Ulysse Speedometer Pro - $1.99 Speedometer app, speed, multiple trip meter, compass etc.

http://ulysse-speedometer-pro.soft112.com/

Flashlight – flashlight app, emergency flashers, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight&hl=en

More and more folks are showing up to CORE rides using Androids or IPhones. I think screen clarity/visibility is still an issue on the phones but there are lots of great apps out there......

This is the software I used in Spain last month.......worked pretty well: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navmii-gps-usa-navigation/id405922167?mt=8

I had my IPhone mounted to the bars of the 990 with a RAM mount.

I use the TomTom app on my GS. I printed a holder that clips my iphone to the handlebars. It has a cool feature that allows you to set a "twisty" route, and it has taken me down all kinds of cool of roads I would have never found. It often asks if I want to avoid dirt roads, to which I always click NO!

that motionX looks neat. I just looked briefly at their website. I like how it geo references any photos you take and records the stats of the route (GPX) too. One thing that appears to be unique about the OsmAnd system is that it has GPX /route capture and display technology as-well-as street driving directions to addresses and locations. I.e. Starbucks locations for the GS guys and KTM dealerships for the orange guys. :smile_anim: I kid fellas.... I kid.

that motionX looks neat. I just looked briefly at their website. I like how it geo references any photos you take and records the stats of the route (GPX) too. One thing that appears to be unique about the OsmAnd system is that it has GPX /route capture and display technology as-well-as street driving directions to addresses and locations. I.e. Starbucks locations for the GS guys and KTM dealerships for the orange guys. :smile_anim: I kid fellas.... I kid.

Any phone is likely to be able to run Google Maps, which is infinitely better for trips to "hard park" your ride in front of the local 'bucks. MotionX is a far better GPS tool IMO, and by downloading offline tiles and storing tracks in google drive, you never have to worry about space.

Somebody on this site referred me to 'My Tracks'. Free to download to my Android phn from Google Play. It tracked me great and it was super easy to upload to "My Maps" in Google Maps. Worked great in airplane mode w/out a cell signal, too. And it also automatically created a "My Tracks" folder in my Google Drive.

However, the only bummer is I can't figure out how to "SHARE" these tracks??? I also have no idea how to upload anybody else's tracks???

Anybody use 'My Tracks' app?

Somebody on this site referred me to 'My Tracks'. Free to download to my Android phn from Google Play. It tracked me great and it was super easy to upload to "My Maps" in Google Maps. Worked great in airplane mode w/out a cell signal, too. And it also automatically created a "My Tracks" folder in my Google Drive.

However, the only bummer is I can't figure out how to "SHARE" these tracks??? I also have no idea how to upload anybody else's tracks???

Anybody use 'My Tracks' app?

That would be me. :whistle:

I've only just began to experiment with it. And like I said before, because I didn't have my phone hard wired on my last 5 day trip, I only use it on day one. The rest of the trip was standard GPS.

It definitely has promise.

I just down loaded "HERE", where you can down load Maps to your I-Phone and it works with out sending DATA, using Satellite only. much cleaner instruction on hard pack, street. Have not tried Off road yet.

Any phone is likely to be able to run Google Maps, which is infinitely better for trips to "hard park" your ride in front of the local 'bucks. MotionX is a far better GPS tool IMO, and by downloading offline tiles and storing tracks in google drive, you never have to worry about space.

I totally agree google maps is probably more comprehensive and all around better for street driving directions but you have to have cell service for it to work right??

As you all can tell I'm late to the smart phone scene and am still amazed at all the apps you can get for them.

I got to check out an overview for motionx, wow it looks way cool. I've got a couple questions...

You can download base map data "tiles" and store them local on the device to run it offline without cell coverage correct?

You can share a map of a route you record and the map has hotlinks to photos linked located at their correct location on the map, what file type is the map graphic? is it a PDF fancy jpeg?

do they make motionx for android?

Thanks everybody for the great information.

That would be me. :whistle:

I've only just began to experiment with it. And like I said before, because I didn't have my phone hard wired on my last 5 day trip, I only use it on day one. The rest of the trip was standard GPS.

It definitely has promise.

Yeah - thanks for that tip. I loved the app. Still playing with it. Has big time promise for sure. If i could just figure out how to share/upload/download tracks it'd be PERFECT.

Wait ... guys I think I'm onto something here.

First, it seems the 'My Tracks' app really only works with Google Earth, not Google Maps.

Using the 'tracks' I recorded I can create a "TOUR" in Google Earth where you can fly along the EXACT ROUTE WE DID as though you're in a helicopter hovering above. IT'S BITCHIN.

Also, you can PAUSE the "TOUR" and then browse around using the normal map toggle controls ... but since you're in Google Earth you get the full on SATELLITE 3-D IMAGERY and functionality. Once you're done browsing around in PAUSE mode, just hit PLAY and it will reset all the functions back to the HELO TOUR MODE. Pretty bitchin ... and all done with my phone in airplane mode.

I tried to attach the 'track' from Eagle Peak (just south of Julian) to Majors via 3 sisters. I'm attempting to attach the file here to this post but the forum will NOT accept *.KMZ files. PM me your email and I'll shoot it over. In the future I'll think about starting a free blog to post the files.

Oracle was really on to something with this app. IT IS KILLER. IT IS FREE. AND IT CAN ALL BE DONE VIA YOUR PHONE & GOOGLE.

My biggest two worries about using my iPhone 6+ as a GPS would be biffing it in a crash and vibration rattling it to death.

But I do have an old iPhone 5 that I could use. Bonus is that even though it doesn't have a SIM card you can still call 911 so it could act as a back up if there's cell service.

Ok, so learning to 'share' using the app "My Tracks". I've at least learned how to share via Google Maps. I emailed this to myself from the app:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CmpOxaN_KIREdtdm9DVTVvbnc/view?usp=drivesdk

Created by Google My Tracks on Android

Name: Majors - Pine Creek - Sunrise 80
Total distance: 88.73 km (55.1 mi)
Max speed: 124.20 km/h (77.2 mi/h)
Max elevation: 1673 m (5490 ft)
Elevation gain: 1207 m (3959 ft)
Recorded: 6/7/2015 11:35 AM

I also found a way to create a *.gpx file using the My Track app ... would attach here but the file type is not supported.

Ok, so learning to 'share' using the app "My Tracks". I've at least learned how to share via Google Maps. I emailed this to myself from the app:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CmpOxaN_KIREdtdm9DVTVvbnc/view?usp=drivesdk

Once you open the link above (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CmpOxaN_KIREdtdm9DVTVvbnc/view?usp=drivesdk), click on the "down arrow" just below the word "file" in the top left of the screen. This will launch the "TOUR" as though you were flying in a Helo just above the bike. The down arrow looks like this:

post-15780-0-14435100-1435388564_thumb.j

I also found a way to create a *.gpx file using the My Track app ... would attach here but the file type is not supported.

Perfect. Now you can share it, and anyone with a stand alone GPS, or a GPX viewer app on their phone can easily use it.

Perfect. Now you can share it, and anyone with a stand alone GPS, or a GPX viewer app on their phone can easily use it.

Yep - I just wish I could attach to these posts in this forum. I guess for now a PM will do.

Yep - I just wish I could attach to these posts in this forum. I guess for now a PM will do.

Great info. Thanks for putting these pieces together for us!

My biggest two worries about using my iPhone 6+ as a GPS would be biffing it in a crash and vibration rattling it to death.

But I do have an old iPhone 5 that I could use. Bonus is that even though it doesn't have a SIM card you can still call 911 so it could act as a back up if there's cell service.

I have a cheapo RAM mount for my IPhone 5 and it stands up to all the vibration (I use it to listen to music while riding. Also used my IPhone 5 as a GPS when riding in Spain last month)
Eventually they break at the top from bending the plastic arm back and forth to use it........they're only ~$10.......I always keep a couple available.....