Sign in to follow this  
downs

Motorcycle HAM Mobile

My HAM radio mobile setup on my bike. I've went the bluetooth route others here have went the hard wired setup.

Good info, well presented.

I figure I'd better get a similar radio set-up soon so that PMB, et al will get off my back.

Thanks!

Makes group rides MUCH easier for everyone when you can communicate effectively. Heck even if you can just listen in at least you're in the loop for what's going on.

I don't know anything about radios, will this run same frequencies that the rugged radios that most riders use. Looks like with this radio would be well under $100 with wiring to helmet and 12 volt adapter.

I don't know anything about radios, will this run same frequencies that the rugged radios that most riders use. Looks like with this radio would be well under $100 with wiring to helmet and 12 volt adapter.

These radios cover a really wide frequency range from MURS to FRS/GMRS to standard HAM freqs. Keep in mind that these radios aren't legal to use on MURS or FRS/GMRS but it's one of those things you'd be hard pressed to get caught doing. Anywhoo the Rugged Radios handhelds that a lot of folks use are these same radios with a RR badge and double the price tag.

Their current prices for BAOFENG radios are 85 dollars when you can buy them all day on Amazon for 27 dollars on Prime. I have issues with RR on that issue but their wiring harnesses are top notch as many on this forum can attest to.

I know this has been covered before on other threads, but for new readers, keep in mind also that the radios are not legal to use in the ham band without an amateur radio license. The FCC has removed the Morse code requirement and made it easier over the years to get a ham license. Most people can pass with only a modest amount of study. There are exams regularly all around SD.

As pointed out above, it's pretty unlikely that you'll be caught using the radio without a license or out of band on the GMRS/FRS frequencies, especially way out in the boonies on low power on a simplex channel. The FCC runs monitoring programs from time to time, but it's more likely it would be a licensed ham dropping a dime as they're pretty protective their frequencies.

And since my day job involves a lot of FCC and related regulatory work (I was in DC last week for several meetings with the FCC and OET), I should point out that if you do get caught, the fines can be substantial - in theory on the order of $10,000 per day. Though in practice they tend to be only in the $3,000 to $5,000 range for first offenses.

^^^ What he said. Tech license is super easy to get. It's rare for the FCC to get involved on any of this any more though. They have pushed enforcement actions down to city and county law enforcement agencies. HAM forums are saying it takes months of complaining to get the FCC to lift a finger to police FRS/GMRS/HAM bands. Or if you walk over an established radio system/frequency for some kind of authority they get pretty razzed too and they won't be sending cease and desist letters either it'll go straight to levying fines and what not when you walk on offical frequencies.

BUT honestly it's super easy to get licensed and it only cost me 5 dollars and my license is good for 10 years. Hard to beat that and it gives you communications options that are far better than anything else that you can stick on a motorcycle. I can be on my bike in Anza and talk to my buddy down in Pacific Beach though the Palomar Repeaters. Real neat and fun and useful.