Afry

Isle of Man TT claims two more riders

"Charles Hughes, 60, a rider visiting the island as a spectator for the event, crashed on Sunday – an off day for the sanctioned TT events. Then on Wednesday, ACU Events Ltd announced that French competitor Franck Petricola, 32, was killed in a crash at Sulby Crossroads during qualifying earlier on in the day.

The Isle of Man TT is an annual series of motorcycle and sidecar racing events that take place on a 37.73-mile circuit known as the Snaefell Mountain Course on the Isle of Man each summer. It is also one of the deadliest races on Earth, with 237 riders having lost their lives in the event, which dates back to 1907."

Here is a great video of Guy Martin chasing Michael Dunlop at 200+ on the course

https://youtu.be/OmNXCJt7K3Q

I saw Paul Dobbs' widow speaking about his death on a TT special recently. Amazing, but not surprising, to hear her--in front of her kids--saying how proud she was of him and that he died doing what he loved. Ain't that the truth.

Cool to know that Dobsy is buried on the Isle of Man.

"Charles Hughes, 60, a rider visiting the island as a spectator for the event, crashed on Sunday – an off day for the sanctioned TT events. Then on Wednesday, ACU Events Ltd announced that French competitor Franck Petricola, 32, was killed in a crash at Sulby Crossroads during qualifying earlier on in the day.

The Isle of Man TT is an annual series of motorcycle and sidecar racing events that take place on a 37.73-mile circuit known as the Snaefell Mountain Course on the Isle of Man each summer. It is also one of the deadliest races on Earth, with 237 riders having lost their lives in the event, which dates back to 1907."

Here is a great video of Guy Martin chasing Michael Dunlop at 200+ on the course

https://youtu.be/OmNXCJt7K3Q

That's crazy fast!

Hate to hear that.

Just watched some of that video. Wow, it's almost unbelievable that they go that fast on those tight roads. No wonder so many have died. I respect their skills and courage. I just don't have it in me. My moving average in the dirt is around 18mph.

Yeah, at about 5 minutes, they pass that really slow guy only doing 180. Still on my list to go WATCH someday.

Yeah, at about 5 minutes, they pass that really slow guy only doing 180. Still on my list to go WATCH someday.

from the INSIDE of a corner... THAT is crazy-fast, by any measure of speed

I've done speedo-registered 180 before (no... not on my KLR) and it was stupid. Everything is a blur closer than 100 yards

I use to prep the Bike for a rider in the later 70th "Hans Otto Butenuth" and he where 60+ at his time on a Honda 900 BoldeOr.

Local rider Jeremy Toye has raced at the TT and done pretty well.

Videos of jeremy toye isle of man tt

I used to ride with him up at Palomar occasionally and raced with him at Streets of Willow and a few other tracks. Haven't kept up with him since I stopped racing but I know that he's raced some other street circuits in Europe as well.

More spectators die every year than TT participants. Spectators are allowed to ride the course during certain days with no speed limits. A recipe for disaster.

Our satellite is licensed through the Isle of Man. The guy who runs the company that does all the space licensing for the Isle of Man has told me stories about all the folks in both cars and bike that come out each year - and not just for the race itself, but all year round - and get into to trouble driving around the course.

He said the IOM folks have a pretty Darwinist view of it. Let them go and kill themselves if they want, as long as they don't hurt anyone else or livestock in the process.

Sucks that as much as I travel to the UK, I still haven't managed to work things out to be there for the TT.

Went for a little ride last week. Nothing like the boys from the Isle of Man.

20150530_153541_resized_zpssjvbmdh0.jpg

CiD

Whoa! What were you riding?

Believe it or not this was on my KTM 950 SE. I've been doing a few mods to it lately and wanted to check them out.

CiD

This has been one of my favorite mc events for many years....and a bucket list trip. A friend of mine got to go a couple years ago and said it was an amazing time.

SDAR Isle of Man trip??

Believe it or not this was on my KTM 950 SE. I've been doing a few mods to it lately and wanted to check them out.

CiD

Dude. That might be some kind of record for that bike. Was it wobbly?

The truth is I think there is something wrong with my Montana GPS. I'm pretty sure my 950 won't do much more than 110 maybe 120 tops. I was on knobbies and was bouncing around a bit but I don't think I was anywhere close to what the GPS said.

CiD

My Striker read 104 on one trail ride. It was doubled. 52 is on the wild side for me. I think it was on that one long stretch between the Cul-de-sac and Kernan.