EddieEarl

Poway to Thing Valley / Mt Laguna and back

Great ride today with "On Any Sunday" (Craig). Long one. Just under 200 miles.

Started in Poway - met up with Craig in Ramona. He led all day and did a great job. Mo Fo is fast.

From Ramona we went out to Three Sisters via Pine Hills Rd and then to Majors in Pine Valley for some lunch.

After Majors we went out to Hwy 80 to head over past Laguna.

Leg 1: https://goo.gl/maps/5VEqa

From Laguna we took Thing Valley (south) then Kitchen Creek (north) back to Hwy 80.

Leg 2: https://goo.gl/maps/SqobF

Along the way we met up "MCTrails" (Alan ... aka 'The Other Bob') from this forum. Always great to meet great people from the forum out on the trails. Looking forward to meeting more of you guys.

Took Hwy 80 back to Julian. Stopped for fuel. Took Hwy back home.

Leg 3: https://goo.gl/maps/W7dRB

GREAT SUNDAY RIDE!

post-15780-0-36085000-1433136661_thumb.j

You must have been the 2 I passed on Eagle Peak. I was on the Black 950 red jacket.

hey great job on the right up..

i like how you got the map links in there . those are helpful. glad to hear three sisters is open

that 650 xr craig rides is a beast . and he rides it like its a pogo stick.

im glad you guys got that out of your system...lets see some more pics..

i like how you got the map links in there . those are helpful. glad to hear three sisters is open

I go into satellite view so I can see the actual dirt trail.

I create a little 'waypoint' by right clicking the map to "add a destination". I right click on the map exactly where I want to add a destination.

I basically end up creating "directions" between the waypoints I created.

Since Google Maps only lets you create directions between 10 different destinations I needed to create 3 maps.

I suppose the normal destination is a typical street address, but they can also just be "waypoints" created by right clicking the map where you want to add a destination.

Once the map's created I then go to the little gear icon in the bottom right and select "share".

Once in the "share" screen I select "Short Url" and it gives me a short little link.

I'm not sure if I can either save or combine routes on Google Maps. Need to figure that one out.

Glad you guys had a good ride. Sorry I couldn't make the call yesterday, needed a day off. I'm getting old.

Eddie, just as an fyi as another option, load "my tracks" on to your smart phone and it will create the google map for you as you ride. Then you can just upload it when you are done.

Eddie, just as an fyi as another option, load "my tracks" on to your smart phone and it will create the google map for you as you ride. Then you can just upload it when you are done.

Nice! Thx for the info. Goes right along with what I'm just figuring out ... started messing around with "My Maps" in Google Maps b/c after creating the maps from yesterday I tried to "save" them but it didn't work. I had to be logged in to the "My Maps" part of Google Maps first. So, now I'm re-creating the maps in the "My Maps" function.

So, just to confirm ... you're saying that once I create a map in the "My Maps" section I'll be able to pull it up via Google Maps on my Smart Phone, too, right?

Do you know if there's anyway to create a Map by actually going out and riding/driving it? Meaning, if I had been using Google Maps all day yesterday is there anyway to have recorded that ride?

Nice! Thx for the info. Goes right along with what I'm just figuring out ... started messing around with "My Maps" in Google Maps b/c after creating the maps from yesterday I tried to "save" them but it didn't work. I had to be logged in to the "My Maps" part of Google Maps first. So, now I'm re-creating the maps in the "My Maps" function.

So, just to confirm ... you're saying that once I create a map in the "My Maps" section I'll be able to pull it up via Google Maps on my Smart Phone, too, right?

Do you know if there's anyway to create a Map by actually going out and riding/driving it? Meaning, if I had been using Google Maps all day yesterday is there anyway to have recorded that ride?

This is what the app "my tracks" does. You just hit "record", start riding, and it lays down tracks for you. The only problem I have found is that is power consuming. I need to figure out a rugged hard wire options for my Samsung.

...the map can be uploaded into other google map options, converted to a gpx file, emailed to others to use...

I also use "BackCountry Navigator" for recording tracks and for basic navigation. You can access a variety of different maps including satellite, USGS, etc. It records speeds, elevation gain, etc. If you turn your phone signal off and keep it in GPS mode, I can record tracks pretty much all day without depleting your phone battery. When you lose a cell phone signal, your phone constantly searches for a cell tower which really kills your battery. Lots of apps out there similar to this.

This is what the app "my tracks" does. You just hit "record", start riding, and it lays down tracks for you. The only problem I have found is that is power consuming. I need to figure out a rugged hard wire options for my Samsung.

Roger that. Didn't realize 'my tracks' is a separate app. I'm tracking now. Downloaded app - looks great. Thx again.

I've got a killer power set up on the EXC. Check it out.

Hardwired a power port into the battery and zip tied it underneath the Galaxy 3 compatible Ram Mount.

Works like a charm. I end my rides with 100% battery.

* Power port from All American in Ramona - i think it was about $30.

* 12 feet of 16 gauge wire from the auto parts store - maybe $5 ... had plenty to spare.

While I ride I use the phone to listen to tunes (skullcandy earbuds), snap pics/take vidss, and comms (when in cell signal). The one thing I've been trying to dial in is my NAV/GPS solution b/c the Samsung gets a surprisingly good GPS signal while in Airplane Mode ... I just didn't know which app to use. Now, I'll try the "My Tracks" app and i think it'll do great, especially b/c it's a Google Product and I'm already a big Google Drive user.

post-15780-0-10818400-1433185559_thumb.j

post-15780-0-60828600-1433185561_thumb.j

post-15780-0-18097900-1433185564_thumb.j

post-15780-0-75561700-1433185566_thumb.j

twist on wire connectors ....no bueno for automotive/motorcycle since they are not water resistant and can cause a short. Your local autoparts store should have some water resistant kinds that you hit with a heat gun...more bueno. Check this site for some examples...

http://cycleterminal.com/

The one thing I've been trying to dial in is my NAV/GPS solution b/c the Samsung gets a surprisingly good GPS signal while in Airplane Mode ... I just didn't know which app to use.

Also play around with oruxmap. Does a great job for gps/tracking in airplane mode (exports in gpx/kml/kmz which you can import into 'my maps' in google). Has all the stats like regular gps do, and decent offline maps available as well. Looks like google denied them the right to use google maps (when you have cell signal), but there is an easy workaround to make it available

The one thing I've been trying to dial in is my NAV/GPS solution b/c the Samsung gets a surprisingly good GPS signal while in Airplane Mode ... I just didn't know which app to use.

Also play around with oruxmap. Does a great job for gps/tracking in airplane mode (exports in gpx/kml/kmz which you can import into 'my maps' in google). Has all the stats like regular gps do, and decent offline maps available as well. Looks like google denied them the right to use google maps (when you have cell signal), but there is an easy workaround to make it available

Right on - thanks for the referral. I wonder why Google denied them rights? Probably b/c they tried to buy the company but got denied!

twist one wire connectors ....no bueno for automotive/motorcycle since they are not water resistant. Your local autoparts store should have some water resistant kinds that you hit with a heat gun...more bueno. Check this site for some examples...

http://cycleterminal.com/

For sure. The wire nuts were a last minute makeshift connection before a week long trip to Moab. I actually have the heat shield wraps you're talking about but they were for a much higher/thinner gauge wire. They just wouldn't fit. It's on the list to take care of ... along with 18 billion other to do's.

Sounds like a good ride... and I am quite sure I passed you both, well ... not going the same direction of course :) as I can't ever keep up with Craig (especially when he flies down heart attack hill)! But rode two up with daughter out from El Cajon to Lake cuyamaca, and then over sunrise hiway on a vstrom. A little breezy out in the open but a beautiful day along the ridge. Funny that my daughter even questioned how those guys could legally ride dirt bikes on the road... I only smiled. Also, fyi, that cheapy accessory port from cycle gear in town for 19 dollars has a nice mount and a nice rubber cap for bad weather even though the cable is too short if the goal is the actual battery. I like storing the power cable in a small handle bar bag, with reading glasses of course :) The cable is almost always hooked up full time to the GPS, but it sure is handy when I need a phone charge too. That effort is really worth it. cheers.

harbor frieght has a similiar 12v recepticle . althouigh i normally just carry two cell phone batteries so i dont have wires on my bike .

if i was camping off the bike then ya id prolly have 3 sets of wires going to my electric shower, my lap top , and my 12v coffee maker .