Wierdrider

Garmin 60 CSx?

So, I have an opportunity to buy a Garmin 60 CSx with topo loaded. Any thoughts out there? I know nothing about GPS. ?

About $150?

That's a decent price. I usually buy'em up when they're $90-100 shipped to my door (out of town Craigs List buys).

Topo maps are mostly free for local areas.

I also use City Navigator... which has nearly replaced my LBMaps (Navigator/Expedition)

you can find a 78 for that price.

So my bike is already wired for that particular gps unit. Can the 78 be used with an external power supply? Is the 78 better? I know nothing. He will sell it cheaper than $ 150. What should I know?

I personally don't use the 78 (or older 76)... due to button location.
When pressing buttons, your gloved hand covers the screen somewhat.

Otherwise, they are basically the same internal unit. As long as your comparing model for model.

For example, I bought a 60C and it's super limited (no memory card). Now I only use it on my mtn bike. The other 6 Garmins I have are 60CSx models.

Jim, is your bike hard wired with the round 4 pin connector? If so, it is compatible with both models. Johnny definitely knows more about these two units than I do so I would defer to his advice. But the 78 is the newer model, and it has an excellent rep for the intended use, for whatever that's worth.

Yes my bike is hard wired with that connection.

Thank you for the info, I think I will go look at it today.

Do you have the 78 Oracle?

Yes my bike is hard wired with that connection.

Thank you for the info, I think I will go look at it today.

Do you have the 78 Oracle?

Yes. It's super easy to use and does an adequate job...especially for the price.

The 60CSx has a limitation of loading it with 20 tracks max.

Does the 78 have that same limitation? If it does, what model is the next step up (in price), that does not have the 20 track limitation?

The 60CSx has a limitation of loading it with 20 tracks max.

Does the 78 have that same limitation? If it does, what model is the next step up (in price), that does not have the 20 track limitation?

Per;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/gpsmap-78sc/prod63603.html

It says;

10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

... still the same limit in track points at 10K.

If your looking to buy. Look at the model 62 and 64.

Buttons are on the bottom of the unit, below the screen and are much easier to manipulate.

Just be sure to keep the GPS mounted on the throttle side of the handlebars, AWAY from the front brake cable. I see it all too many times, where the front brake line/cable will snag the GPS and tear it from it's mount. Or worse, break off the stubby antenna. Best to keep it low, and out of the way. (see pictures for example on my CRF450X)

post-14-0-21863700-1434986848_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-51303800-1434986897_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-79532000-1434986930_thumb.jpg

20 tracks really isn't much of a limitation.....that's a boatload of tracks.....if you stretch them out mileage wise you'll just lose a bit of fidelity......no BFD

I would NOT buy a 62 since there's no round plug for hardwire......

To Johnny's point, I've seen antennas snapped off by the brake cable.....

That round 4 pin, only uses two pins and is a bit big and bulky for what it is. I use it on my bike, but it's not the only option.

You can wire in a USB power supply... pretty easy, when you buy something like; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGRMGZM?colid=2CBEKELBLVSZ6&coliid=IDKQ43XF7JC82&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

... I use them in all my vehicles to power dash cams, to charge smart phones, to power my Nuvis, etc

I also used one of these for a Buddies eTrex install on his KTM. Worked like a charm.

That round 4 pin, only uses two pins and is a bit big and bulky for what it is. I use it on my bike, but it's not the only option.

You can wire in a USB power supply... pretty easy, when you buy something like; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGRMGZM?colid=2CBEKELBLVSZ6&coliid=IDKQ43XF7JC82&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

... I use them in all my vehicles to power dash cams, to charge smart phones, to power my Nuvis, etc

I also used one of these for a Buddies eTrex install on his KTM. Worked like a charm.

I was concerned the micro usb might fall out and/or let water in.........if you haven't found that to be the case that's good to know......

Have a 60csx now. Have it mounted so antenna is safe. I know 20 tracks is a lot, but at times I've wanted to load more. The 62's and 64's are kinda pricey, that's why I was wondering if the 78 or maybe the 76 will handle more than 20? Can get 76's and 78's for under $200. I think they will take the round pin connector too.

Have a 60csx now. Have it mounted so antenna is safe. I know 20 tracks is a lot, but at times I've wanted to load more. The 62's and 64's are kinda pricey, that's why I was wondering if the 78 or maybe the 76 will handle more than 20? Can get 76's and 78's for under $200. I think they will take the round pin connector too.

Internals of 60 and 76 are identical. 76 has water proof case so it's a bit bulkier.....

Likewise, 62 and 78 have identical internals. Unlike the 62, the 78 still has round plug on the back.

The 62 & 78 can handle more tracks but they aren't as user friendly (IMHO)

I was concerned the micro usb might fall out and/or let water in.........if you haven't found that to be the case that's good to know......

I'm sure it could if you didn't strain relief the wiring near the connection. However, so far... so good.

My round pin allows water... when I wash my bike, or ride in rain... often the GPS will short and turn on (even if it's off). I sometimes will cover it in a ziploc if I'm overly concerned.