PbdBlue

Looking for tracks for area east of Ogilby

I'm interested in exploring the area this winter as well as places to camp with the motorhome, Boondock camping is just fine - don't need\want hookups. Anyone have tracks their willing to share? If not publicly then in the members only area?

I don't have tracks to share but Indian Pass Road will take you out to Picacho and Sidewinder Rd connects with Powerline. There are also some fun tracks through Graffiti Row which is a sight to behold in itself.

I don't have tracks to share but Indian Pass Road will take you out to Picacho and Sidewinder Rd connects with Powerline. There are also some fun tracks through Graffiti Row which is a sight to behold in itself.

Thanks. That's kind of the area I'm looking at. Using Google Earth it looks like there may be rv accessable camping along Indian Pass Road?

Lots of BLM land in the area for camping. Some sections of Gavilan Wash may be difficult in an RV depending on the rig and driver ability.

My favorite camping spot down there is Walter's camp. It's 30 mins or so further from SD but worth it as you can camp on the river's edge. The riding from there is endless, I have tracks around yuma, picacho, blythe, all the way to Havasu. Camping off Ogilby is good too as there are several snow bird areas with good access roads so parking a Moho is no problem. PM me your email and I will send you a couple files.

Go to your nearest BLM office and ask for the Eastern Imperial County map. It has all the trails from Ogilby to Picacho. You can camp off of Indian Pass easily. Hyduke Mine road is just south if there and is a fun road all the way to Picacho road with a lot less deep sand than Indian Pass. There are some great trails on the west side of 78 at the end of Ogilby. The road up to the top of Black Mountain is a fun twisting dirt paved road that gives you a view of the dunes from Glamis all the way to Mexico. Just back down the way you came and don't go down the backside. Post up when you are going out there. I love riding that area.

Thanks. Obviously a bit warm out there right now but thinking in the fall sometime. Just doing a bit of keyboard exploring for future trips. Always wanted to explore that area but never managed to get over there.

I'm also interested in the area. I have created a loop track around the mines from the RV campground off Ogilby Rd, but I don't need hookups either. I'm thinking early December?

Good post thread guys... Please send any good info my way as I have a plan to park the truck somewhere on the loop of Winterhaven, hop on bike to picacho, wander under the many roads under picacho peak, camp a day or two near the water, or walters camp, exit out the north towards ogilby, and wander up to blythe, over to quartzite, then down towards martinez, and back to winterhaven. As much dirt as possible, so any suggested tracks along that loop would be appreciated, even a few out and backs just to see some cool stuff. Maybe the week of thanksgving... with a turkey taco somewhere on the loop. haha [casual exploration on a drz, maybe have some truck support (which actually means bigger cooler support ;)]. Seems like a good 3-4 day loop? cheers.

Lurking.

I don't have tracks for that area but have been out there a few times in a 4x4 during deer season....never got a deer but did plenty of walking.

PbdBlue, A co-worker sent me some GPS coords to a spot along the river for dry camping, I'll see if I can dig them up and send them to you.

Ill check and see if I have any tracks from our rides around there. I'll let you know.

<-------------- been interested in exploring that area too.

Any and all input gratefully accepted. Thinking about a trip during Xmas to New Years break but still undecided.

Thanks for the info support to all of you. I have spent a fair amount of time camping in Picacho and sitting on the bluffs above the river while listening to the wild mules in the back ground with a cold one under mostly full moons...pretty spectacular..... and wandering the waterways in kayaks, mostly at night in the back lakes that are hidden from most casual passerbyers. I recently took an old enduro from the campground and headed towards the Picacho peak, as there are some cool little wander roads out that way - could likely play all day just there... . North out of Picacho would be fun to explore too .... stay along the river as much as possible, maybe a night in walters camp... then a quick up to cross the bridge to travel south on the arizona side... maybe try to find Red cloud from the north, (but may not be possible?) and of course... I keep crossing paths with those folks on Quads who regularly take some dirt trail that connects Martinez/Fisher to Yuma. You all get my gist, so thanks, so maybe do a super long 1 day, or 2 day, an out and back, etc. as it is all good, weekends, thanksgiving, xmas, feb... some time this winter though.. :) cheers.

I'm meeting some AZ friends at Patton Valley on the Oct. 23,24,25 weekend (next weekend) to kick off our 2015-2016 desert season and get a sand fix.. I plan to ride the Picacho area some during the visit. If someone want's to do a little recon of the area, come on down and we'll set up up a ride. It's a rich little area for riding with the river, mines to check out, some challenging and some fast roads to run. I'm licking my chops to get down there.

If you have tracks for the area, please pm me. I'm planning December 10 through December 13. Most likely camp off Ogolby Rd with loops that include both sides of the river, and some out and backs, walter's camp, Picacho, the mines, abandoned towns, etc. all riders are welcome to join, I will post exact camping coordinates after Ii put some day rides together.

On 5/29/2015 at 9:06 AM, PbdBlue said:

I'm interested in exploring the area this winter as well as places to camp with the motorhome, Boondock camping is just fine - don't need\want hookups. Anyone have tracks their willing to share? If not publicly then in the members only area?

Okaaaay... I see lots of responses about this area.... (and I know it's an old thread)

And I too, have a love for those areas. Yet, always in a vehicle and/or on the water (in a boat).  Never on my bike... and, would love to explore.

In fact, I threaten all the time to host a ride from Ocotillo... to Yuma, to Blythe (up the cal side) and back down to Yuma (on the AZ side), then back to Ocotillo.  A long 3 day ride, with overnights in Blythe and Yuma.  And I have tracks for most of it, but they are untested. I'd love to share what I have... and, gain some of what you have. 

I'd also love to camp at Walters or Picacho (not sure about my 36' RV and 18' enclosed trailer making it in), so to say I'm nervous about getting stuck in a small wash or sandy road into the camp areas is an understatement.

... so, how'd this all work out? GOT TRACKS?  B)

I've got some tracks for the area, Picacho to Walters looks like it was wilderness and closed, but maybe only closed by a rogue environmentalist, so it's up to you on that route. Across from the trailer park/campground is a huge BLM area that most people park and camp. There are tons of marked trails in the area as well as open riding. Some trails on your garmin will not go through any more, and there are a lot of marked trails not on the garmin topo maps. I'll send you what I've got, it is a great area to spend a  few weekends riding and exploring.

If you go to Patton Valley make sure to go east and find the old pit mine, it takes a little looking. I went to the bottom and went swimming in beautiful green water (I recommend some sort of shoes, the rocks are sharp). I was a little worried about some weird arsenic or acid or something in the water but my skin didn't fall off and the scenery was surreal.

4 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

If you go to Patton Valley make sure to go east and find the old pit mine, it takes a little looking. I went to the bottom and went swimming in beautiful green water (I recommend some sort of shoes, the rocks are sharp). I was a little worried about some weird arsenic or acid or something in the water but my skin didn't fall off and the scenery was surreal.

LOL...  not too hard to find using a bit of assistance; 

http://california.hometownlocator.com/features/cultural,class,mine,scfips,06025.cfm

Had a change of plans and never did get over there. It's still on my bucket list though.