350thumper

Sun Jun/14 -Noob- Dualsport Ride..

Im planning on riding out with my te630 done it a couple times no real problems you should be fine.

Sounds like a great ride for me .... This will my first SDAR ride, first time on this trail, first time on my new bike.....

Cheers, Chris

Sounds like a great ride for me .... This will my first SDAR ride, first time on this trail, first time on my new bike.....

Cheers, Chris

hey chris first time on this bike ? what kind bike , the ktm?

hope you guys are going to be wearing your protective gear .

im glad to hear your joining in and getting to know some other people to ride with

i have a spare roost deflector and some other loaner gear for the newer riders if nessecary..

like knee pads elbow pads gloves ,

Cheers, Chris

hey chris first time on this bike ? what kind bike , the ktm?

hope you guys are going to be wearing your protective gear .

im glad to hear your joining in and getting to know some other people to ride with

i have a spare roost deflector and some other loaner gear for the newer riders if nessecary..

like knee pads elbow pads gloves ,

Thanks Thumper.... Yes, first 100 miles so far on the new KTM. Feels a lot different than the old DR.... But Im excited and have enough gear too. Thanks for the offer and the reminder though!! Looking forward to getting some dirt on the shiny new bike and seeing some new scenery and meeting new folks.

Cheers, Chris

Definite maybe. I have to at least try to get to any of the rides where I have a chance of keeping the other riders in sight.

jimi , you'll have a chance this ride .. i have to re train my muscle groups how to ride again ..

this is going to be a slow beginners excersize.

i know the route by heart, and its one of my favorites, but no powersliding or jumping off rocks for me this trip ( or fences).

i think your really going to enjoy yourself if you decide to come along...

It's what a "noob ride"l is for...people that aren't sure of what they are capable of, or how they compare speed-wise with everybody else...NOBODY will be racing....every noob ride I have been on has some real noobs, and usually more than a couple experienced riders to help "herd the cats". don't worry about keeping up...just join in and enjoy yourself. you'll usually have a competent lead rider and a competent sweep, and sometimes some mid-herd to help you along; to give tips and hopefully boost your confidence, or correct some obvious issues.

Its so damn cool you guys do this.

I'll never forget the man who taught me to ride, John Deavers. Took me out to Ocotillo on a '72 husky (kick started from the left side) when I was a teenager. His method of teaching was basically, "Try to keep up". It worked.

He was a school teacher by day, and privateer who raced Baja on the weekends. He was a good man. A great rider. And not to sound too cheesy, but what he's passed on to me, riding a dirtbike, in many ways has changed my life. Imagine how different you'd be if you didn't ride???

The passion. Adventure. Comradery. Brotherhood. Experiencing the process of being willing to risk failure (and pain) in the hopes to receive the rewards of success and progress. The whole idea of learning when and how to push past old limits, yet still being able to recognize current ones in order to stay safe, is difficult to even describe.

He passed away in his sleep a few years back. I'll never forget him. In his honor the "noobs" I pass things on to right now are my sons, and their friends. I'm passing on the tried and true method of learning: Watch one. Do One. Teach one.

Noob rides are the best things on the planet and I'll be there if I can. My kids are getting out of school that week so I'm not sure I can make it. But, if I can, I'll be there ... ready to watch, do, and teach wherever I can.

post-15780-0-06634500-1433398236.jpg

post-15780-0-78535300-1433398268.jpg

Its so damn cool you guys do this.

I'll never forget the man who taught me to ride, John Deavers. Took me out to Ocotillo on a '72 husky (kick started from the left side) when I was a teenager. His method of teaching was basically, "Try to keep up". It worked.

He was a school teacher by day, and privateer who raced Baja on the weekends. He was a good man. A great rider. And not to sound too cheesy, but what he's passed on to me, riding a dirtbike, in many ways has changed my life. Imagine how different you'd be if you didn't ride???

The passion. Adventure. Comradery. Brotherhood. Experiencing the process of being willing to risk failure (and pain) in the hopes to receive the rewards of success and progress. The whole idea of learning when and how to push past old limits, yet still being able to recognize current ones in order to stay safe, is difficult to even describe.

He passed away in his sleep a few years back. I'll never forget him. In his honor the "noobs" I pass things on to right now are my sons, and their friends. I'm passing on the tried and true method of learning: Watch one. Do One. Teach one.

Noob rides are the best things on the planet and I'll be there if I can. My kids are getting out of school that week so I'm not sure I can make it. But, if I can, I'll be there ... ready to watch, do, and teach wherever I can.

very cool Eddie... we could probably start a whole thread about "who got you started", and I would expect a lot of the same gratitude expressed. Mine was Big Brother Thomas Sparks. Currently battling multiple mylemioma (or whatever; same thing Schwinn had)... it has opened up a whole new world for most of us. I grew up in the city, and we thought riding BMX bikes to the local park was "getting away from it all"...

Howdy all,

I’d like to do this ride but have a few questions.

How many hours will this ride take? Half day, all day, into the night? Just need an idea before I go in front of the parole board.

I’m also curious about the temps. I currently have a Cortech textile riding jacket which has ok ventilation at best. Road riding in this jacket has been fine at higher temps but I have not tested it DS riding in warmer weather yet. I'm still very new to DS riding.

Nick

Half day if we keep scooting along, and no mechanicals/injuries/worse. Temps will be pretty mild, with no extreme dirt...I'll be in jeans and textile-no liner jacket. plus all protective gear, and whatever protection from Temps they provide

Count me in. I'm a 70 year old retired accountant looking to get back into riding. I have a 2005 KLR650.

Hey Bob , this is a perfect ride for you.

We will both be getting back into the swing of things .

Im probly gonna be a little wobbly at first.. cant wait to get my legs again...

Darren

I think I'm probably beyond a total noob not having ever ridden in the dirt before - and not even a very good mountain biker - but I'd love to try getting some dirt on my new (to me) 650gs... Too big?? Too noob?

Completely your call based on past rides. There is a work around on the toughest of the dirt. Go up Pine Creek (tar) with the group and when they hit the dirt by the big tree, go right and wind your way to Sunrise Hwy on tar, turn left and meet them where they pop out. After that, Thing Valley etc is mild dirt roads and if you like that, the rest could be a go or you could bail around Kitchen Creek.

Ride leads call but an option. I might do this option on a bigger bike.

Bike-not too big...you being too n00b. Depends on you, I guess. I'll probably be helping with sweep, and we can get you through any tough spots, plus there are lots of bailouts

Haven't been riding with anyone lately, Allot of solos. This route is big bike friendly and fun. Was my back yard for a time. I am gonna try to be there on the KTM 950 Adventure.I will help any nOObs with big bikes or just have fun. :ph34r: You can do it!!.

I will help any nOObs with big bikes or just have fun. :ph34r: You can do it!!.

Hey! It's Roooster! :heh:

Lol so I misread the date and though this was today. Lol I waited at the cul de sac for like 15 minutes before going solo up pine creek(14s02 or 3).

Finishing up breakfast in Santa ysabel now. It was a perfect day.

haha nice atleast you got a good ride out of it

Yea only saw 1 other person on the trail.

I need a more comfy seat on the drz though.

Gel seat hurts after a while lol

+1 for seat concepts for the drz. I got the seat concepts low version so I could touch the ground better and it still really comfortable. Sitting and the seat is never an issue anymore.

I was wondering if people were going to show up this weekend since the ride was posted a couple weeks in advance. Nice day for riding though.