Afry

Need Nutsert help - KTM subframe

The lower mount for the subframe on my 950SE attaches to the main frame with a tapered bolt through the frame which threads into a steel Nutsert pressed into the aluminum subframe.

Unfortunately the Nutsert has spun inside the aluminum subframe and egged out the hole. KTM does not sell this Nutsert - just the bolt. I will have the subframe welded and machined to accept a new Nutsert but my problem is finding a 10M x 1.25 metric Nutsert AND tool/mandrel for this size and thread pitch. It seems most common is a 10M x 1.5 pitch.

I have thinking I may have to go with the closest SAE Nutsert and bolt but of course the bolt is a tapered allen head which I can find - just not at the local hardware store.

Trying to do it right I am looking for a 10M x 1.25 Nutsert and install tool - anyone?

Try Marshall's Hardware on Production Ave, right off Miramar Road. Alternately, try Maryland Metrics, online.

The bike is ruined...I'll by it and save you the trouble...how does one grand sound?

I had the same problem with 2 or 3 spinning nutserts on my 198X KX250. A welding shop fixed the problem by removing all the nutserts, spinners and stationary, and welding in alluminum tubes then tapping the tubes to fit the requisite hardware.

It starts with one and you never know where or when the next one will break free.

I bought a proper tapered bolt and a thin nylock nut trying to do a quick fix to go to Baja last weekend but the chain is just a little to close for comfort to do a bolt through for my tastes.

tntmo - thanks, thats half the problem solved!

McMaster-Carr is also a good source for all things hardware. In LA somewhere, so typically fill orders same day and delivered via ground shipping in 1-2 days.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Looks like McMaster-Carr calls them "rivet nuts."

Hee, heee, heee...Arny said "nuts hurt". Hee, hee, heee...We'll make his nuts hurt.

post-15604-0-24771600-1430447859.jpg

I've always heard them called rivnuts.

Quit playing with my nuts :)

http://www.bollhoff-usa.com/ae/us/fasteners/fastening-riveting/blind-rivet-nuts-and-studs/blind-rivet-nuts-studs-rivkle.php

we use riv-nuts in numerous quantities throughout the aircraft industry, the link I posted is for the rivkle line which are the metric size type.

These are the OEM brand (and namesake brand) of this type of fastener. (like Q-tips are to cotton swabs)(or Kleenex are to tissues)

although the special tool is great with its bearing to isolate the nut, a simple bolt with a nut can do the trick to install or even retighten previously installed "riv-nuts" to stop them from spinning.

sometimes you need do a simple stake on the side to get the tightening procedure started,or pinch it with needle nosed vice grip or similar tool to hold the spinning insert, so you can thread out the old screw and thread in the tightening tool.