Sign in to follow this  
Dan Diego

Tracks/route help: AZBDR on Garmin Zumo 660

I've spent a few hours reading through these threads, the ADV threads and general googling.

I'm still in the dark with regard to some basic routing info.

In short, I downloaded the tracks for the AZBDR in GPX format. I then loaded them into my Zumo.

I cannot see how they've created a rideable route.

Tutorial from folks in the know?

Thanks!

Heads up: Routes are different than Tracks.

If you downloaded Tracks you may need a new GPS ie Montana, 76/78cx series, 60/62 series.

From my understanding the Zumo only does waypoints and not tracks. It is more focused on street / road applications where it can guide you to waypoints.

I understood that the Zumo converted tracks to routes.

But then again, I am not computer literate. That's why I appealed to the nerds on this site!

I will try the above method, as well as opening and saving it in MapSource and/or BaseCamp.

I'm sorry that you all had to witness my stunning lack of GPS knowledge in this public forum...

I have a Zumo 660 and it does indeed handle tracks. The GPX files you've downloaded contain tracks (not routes) for the BDR. On the 660 you need to upload/transfer those tracks to the unit (using Basecamp or Mapsource) then you also need to perform the step of "importing" the tracks into the system on the Unit so they are active (ie. show up) on your map display. Unfortunately the 660 only allows like 15 "active" tracks at a given time so you'll need to make sure you don't have any current tracks active and if so, delete enough so you have empty slots. Yeah it's a bit of PITA if you have a trip w/ more than 15 tracks. Basically you need to spend a bit more time in the "Settings"... "Manage Data" option it will be your friend for sure.

I don't have my GPS w/ me now but I can talk you through it later if need be just hit me up on PM if you want a walkthrough.

I have a Zumo 660 and it does indeed handle tracks. The GPX files you've downloaded contain tracks (not routes) for the BDR. On the 660 you need to upload/transfer those tracks to the unit (using Basecamp or Mapsource) then you also need to perform the step of "importing" the tracks into the system on the Unit so they are active (ie. show up) on your map display. Unfortunately the 660 only allows like 15 "active" tracks at a given time so you'll need to make sure you don't have any current tracks active and if so, delete enough so you have empty slots. Yeah it's a bit of PITA if you have a trip w/ more than 15 tracks. Basically you need to spend a bit more time in the "Settings"... "Manage Data" option it will be your friend for sure.

I don't have my GPS w/ me now but I can talk you through it later if need be just hit me up on PM if you want a walkthrough.

That's what I needed, Todd. Will try that and will contact you if I get stuck.

Thanks!

Do what I did...dump the 660 on ADVrider and buy an appropriate GPS...don't even waste your time. You are welcome to use my 78 for your trip.

Do what I did...dump the 660 on ADVrider and buy an appropriate GPS...don't even waste your time. You are welcome to use my 78 for your trip.

You're prolly right. But I sure love my Zumo. It swaps back and forth between my DS and road bike and carries 300+ tunes. And it's waterproof. And it lets me talk on the phone all I want.

What other unit would do that?

And thanks for the offer but I'm leaving early maƱana.