Socaldualer

This Dane's too tall for this average american white guy!

I "think" I know what you are asking... I believe you want to lower your KTM... Ask one of the KTM gurus or just ask suspenders; some of the guys have had success with actually shortening the shock, then dropping the forks in the triple clamps (raising the forks/dropping the triple clamps?... you know what I mean)

yeah thanks bikeslut-ive already installed the bar riser kit and lowered/raised the forks-(its a mind bender for sure,) and i adjusted the pre dampener down a good chunk and installed the SC low profile seat but being 5-7 sucks!

Its not real bad, i had to take a chunk out of the kickstand and re-install the hard rubber boot but it feels like i need an extra at least 1/2 inch and i believe this x bushing gives up to three different adjustment options-i emailed them and they do make it for this bike-just was hoping to find someone that used it.

On a good note man this Seat Concepts seat is plush-pricey but worth it on those 100+ mile rides.

Having a non-gripper seat helps imho. A vinyl seat cover allows you to slide side-to-side when coming to a stop and get more of your leg down. I had a low vinyl seat on my DRZ (suzuki gel) and the best part of it was how I could slide around and get my foot to the ground. I have a gripper on my current bike and I notice the difference - a non-gripper cover will be going on my next seat.

Suspenders at Suspension 101 can take an inch out of the rear shock and you may be able to adjust your forks without needing new springs. Don't quote me on an exact number but maybe $400-600 depending on what you need and you get fresh fluid and new seals. You don't need to be able to flatfoot both feet but sometimes even a one inch lower seat height really does help.

One benefit of being a shorter rider is that you're less likely to get your foot caught in a rut/rock when sticking out your feet in turns/planting (cheating) going up climbs etc!

Thanks Goofy-never thought of that and i just installed an SC gripper!

Oh well its insanely comfy and i would still need to lower the bike so i feel a little more confident in more technical conditions.

Ill see if i cant get Suspenders to chime in.

SCdualer, I had Suspenders lower my plated WR250f 1.5 inches and it made a dramatic difference. I could have gone only one inch and had great results (the seat on that model doesn't really allow you to shave off any foam). If you're ever in the east county or we meet on a ride, you and/or your wife can try the bike out. For my model, I had to get different springs in the front but on my newer bike I wouldn't have to get new springs so ymmv. I have a link on my 450 and for what it's worth, I still think it handles great. I'll shave the seat or install a SC low (non-gripper) and that should do the trick.

Hi Dane,

Shortening the rear an inch done internally, no problem.

Full service on the shock and shortening with shock fluid $125 to $150 depending on what fluid and some variables.

The forks will need a different set of springs and the cost for shortening the forks on your bike is less than many because the bike has longer fork springs than most so shorter springs from other forks will work. No custom springs have to be fabricated.

So the cost with again full service will run $200 to 300 depending again on some variables like your weight, fluids etc.

619 997-5193

Suspension101@cox.net

Will be our of town for weekend with spotty cell service but you can give it a shot if you want more info.

Hi Dane,

Full service on the shock and shortening with shock fluid $125 to $150 depending on what fluid and some variables.

The forks will need a different set of springs and the cost for shortening the forks on your bike is less than many because the bike has longer fork springs than most so shorter springs from other forks will work. No custom springs have to be fabricated.

So the cost with again full service will run $200 to 300 depending again on some variables like your weight, fluids etc.

619 997-5193

Suspension101@cox.net

Will be our of town for weekend with spotty cell service but you can give it a shot if you want more info.

I am interested in doing some mods to lower my bike. Is it similar?

Yes same suspension if we are talking about the 14 500 exc

yes

Hi Dane,

619 997-5193

Suspension101@cox.net

Suspenders-what do you think of the X Bushing/Z bolt setup?-if i install it will i need to do anything to forks?

Im not a gnarly rider and dont mind losing some travel if it will get me another 1/2 to 1 drop-i just need to be a little lower to really feel confident. I have the low profile SC seat-ive already lowered the forks using the bar riser kit and i adjusted the pre-damp down a bit. Thanks for being willing to comment-i appreciate your time!

Jon

Never tested with the X-bushing. Looks like same as lowering link. I have used these on certain bikes to get them to handle better like the KX85 being stiff in the second half of the stroke. Rarely though.

Lowering a bike in this manner softens the rear end so it may be a good idea to look at optimum spring rate as the rear squat or ride height may need to be adjusted.

Shortening a bike in this manner will not reduce the travel so if aggressive bottoming happens the rear travel allows the rear tire to travel further up than the rear fender. So instead of using the shock bottoming bumper you are using your fender.

When shortening the shock internally it actually shortens the travel so the tire will not hit the fender.

If you are not an aggressive rider, and just need to dab to stay on two, then I think it a good option.

If you are a guy that wants the bike at its optimum performance and will set up the bike accordingly then I would avoid it unless, you are making finite adjustments for optimum performance. This means testing.

Actually in the near future all full suspension re-valves we do will include an adjustable rear ride height.

This in the name of performance so we can make incremental adjustments for different terrain, so forth.

If there are a few of you that like this option I can buy a few of them and get you some discount. Guess you have to grind or machine the swing arm and shock though.