Dan Diego

Once again into the mind of a KiLleR (another KLR?)

I missed my KLR and the KLR community. Maybe too much.

As you know, last summer I sold my 2011 orange beauty and bought the "other" orange bike.

Fast forward to today: I ended up buying a 2008 with 50k miles that had been mistreated. The previous owner just didn't maintain it.

The bike burned oil and in 2012, finally died on the side of the road. Not having the money to repair it, he parked it outside with no cover. Along with sun damage, someone drilled out the ignition in an attempt to steal it.

So I got it home today and started looking through it. Haven't opened up the sides yet, but the oil filter is covered with very fine metal particles. Haven't drained the oil, but I'd guess there are bigger pieces. He also stated it was popping out of gear before it died. I'm guessing the head/bearing are toast. I'll get into it soon and see what's up.

So, I have a project on my hands, but I like that kind of stuff. Plus, KLR people are good people. And I live right down the road from Eagle Mike.

I need a few items if you have anything to sell. Ignition, motor, etc. Nothing major...

Unsure if I'm gonna keep or sell it. For now, I'll get it running.

Until then, I could use your advice, encouragement and gentle prodding.

post-14554-0-90398900-1428293977_thumb.jpost-14554-0-54044000-1428293993_thumb.jpost-14554-0-03268000-1428294011_thumb.j

Ahhh don't know what to say. Loved my klr's ..all 3 of them but couldn't go back.

Someone gave him a free milk crate?

Well, I asked for it...

And I didn't know you had 3. Wow.

My plan to be just like you is getting closer to reality!

Is that the one off Close 5? There's a few complete engines on Ebay for about $1000.

i would go with the complete engine idea ... off ebay. ...or the salvage yard up in LA ....thats the cheapest way out . especially if you know somebody that can turn a wrench. .. good lookin bike though...:)

Is that the one off Close 5? There's a few complete engines on Ebay for about $1000.

That's the one.

Oh Dan, what did you get yourself into

Danny, you just echoed what everyone who knows me is saying!

I woke up from a dream in a cold sweat least night. My wife asked what was the matter. I told her I dreamed I bought another KLR (my 3rd).

She just shook her head and rolled over...

i would go with the complete engine idea ... off ebay. ...or the salvage yard up in LA ....thats the cheapest way out . especially if you know somebody that can turn a wrench. .. good lookin bike though... :)

Looking at all of the engine options. Found a couple for $1500 delivered. Hoping to find one locally. Checking with that MC salvage place in Chula Vista (Stockers?).

Dan you are going to need to enroll in this and see if they will take it as a project.

www.uti.edu/programs/motorcycle

Dan you are going to need to enroll in this and see if they will take it as a project.

www.uti.edu/programs/motorcycle

But I can strip that KLR down and put it back together with my eyes closed. Just like an M-16.

That carbed thumper doesn't scare me!

Will have fun playing around with it in my backyard and will cry when I gotta sell it.

I'm glad someone here got that bike. I wanted it, darn Navy!

I've been considering a gen2 as my commuter bike in place of my gen 1...KLR folks are good folks. klr650.net is a great resource

Glad you got her, Dan.

It will be a great project!

I would love to try that windscreen on my bike.

Glad you got her, Dan.

It's yours if you want it, Bob. Let's meet up soon and see what I got myself into.

Subscribed for the impending mental implosion in 3...2.... oh wait, you've already blown a gasket. Never mind. Looks like a fun project.

Glad you got her, Dan.

It's yours if you want it, Bob. Let's meet up soon and see what I got myself into.

I'll take it. Sounds good. I would like to see what you got into. Ha Ha

But I can strip that KLR down and put it back together with my eyes closed. Just like an M-16.

Could we get a pic of you taking it apart with a blindfold on?

Im anxious to see what the oil pump looks like..

Hmmm, unsure about an oil pump, per se. But it sure was pumping oil all over the ground.

Here's a photo of me working on my bike blindfolded...post-14554-0-49741200-1428416884.jpg

Edit: Apparently, that wasn't a photo of my greasy mechanic skills. Well, I had help...

Found this great site about a guy who bought a KLR in similar circumstances.

http://blog.geofcrowl.com/articles/2013/1/9/build-journal-klr650/

If I don't sell it quickly, I'm gonna have a lot of fun tinkering with this baby.

Head comes off this weekend.

Eagle Mike, right down the road in El Cajon, is on board and has been super helpful. He has everything I need, so this should be fairly easy. And fun.

Thumper Bob stopped by and can chime in on how the project is looking thus far.

Yeah.

It was great talking with you and checking the bike out. The bike looks better than I expected. It will be a fun project for sure.

Hell, all you have to do is change the oil!