tvscum

Ramona to Anza with a couple stops along PCT, Saturday March 7

I am thinking about this route on Saturday, March 7. Meet at Packards Coffee in Ramona at 8:45am, kick stands up at 9am.

This Google Map link below shows a previous San Diego Hijinks route from Dualsportmaps. I am thinking of taking a couple detours into Lost Canyon and Tule Spring, which lead to Pacific Crest Trail crossings.

EDITED:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z6AhGHH0Vx_o.kY0bFJTkQZS0

I am curious to check out those crossings because that's where that missing hiker was hiking when he disappeared two weeks ago. We might keep an eye out for buzzards circling. Just curious about that hiker because the sheriff has called off the search for him. No riding on PCT,of course.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19694-missing-hiker-between-anza-and-warner-springs/

Also, that blue leg to the east up Tule Canyon TT and ending at Tule Spring, I understand there is an informal gun range in that area. Has anybody ever shot a handgun there?:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4597903,-116.6050797,139m/data=!3m1!1e3

Just curious about that range, though. We don't have to shoot if riders would rather not.

I will probably slab it back, but I might be up for slabbing to Idyllwild and then heading down Bee Canyon. I will be on my XR400 so the vibration mileage could be a killer.

Suggestions? Leaders? Accomplices?

I wish I could join, but family responsibilities have me booked for the entire day. Hopefully next time.

I'll be in my Jeep for TDS out in Ocotillo but I'd assume this wont' be big bike friendly anyway haha.

It's big bike do-able as I am a pretty slow rider. Still, it may not be fun for noobs on big bikes.

Sounds like fun but I only like left turns this weekend.

Sounds like fun but I only like left turns this weekend.

Ok flat tracker. Are you at del mar this weekend?

Sat and Sun...well hopefully Sun if Sat goes well :)

I do want to get the 950 out for a stretch though and have been wanting to check out the crossover from Rim Rock Rd west to Twin Lakes (goes past Lone Pine Reservoir) Not sure if any of it is gated or not. Maybe the weekend of 3/14-15 for me.

Sat and Sun...well hopefully Sun if Sat goes well :)

I do want to get the 950 out for a stretch though and have been wanting to check out the crossover from Rim Rock Rd west to Twin Lakes (goes past Lone Pine Reservoir) Not sure if any of it is gated or not. Maybe the weekend of 3/14-15 for me.

I have been corresponding with a "Pacific Crest Trail Angel" who lives in Anza. Here are some excerpts from her emails regarding that area:

Looks like a fun route. I don't know the area south of Chihuahua Valley, but I know Cooper Cienega TT and the Beauty Mountain Wilderness very well. One point of interest that you will be passing by is Cooper Cienega itself, which gives the road its name. It is a few hundred yards off to the right (east) of the Truck Trail just south of Twin Lakes. There's an artesian well that continuously spurts over 100 gallons a minute, 300+ year old live oaks, and an old Indian village site (unmarked) in the vicinity. Lots of wildlife here, but I suspect the sound of dirt bikes will scare everything away. Because of the availability of water, there used to be several illegal pot grows in the canyon just below there, but I think they've all gone away, since it is so easy to grow large amounts of pot on private property these days.

If you do end up being in the area and you are riding north from Lost Valley/Chihuahua Valley, be aware that what appears to be a thru route from Cooper Cienega TT to Terwilliger Rd just north of Twin Lakes is gated at Rim Rock, so you would need to go all the way around via Bailey Rd just south of the Cahuilla Indian Rez, then south on Terwilliger to Tule Cyn Rd. -- There's no short cut that goes all the way through. Neither dirt bikes not mountain bikes are allowed on the PCT, but both are allowed on Tule Cyn Rd, all the way to the spring.

I love this route , one of my favorite local rides......and wish I could join you....have some bike maintenance to accomplish this weekend before some upcoming trips, including Moab in April.....have fun and post some pics..

Wish I didn't have to work :( Looks like a fun route and I would love to do it someday. Looking to go on some trails I haven't been on !! Looking forward to the ride report after !!

What kind of tank range is needed? I don't have a way to map it right now.

I estimate that run from Ramona to Anza is going to be between 80 and 90 miles, including the two side legs.

I've done this route quite a few times. It's fun and definitely big bike friendly. It would be easy to add part of that Thomas Mountain loop in there if you wanted...it's worth it. You guys have fun!

Looks like it's going to be a solo run. I will still be leaving from Packards at 9am just in case someone decides to show up.

David - wish I could've made this one. I had 2 commitments tomorrow which both fell through about 8 tonight but "someone" had backups to those. :axehead: Thx for posting up

I'm surprised with all the noobs around here lately there were no takers for this great route.

Yup - but the Death Valley thing is happening right now and a ton of folks went there. I wish this was next Sat.......

Great route.

Post 3 said "might not be fun for noobs on big bikes"...that might be a deal breaker for some...its what scared me

Got a flat front tire on Santa Isabel truck trail. Took the lazy way out and returned to All-American KTM. Should be leaving again in 20 minutes. Planning on spending the night in Idlylwild.

Made it to Idyllwild for the night

69025518-007F-4B58-AC7B-EC0A294EBE36_zps

Tule Spring on the way up

A3944F92-8FA9-468B-B17B-095602CE9CBE_zps

Good times.

I tried to get there in time, but ultimately was about an hour late. I followed your tracks though. I got up as far as the turn off lost valley, but there was a locked gate, and it said no motorcycles. Maybe it was the wrong road? I couldn't see another one. Turned around, back to Warner Springs, and figured I'd try the Palomar Divide which was on my list. Same ----, locked gate off 79. I eneded up going down to Pala, up and over the mountain via Nate Harrison, and boring slab for the rest of the way home. Long day in the saddle though, 220 miles. I wish I had a hot tub.

Somewhere up from Ramona:

QYfXGmg.jpg