jimi

Question about Otay entrance around Aquatica

I guess that's conside Otay? Maybe just CV? Went putting around there last Saturday since I was in the area, and was trying to remember where I had gone the last time I was on a group ride with you guys. Anyway, seems like every direction I went, I ran into a sign "Sensative Habitat Area, no trespassing, violators prosecuted, etc". Where all these there last time and I just didn't see them? Lots of little colored flags stuck in the ground marking some species of milkweed or whatever. I obeyed them and turned around, but made for very short play time. Did I just miss a special trail?

I stopped going down there due to all the new signs posted about tresspassing and private property. All the signs are new and have just been recently posted over the last couple months

Thanks. At least it wasn't just me being an idiot. I was worried I was missing something. I guess I'll ride further East and try to figure out the Pio Pico entrance. Never been there.

I guess that's conside Otay? Maybe just CV? Went putting around there last Saturday since I was in the area, and was trying to remember where I had gone the last time I was on a group ride with you guys. Anyway, seems like every direction I went, I ran into a sign "Sensative Habitat Area, no trespassing, violators prosecuted, etc". Where all these there last time and I just didn't see them? Lots of little colored flags stuck in the ground marking some species of milkweed or whatever. I obeyed them and turned around, but made for very short play time. Did I just miss a special trail?

Jim,

The road going in is actually a road, you are aloud to ride on that dirt road. There are some signs posted along the road for no trespassing mainly the hills along the right side, but not all of them. If you stay on the road tho you can go all the way through, if you want to play on some of the other trails you just have to look and be sure there isn't any signs.....The road can take you all the way to Alta rd by the prison, from there you can get onto otay truck trail, or go through the tunnel under Alta rd, Fun route.

At least that is how the signs where when I was down there about a month ago.

Next time you want to go, let me know and I would be happy to show you the pip pico entrance also.

There are now signs at the start of all the trails off the main dirt road.

Bummer, :( I enjoy that area a lot.

How about the North side of the road, is there signs there?

I didn't make it to far when I went down there just recently. There were vehicles parked in the dirt and people walking around with paint cans marking certain areas. All the signs are brand new and at the start of each trail/path off the main road coming in from the aquatic entrance. I didn't wanna push my luck I have had my share of expensive tickets so I left. I know its a bummer and I came here often due to being the closest place to ride by my house.

I stopped use the Aquatica parking / entrance because a local guy warned of possible parking tickets. Never got ticketed but now I prefer to use the end of La Media road for access. Continued development from the north, It will probably be covered with townhomes in a few years.

This area appears to be part of a planned Otay Ranch Preserve, which has been in works since the 1990s. The preserve is a combination of City of Chula Vista and SD County land. In 2009, Chula Vista and the County hired an environmental firm named RECON to monitor and manage the preserve lands. The most recent report I can find is from 2013. The firm monitors plant, animal & insect life, eradicates invasive plants, and installs fences, gates and signs. The report below includes a photo of seven dirt bikes from April 2013 riding on a section of land called the Salt Creek Parcels. The photo is on page 54 almost all the way to the end:

http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/reusable_components/images/parks/doc/RMD/BiannualPOMReport_JanApr2013.pdf

The private firm RECON says in the report it is concerned about both Border Patrol and private vehicles going off the trails into sensitive habitat. It's unclear whether the main dirt road itself is considered sensitive. There is a section of land down there designated as a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS). There seems to be a massive amount of government money being pumped into monitoring and inspecting this area.

Power point presentation 2011:

http://www.sdmmp.com/reports_and_products/Meeting_Materials/Presentations/POM%20SDMMP%201.26.pdf

It looks like the Otay Ranch Preserve will eventually meld up into Otay Mountain preserve.

Interesting. They did have flags on some plants that were in the middle of the dirt trails. While a bike could go around them, I'm guessing they consider it sensitive.

This is great information, and thanks for the research and post.

This area appears to be part of a planned Otay Ranch Preserve, which has been in works since the 1990s.

This area appears to be part of a planned Otay Ranch Preserve, which has been in works since the 1990s. The preserve is a combination of City of Chula Vista and SD County land. In 2009, Chula Vista and the County hired an environmental firm named RECON to monitor and manage the preserve lands. The most recent report I can find is from 2013. The firm monitors plant, animal & insect life, eradicates invasive plants, and installs fences, gates and signs. The report below includes a photo of seven dirt bikes from April 2013 riding on a section of land called the Salt Creek Parcels. The photo is on page 54 almost all the way to the end:

http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/reusable_components/images/parks/doc/RMD/BiannualPOMReport_JanApr2013.pdf

The private firm RECON says in the report it is concerned about both Border Patrol and private vehicles going off the trails into sensitive habitat. It's unclear whether the main dirt road itself is considered sensitive. There is a section of land down there designated as a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS). There seems to be a massive amount of government money being pumped into monitoring and inspecting this area.

Power point presentation 2011:

http://www.sdmmp.com/reports_and_products/Meeting_Materials/Presentations/POM%20SDMMP%201.26.pdf

It looks like the Otay Ranch Preserve will eventually meld up into Otay Mountain preserve.

Nice info.I grew up in bonita valley and could ride from my parents house to the border on A dirt bike with no problems.one or two roads to cross.That was in the early 70's. I still live close to bonita and the dirt riding areas are constantly moving farther away.My house sits where I used to ride as A kid.

I always assumed the signs meant not to leave off the dirt path/roads. Similar to some National Forest areas where they limit your travel to within 100 yards of the side of the road. Even on foot.