boat440

Radio Disconnect Question

I've never owned a radio, so this is a newbee question, is there any concern about being connected to the motorcycle via the PTT button if it is mounted to your handlebar?

All the set-up's I see have a quick disconnect, does anyone have an experience that the disconnect did not disengage during a fall?

Are people mounting the PTT button to their chest protectors?

Thanks!!!

PTT goes on the handlebar- you want your hands on those most of the time while riding.

And while it's true I've only fallen off my bike once, maybe twice ever- the PTT will disconnect itself easily.

I ride with a PTT on the handlebars, within easy thumb-reach, and have a second PT on my pack/chest, radio in the backpack. This way if I'm separated from the bike, I can plug into this second PTT and still talk.

Most PTT go to ground on the radio. You could make a Y cable and have the handle bar PTT and a chest PTT button. Just connect and disconnect from the handle bars getting on and off. The chest PTT is always connected. Check with the radio maker first.

David

KE6UPI

Thanks Rich for the idea..

My friends and I have crashed plenty of times while connected to radio kit with the PTT on the bars, in all cases the wire has successfully disconnected.

That's the downfall of the cheap ebay helmet kits vs Rugged Radios - the cheap ones are not quick disconnects.

That's the downfall of the cheap ebay helmet kits vs Rugged Radios - the cheap ones are not quick disconnects.

Thanks for the feedback Afry.

The $200 Rugged Radio set-up (includes everything) is that considered good quality?

If yes, then I will purchase it. Thanks!!!