Trying not to pump the forum with questions that already have answers, but I'm new to the DD and have a few things to ask. I suppose I could send a message to Randy but maybe others also want to know.

Does trail/routing info arrive ahead of time? I'm hoping to narrow down the routes I can read about before the event.

What meals are NOT provided? Reading prior posts it seems that SDAR provides lunch stops on both days and Saturday dinner...am I on my own for breakfasts and maybe Friday night?

Where is gas along the routes? My KLX has a 4-gal tank so I'm not too worried about range, just want an idea of what's out there.

Being pretty new to desert riding, how many sections will I have to bypass if I want to finish before dark? :) (Lots of subjectivity to that question.)

No trail info till the event but at all about the same as previous years - but being your first year that means zip to you. Sooo they are well known trails with your gas range you are fine with gas available in Borrego and Salton City (lunch). If you take all the long ways it's usually 210 or so miles on day one but some of the sand will suck a little more fuel then usual. Day two is shorter about 160 miles (in past years).

Yes you will need dinner on Friday, breakfast on Sat and Sunday morning.

If you do it all then start early to finish before dark depending on your pace of course. You can always bail out and get home much quicker by hitting the pavement back to camp. Plenty of opportunities to bail along the way.

Not going out on a limb by saying that any of the volunteers will be happy to discuss the trails with you once you get them. If you see a guy with a camo KTM cap that may be me and say hi, I'll be riding a 525 or 950SE but probably the 950.

If it's similar to similar years the range between fuel stops is less than 100 miles so a 4 gallon tank should handle that easily. The one thing to be aware of is that there is no gas at the Butterfield or even nearby so come with a full tank and bring fuel to top off after Saturday's ride.

These guys ^^^^^^^^^ covered it well. I'll just reiterate...there will be several opportunities to bail out and slab back to camp. 200 plus miles can be a very long day in the desert for some people. No shame in slabbin' back to camp early for cold beers.

...one more thing...it's all about having fun, life is short, do what you want...that's how see it.

Don't worry, everyone will help, believe me I know. Make sure you have a roll chart holder if not GPS, go to the volunteer camp area, hang out , introduce yourself etc. (bring your own drinks), there will be plenty of people to ride with it's not a race. There were parts that scared me every year and I crashed at least once almost every year. Don't worry about big miles there is always bailouts, and you won't be alone if you come back early.

Relax have fun, don't feel pressured because you are being passed, chill, relax, enjoy the riding and scenery.

Unc C.

A question I didn't get the chance to ask at last week's meeting:

How do I get the GPS tracks onto my GPS if we don't get the file in advance? I'm not bringing my computer to the Dash. Randy's told me that there's also a roll chart but never having used one of those I'm reluctant to count on figuring it out while I'm riding on new trails.

BTW, it was nice to meet a few of y'all at the meeting. Looking forward to meeting more this weekend.

There will be nerds there to help you download from their nerdy computers...bring your patch cord if you have some funky gps

I'm planning on being one of the "Nerds" on the weekend with basecamp to load for Garmin products, I crash coursed it and it's pretty simple. Also if you've got a newer, wireless transfer capable Garmin I'll be able to accommodate on that avenue as well once I load it to my GPS.

Roll chart is simple and works without power, it's never failed me.

No disrespect observed. I filled the role of Ogre and Louis in high school. I'm more of a hacker (I T guy) which is what you really need to be for the newer vehicles nowadays. In fact the dash is what motivated me to iron out my own GPS system (And get laced wheels for my F650GS twin, but that's another thread on another site.) and mess with the Topo 24K software I got last year.

These are some simple observations to help - there will be table/s with helpful folks to load the Gps tracks in your handheld Gps the evening before the event and perhaps early the day of. The tracks are not sent out over the internet and please be respectful of the event coordinator by not posting them. The most important part of the Gps and the tracks - are knowing how to use you handheld Gps- being able to (Garmin) "show tracks" "hide tracks" etc. If you have not used you Gps, and are not all that familiar with it, take it in the car on the way to work and make a track, then follow it...etc.

As far a the roll chart... you will need an accurate odometer and it helps to be familiar or somewhat familiar with the area. If you get out of sorts and confused with the where you are, you may need to be able to improvise and simple work you way to the next main point. (Note: there are also very accurate maps included at sign up- take a look familiarize yourself the evening before with the route). Typically, there are few hard cores who leave real early (still dark.. 6ish am) most leave 7-8. Everyone I have meet at these rides are all really good people and have no problem with you riding with them. Look for bikes similar in size (weight) to yours as they will be more willing to have you join in. :smile_anim: . You literally can ride a good portion of the the ride on asphalt as a bypass - as there are only a few areas which are truly remote. Unfortunately, I cant make it this year, or i would be happy to lead a group myself... and I typically ride solo. This club has a strong group of dedicated sweep riders which will insure you are not left out there. Also, there are two great lunches with super host and a big rider turn out. If you haven't meet anyone on the ride yet, you will certainly meet them there. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies. I have a Garmin Zumo 550; designed mostly for the street but okay off-road with the biggest difference that I don't have topo. Not an issue for this weekend. If nothing else I should be able to get the routes onto an SD card.

Thanks for the replies. I have a Garmin Zumo 550; designed mostly for the street but okay off-road with the biggest difference that I don't have topo. Not an issue for this weekend. If nothing else I should be able to get the routes onto an SD card.

Heads up: Unless I'm mistake, the Garmin Zumo cannot follow Tracks. Zumo can only link you to Waypoints or a set of Waypoints. Routes are different than Tracks, I "believe" you shall receive Tracks at Desert Dash registration and not Routes (BUT I may be incorrect in this assumption).

In all my conversations with SDAR members it seems that most everybody here uses Tracks locally. It wasn't until I rode with some out of state guys that I realized other people can prefer Routes. They pretty much exclusively used Routes and it took me a bit to adjust/learn how to follow them as I had never used them before. My preference is to follow Tracks but that's largely because it's all I know.

The 550 does not use tracks, but will automatically convert them to routes when they're imported. I've had mixed luck with this- there were times it worked just fine, others not as much. BE SURE to turn off auto recalulate (and that sometimes needs a restart to "stick") and don't rely on it completely. If you're (like me) a map kinda person, Wilderness press makes a pretty good one of the area that I'd carry if I were riding there. I got mine at REI (yes i know I'm an evil turncoat treehugger for shopping there).

I've also had plenty of difficulty importing tracks/routes to the 550- might be 100% my fault- or not. But I use it a lot now for XW and rely on a Montana for the limited navigation of which I'm capable.

? For u guys If I sign up on Saturday morning do I still get to eat bbq and lunch and is there still enough spots left to ride?

? For u guys If I sign up on Saturday morning do I still get to eat bbq and lunch and is there still enough spots left to ride?

Yup, just make sure you beat One guy and you'll take his meal!

Just kidding... yup, lots of people sign up the morning of the ride. Randy is expecting that and will have food for you at lunch. Come on down and enjoy the ride!

What is the camping/parking situation at Butterfield Ranch? Do we just show up and park/camp and as long as we're registered for the ride we're good? I haven't decided whether to come out Friday night flying blind as to where to camp or just come OMG early on Saturday morning find someplace to leave my truck and sort out camping after the ride. .

Call...I think they usually have overflow-type space, but call to make sure. hook-ups might all be reserved.

What is the camping/parking situation at Butterfield Ranch? Do we just show up and park/camp and as long as we're registered for the ride we're good? I haven't decided whether to come out Friday night flying blind as to where to camp or just come OMG early on Saturday morning find someplace to leave my truck and sort out camping after the ride. .

There's plenty of parking/camping spots out back, sewer but no power and dry camping.. If you want to be in the mosh pit where they have elect., sewer at the north-east end of the park, and where most DD riders camp, you might still get a spot. You'll want to check in at the store/office, really reasonable rates. Plenty for all.

Cool, thanks guys! I'm just driving my truck out with the shell on and my bike on a hauler. Not gonna bother bringing my trailer. I'll sleep in the back of my truck and I'm assuming since this is a campground that they have bathrooms and showers. Yes?

I have a portable shower and toilet I could bring but I'm not sure they'd be down with that in the middle of the campground so I'll just hope for their sake that the facilities are available.