Goofy Footer

SDAR Death Valley Trip ~ March 6-8, 2015

Your route takes you east of Ft Irwin into Baker, Furnace Creek then PSR. imho I would prefer to stay west of Ft Irwin and parallel the 395. There look to be lots of large powerline fast dirt roads that run north/south just east of the 395. This option should cut down on the extra miles you might encounter going so far east.

thanks for your input, goofy footer. re-routing to your suggestion cuts the distance down to around 300 miles -- much more manageable!

This was a 905 mile loop for us, one of the best dual sport rides I've ever been on. All of us on small bikes too.

hotrod, thanks for your input too, though i think you took a more roundabout route than i'd have time for. where was your oil escaping from?

Your route takes you east of Ft Irwin into Baker, Furnace Creek then PSR. imho I would prefer to stay west of Ft Irwin and parallel the 395. There look to be lots of large powerline fast dirt roads that run north/south just east of the 395. This option should cut down on the extra miles you might encounter going so far east.

thanks for your input, goofy footer. re-routing to your suggestion cuts the distance down to around 300 miles -- much more manageable!

This was a 905 mile loop for us, one of the best dual sport rides I've ever been on. All of us on small bikes too.

hotrod, thanks for your input too, though i think you took a more roundabout route than i'd have time for. where was your oil escaping from?

The route we took can easily be shortened, instead of going north from ashford junction toward furnace creek, go west toward panamint springs. Depending on how you are doing time wise, you could slab it to PSR or stay on the dirt the entire way. If you go through Trona, there is a great trail up over the hill heading east/west that will take you into DV.

My oil leak was a stripped bolt holding the top head plate down, not an easy fix.

Im really looking forward to this trip and also the adventure getting there. Whos all planning on driving there and on what bike? Im hoping to drive as much dirt as possible on the way up there. Kato's adventure pics look awesome.

I would be interested in doing mostly dirt to

DV. The big bear route sounds pretty awesome. Sdhydro if you want I could ride with you.maybe get some more small bikes together?. I am kinda familiar with Big bear and high Desert areas. Though I do not have a GPS on my bike... I am good with paper maps.

Hey guys. Good to see you're coming back to Death Valley. I enjoyed meeting and riding with your group last year. I'll be out there Mar 3-10 to do some route checks and go to a few mines that I haven't been to in some time. If this sounds interesting to anyone they're welcome to come along.

Just reserved a cabin for that friday and saturday night, excited to meet some people and have fun rides!

I will be on a DR 650 and my father on the 1200 gs, so we won't be doing very technical stuff, but should be fun.

See you all in march.

I actually have the group site on the 5th as well. I'm planning on arriving around noon on the 5th and doing a little riding. Everyone is welcome to camp in the group site, they will allow as many tents as you can fit but only 10 cars on the outside perimeter. Extra cars are $5 per night. The showers and restrooms are relatively nice. The group site does have power for charging your electronics. There is no landline or cell phone service at Panamint.

If you haven't been, It's better than you've heard.

Looks like I might be in on this gig, thank you. Might arrive Thursday possibly.

Does a bike count as a car or can we just park next to the tent?

Some cool pics from DVDaze on ADVrider

Titus Canyon

_DSC0416-XL.jpg

G0040185-XL.jpg

15810470904_7d57f062fd_c.jpg

DSCF8586-XL.jpg

Trona Pinnacles

DSCF8522-XL.jpg

Teakettle Junction

16220735169_e6aa844024_z.jpg

Racetrack Playa

16230054339_7013c6eef4_z.jpg

1621773_10202504513933513_18154471425542

Cabin at end of Trail Canyon

10968524_10202504296088067_1499904494708

9262519c96d3496ac2f1b6f17126bc28.jpg

GreenWaterStart_zpsb23de3a0.jpg

DSCF9199-M.jpg

Hemming and hawing over which bike to bring, just ordered a 2 gallon rotopax which back of the envelope math indicates should give the WR the same range as a DRZ with a Clarke 3.9.

Are you camping or Hoteling? I am really thinking of going, I would be taking my big bike. Are you going to ride up or trailer up? I would be interested in ridding up if someone wanted to join. I can also truck up too. I have never been on this trip but have heard a lot of good things about DV. I would say I am 100% in unless I get called into work. Let me know of others that have committed because of ridding up with someone or pooling up with someone. Thank you.

Dan, I just read this and we have talked about this. I will be in Yuma for a Car show if my MB is ready by than. If the is not ready. I will consider to do DV. I hope to know this in the next two weeks. My wife will be in Germany and don't care where I spend my weekend. I would trailer and bring the LANCE.

Hey Jockey! I'll have some firewood if you would like some company before the rest of your group shows up.

Absolutely! I'll know my schedule better in a few weeks. I may arrive late on the 4th just to get in a solid day of riding on the 5th. I haven't made any ride plans yet but mines are on my mind. With good lights this time.

Count me in too. I will most likely truck my bike up but if someone actually wants to do a marathon day in the dirt on Thursday fron SD I would be down for that. Either way I'd like to take advantage of the group site if possible.

Good deal. You guys are fun to ride with. If mines are on your mind, perhaps Defense Mine, Jail canyon up to the Corona mine or out to Ballarat and up Pleasant canyon. There's a lot of places to go, I have GOOD fuel range so anything you want to do is cool with me.

Nice pics Mikey777. DV is even more fun off the pavement!

Wintyfresh - tough call on bikes. Sounds like the WR is creeping into DRZ ride territory! Do you plan to keep the DRZ for sumo? The DRZ might be more comfy for DV slab opposed to the WR.

More pics from DVDaze

G0070253-XL.jpg

_DSC0455-XL.jpg

G0090327-XL.jpg

_DSC0473-XL.jpg

15827115953_8362aa6cf0_c.jpg

Remote hot springs at Warm Springs off Saline Valley Rd

16440537185_520819045e_c.jpg

is there anyone trucking up on thursday, 3/5 and with room? i'd like to either, a) hitch a ride, or B) throw a bag in to keep my bike light. happy to contribute towards fuel, of course.

or c) if anyone else is riding up thursday and wants to ride together, i'm not adverse to that either.

thanks in advance, i'm stoked to explore dv!

johnnyg

Spitballing some routes...

Saturday Aguereberry, Charcoal Kilns, and Mahogany flats (Stolen from ADVRider): http://binged.it/1q3zTc3

Sunday Badwater, Devil's Golf Course, Artist's Palette, Cloride Cliffs, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon: http://goo.gl/maps/DkHwH

Monday tour of Scotty's Castle, visit Ubehebe crater and the racetrack, return Lippincott and Saline Valley: http://goo.gl/maps/HYqkx

If you wanted to condense the dirt sections to one long day and bypass the sightseeing: http://goo.gl/maps/IbRRR

Feedback appreciated!

Spitballing some routes...

Saturday Aguereberry, Charcoal Kilns, and Mahogany flats (Stolen from ADVRider): http://binged.it/1q3zTc3

Sunday Badwater, Devil's Golf Course, Artist's Palette, Cloride Cliffs, Rhyolite, and Titus Canyon: http://goo.gl/maps/DkHwH

Monday tour of Scotty's Castle, visit Ubehebe crater and the racetrack, return Lippincott and Saline Valley: http://goo.gl/maps/HYqkx

If you wanted to condense the dirt sections to one long day and bypass the sightseeing: http://goo.gl/maps/IbRRR

Feedback appreciated!

They all look like good routes. Your Sun and Mon rides will have alot of slab to them. For your Mon ride you should top off fuel at stove pipe wells, Scotties no longer has gas.

They all look like good routes. Your Sun and Mon rides will have alot of slab to them. For your Mon ride you should top off fuel at stove pipe wells, Scotties no longer has gas.

Thanks! Unfortunately given the stuff we're trying to see the slab seems unavoidable. Stovepipe Wells only sells 87 octane, the jag down to Furnace Creek is to fill up on 91.

What actual range is needed for DV, 150? 200?

Also do we have a group for a ride out of sd yet?