Goofy Footer

SDAR Death Valley Trip ~ March 6-8, 2015

If you've been thinking of a trip to visit Death Valley National Park this Spring, why not do it March 6-8, 2015 at Panamint Springs Resort? SDAR's own CableJockey has stepped up and reserved the coveted group campsite should you wish to meet up and go for a ride. At this time I cannot 100% confirm my attendance in March but I'm happy to help organize and provide tracks/route ideas.

There are lots of great loops to ride and many mines/cabins to explore.

Here are some prior Ride Reports to help spark your interest

January 2015 trip ~ http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19465-death-valley-jan-9-12-2015/

March 2014 trip ~ http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17667-sdar-goes-to-death-valley-march-2014/

Here are some Informal Ride threads with some good info in them

2015 ~ http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19330-death-valley-jan-9-12-2015/

2014 ~ http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17198-death-valley-spring-march-7-9-2014/

2012 Trip

Death Valley can be fun to explore on both small and big bikes. Death Valley is a great National Park with pristine scenery and expansive wilderness. It is a sight to see and enjoy. In terms of moto offerings, DV is n00b friendly, big bikeable and family friendly fun. Smaller bikes will enjoy big miles across scenic terrain just like the bigger bikes do. There are only a few technical sections in DV but the riding is not to be missed no matter what bike you're on. Bolt up your big gas tanks, slap a rotopax (or 2) on your bike and bring along some milk jugs because you can put in some seriously big mileage days exploring the great things DV has to offer. All vehicles in Death Valley must be plated and licensed for street use.

Disclaimer: This is not an organized rally. This is not an organized ride. This is not an official SDAR event. You hereby agree that Goofy Footer and CableJockey is not liable for anything. Your attendance is voluntary. If you so choose to bring your street legal motorcycle or vehicle to the aforementioned campout, you agree that you are doing so voluntarily and at your own risk. Death Valley is a National Park so you if you wish to operate a vehicle within the Park boundaries, it must be fully street legal and DOT compliant. Individuals who chose to operate vehicles in the Park must remain on legal, open and designated trails at all times and are required to obey traffic/safety laws at all times. Prepare for inclement weather and understand that you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well being.

If you are interested in this ride, post up in this thread! You have time to plan your trip!

Are you camping or Hoteling? I am really thinking of going, I would be taking my big bike. Are you going to ride up or trailer up? I would be interested in ridding up if someone wanted to join. I can also truck up too. I have never been on this trip but have heard a lot of good things about DV. I would say I am 100% in unless I get called into work. Let me know of others that have committed because of ridding up with someone or pooling up with someone. Thank you.

Definitely interested, already planning to be up there that weekend for Daniel's birthday.

Definitely interested, already planning to be up there that weekend for Daniel's birthday.

Haha yeah we were just talking about going on this weekend yesterday. Interested as well.

I actually have the group site on the 5th as well. I'm planning on arriving around noon on the 5th and doing a little riding. Everyone is welcome to camp in the group site, they will allow as many tents as you can fit but only 10 cars on the outside perimeter. Extra cars are $5 per night. The showers and restrooms are relatively nice. The group site does have power for charging your electronics. There is no landline or cell phone service at Panamint.

If you haven't been, It's better than you've heard.

Interested as well. Never been and this would be an awesome trip for a new dualsport rider to get out and ride. I already have that week off from work it just happened to work out that way. Would have to figure out ride arrangements out there and back though as riding my drz400 out there is not an option.

Edit: might be riding the drz out there after all

Very interested. Wife says "no problem provided my will is in order". Will also be looking for ride sharing for the DR and me.

Woa, lot's of interest - fantastic!

Daniel, when is your bday? Winty, how many people in your crew are heading up?

If possible, try to book tent cabin and RV sites near the northeast corner of PSR close to the Group Site (hard to see but it's labeled here in orange). The Group Site that CableJockey got can fit many campers so start calling dibs! It's more fun to have the group together and the Group Site will house the campfire!

PSR-Map-with-grid-2-650w.jpg

Woa, lot's of interest - fantastic!

Daniel, when is your bday? Winty, how many people in your crew are heading up?

If possible, try to book tent cabin and RV sites near the southeast corner of PSR close to the Group Site. The Group Site that CableJockey got can fit many campers so start calling dibs! It's more fun to have the group together and the Group Site will house the campfire!

My birthday is the 6th of March. It looks like we'll have a few extra people that might not lurk here.

Four of us so far with a few additional maybes. My love of hookups dictates where I sleep but am happy to walk over to the fire.

Right on Daniel - two other active SDAR guys and I share a birthday a few days after yours. Reason to celebrate and splurge on the tent cabin for sure!

Winty, look for the giant burning man…

For those tent campers… CableJockey is the man and is offering the Group Site! Very cool

I actually have the group site on the 5th as well. I'm planning on arriving around noon on the 5th and doing a little riding. Everyone is welcome to camp in the group site, they will allow as many tents as you can fit but only 10 cars on the outside perimeter. Extra cars are $5 per night. The showers and restrooms are relatively nice. The group site does have power for charging your electronics. There is no landline or cell phone service at Panamint.

If you haven't been, It's better than you've heard.

It sounds like there may be some Big Bikes riding up, feel free to coordinate that on this thread or via PM between you guys. For those riding up, the Tent Cabins are a nice option (better value than the hotel imho after hearing about it) in that you don't have to haul up a tent. You can also use the Group Site too.

Does anybody have questions on ride ideas / loop options?

Agreed on the tent cabins vs motel. Bed was comfortable and the space heater kept things warm, but the walls are paper thin and the hot water was intermittent. Def not worth the $$$ IMO.

I would really like to go on this ride but I am not sure if it`s in the cards. I`ll know as the date gets closer. I wouldn`t mind car pooling if someone has extra space.

i'm putting tracks together to ride a combination pavement/dirt to get there on thursday. my route would leave encinitas, secondary roads to 29 palms. amboy rd to kelbaker rd to the town of baker. north from there to bad water rd and taking bad water to furnace creek, then west to psr. i don't want to flog my bike on the freeway and would love to make getting there part of the adventure, but i'm not sure if the milage (470) is reasonable to do in a day? has anyone here firsthand experience? i'm on a 640 adv and would appreciate any and all insights.

regards,

johnnyg

i'm putting tracks together to ride a combination pavement/dirt to get there on thursday. my route would leave encinitas, secondary roads to 29 palms. amboy rd to kelbaker rd to the town of baker. north from there to bad water rd and taking bad water to furnace creek, then west to psr. i don't want to flog my bike on the freeway and would love to make getting there part of the adventure, but i'm not sure if the milage (470) is reasonable to do in a day? has anyone here firsthand experience? i'm on a 640 adv and would appreciate any and all insights.

regards,

johnnyg

Awesome! I love wild rides!

I've done 500+ mile days with a strong emphasis on off-road but that's a butt kicker (especially if you're going to ride the next 2-3 days in DV!). 470miles / 40mph average = 11.75 hours. 470miles / 30 mph average = 15.67 hours.

That being said, I wanted to ride there too in January but other priorities came up. Your route takes you east of Ft Irwin into Baker, Furnace Creek then PSR. imho I would prefer to stay west of Ft Irwin and parallel the 395. There look to be lots of large powerline fast dirt roads that run north/south just east of the 395. This option should cut down on the extra miles you might encounter going so far east. From Ridgecrest, you can bail off the 395 and take the 178 through Trona towards PSR. Just a thought..

regards,

johnnyg

Awesome! I love wild rides!

I've done 500+ mile days with a strong emphasis on off-road but that's a butt kicker (especially if you're going to ride the next 2-3 days in DV!). 470miles / 40mph average = 11.75 hours. 470miles / 30 mph average = 15.67 hours.

That being said, I wanted to ride there too in January but other priorities came up. Your route takes you east of Ft Irwin into Baker, Furnace Creek then PSR. imho I would prefer to stay west of Ft Irwin and parallel the 395. There look to be lots of large powerline fast dirt roads that run north/south just east of the 395. This option should cut down on the extra miles you might encounter going so far east. From Ridgecrest, you can bail off the 395 and take the 178 through Trona towards PSR. Just a thought..

Hey guys - we just did Big Bear to DV, so I have some tracks virtually all dirt to get you there.

Ride report here......http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19168-southwest-desert-tour/

This was a 905 mile loop for us, one of the best dual sport rides I've ever been on. All of us on small bikes too.