mtnmanseth

Recommend F-150/exhaust mechanic?

The vehicle with four wheels pictured on the right is my other baby - a 2006 Ford F-150 FX4 with the 5.4 liter 3v motor, 114k miles. Said vehicle has a cracked/warped passenger side exhaust manifold, which has been driving me f#&kin' :crazy: for about a year now. I've Googled the hell out of the problem, and it's common with this series of Ford vehicles with this engine. Normally I'd fix it myself, but the problem is... it's a B-I-G repair job. The motor needs to be lifted a few inches off the frame to remove and replace the manifold, and the 8 studs holding it onto the block typically rot out and most guys say 3 or 4 of them break during manifold removal, which requires them being drilled or Easy-Out'ed out.

Anyhow, WHO WANTS TO HELP ME WITH THIS JOB? :heh: I will pay well (seriously), and I'm a decent wrench and want to help.

Okay, seriously (and more likely), who's got an exhaust shop or very solid light truck mechanic they know well anywhere in San Diego county? I'd prefer a shop that's done this job before. I'll try Encinitas Ford if I don't hear back...

Thank you

IMAG2160_zpsace0a594.jpg

I always enjoy a good garage project. If you decide to do it right (yourself) I'll come lend a hand.

I was in to help until you said broken exhaust studs requiring drilling and "easy" outs. Wait until one of those brittle SOB's breaks off, then you can invent some new words.

I am dumb enough to do it myself, you're probably just as dumb as I am. :) Do it!

Rose automotive in El Cajon are good friends of mine and an honest shop, I'm sure they can handle it.

WINTER GARDEN SMOG AND TUNE LAKESIDE, Ask for MIke or Justin. Damn good fellas out that way

WINTER GARDEN SMOG AND TUNE LAKESIDE, Ask for MIke or Justin. Damn good fellas out that way

I only got my truck smogged there, but they were great... I would trust them with more (and they busted my balls for tire pressure and oil quantity... I like a mechanic that can tell me I'm stooped... unless your name is Tom; then, I don't want to hear it)

This is awesome, thanks guys! Trust me, Pasta/Winty, I'd far prefer do it right (myself), but unless anyone offered up a nice work space (envisioning a two-story shop with hydraulic lift, checkerboard tile floor, stocked kegerator and sandwich bar, bikini models passing me wrenches, college football on the big screen - is this too much to ask? HAHA!) this job is just too big to do on my back/jammed in a wheel well in a driveway. I have some phone calls to make tomorrow morning; thanks again!

Marlon at wtb muffler gets my vote. He's a stud. When I was doing m5 stuff people would drive from LA for his work.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wtb-mufflers-poway

X2 for Marlon at WTB, he did my dual exhaust on my new RAM 2500.

To close the loop on this, I picked up my truck from WTB Mufflers in Poway last night. Marlon was great to work with and let me bring in my own parts (saved big $$$ over dealer prices). They had specialized tools and didn't need to jack the motor off the frame, and they DIDN'T BREAK ANY STUDS during removal! Truck sounds crisp and healthy again. Thanks Vacman and DustOff for the recommendation! I did call Ed Hanson's first, but they declined the work for some reason.