Lost Coyotes is hosting the Lost in the Woods III enduro on Jan 18th. I just signed up. This is a qualifier and first round of the WestChec series.

The race is being held outside Santa Clarita at Rowher Flats OHV.

2015_lostcoyotes.jpg

Cool, only 2.5 hours away (+/- 5 hours to get through LA)... is it really "in the woods" i.e. amongst the evergreens? I REALLY miss riding in the woods/trees. Have you done this Pasta? Any beta on the terrain, difficulty, competitiveness?

Interested in this Blake, Rob, Ty, Christoph, Spaugh, Rigguh?

I've never ever raced before... would I be a beginner and ride Loop 1 38 miles?

Seth to be fair you could sign as a beginner as a first time racer .....however you are certainly no beginner.

Here is the WestChec class breakdown, I don't think any of the above named crew are any class C riders. B/INT is a very competitive group and gets you the all loop ticket, that was always my choice, sign up for the full course class. Seth all the prep to do one loop.....nah step up and do all loops its much more satisfying, we don't get paid to do this just get the most for your money .

1. Overall - Pro/A
2. 86-200cc - A
3. 201-250cc - A
4. 251-Up - A
5. 30+ - A
6. 40+ - A
7. 50+ - A
8. 60+ - A/B
9. Women - A
10. 86-200cc - B
11. 201-250cc - B
12. 251-Up - B
13. 30+ - B
14. 40+ - B
15. 50+ - B
16. Women - B
17. 86-200cc - C
18. 201-250cc - C
19. 251-Up - C
20. 30+ - C
21. 40+ - C
22. 50+ - C
23. Women - C

Mangler,

I entered online this morning. I kept all the same info from the race I did in Anza. That put me in Vet B Heavyweight. Were you talking about the Wickenburg race on the 25th? If so I wanted to do that one also.

As of now, I'm looking to drive up to Kernville on Friday night. Ride the Kern Canyon/River trail on Saturday and then head back toward Santa Clarita afterwards. I was planning to get out of town that weekend for a three day ride and really want to ride the Kern Canyon trail again. Any are welcome to join me for the Friday and Saturday portion. It is an epic trail with spectacular views. Will be about 60 miles of singletrack and 2 miles of other on Saturday.

Mangler,

I entered online this morning. I kept all the same info from the race I did in Anza. That put me in Vet B Heavyweight. Were you talking about the Wickenburg race on the 25th? If so I wanted to do that one also.

As of now, I'm looking to drive up to Kernville on Friday night. Ride the Kern Canyon/River trail on Saturday and then head back toward Santa Clarita afterwards. I was planning to get out of town that weekend for a three day ride and really want to ride the Kern Canyon trail again. Any are welcome to join me for the Friday and Saturday portion. It is an epic trail with spectacular views. Will be about 60 miles of singletrack and 2 miles of other on Saturday.

Ok.. Now i am VERY interested! Been wanting to ride up in that area! Let me check some things on my schedule.

Looks like we would be in the same class for the Lost in the Woods Race.

This is the one i was thinking about: http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/calendar/2015/jan/2015_dmc.jpg

I've never ever raced before... would I be a beginner and ride Loop 1 38 miles?

I would suggest signing up as a novice so you can do the second loop. I'm sure you'd be fine. I've only done one enduro before and I did both loops (barely!). I watched a video of a previous year and it looks very similar to some Pine Valley beginner/intermediate trails, nothing real difficult.

I'm pretty sure I'll be riding this event as well so maybe I'll see you there!

Someone here did it last year and may have posted video. It did look like quad type trails mostly but there was some cliffside singletracks. If it were closer I would be in. Doesnt look like Anza is on the list this year :(

This is the one I was thinking about.

fastr_2015_race_flyer_r1_20151223%205-pa

I did this race in 2011 and wasn't too impressed and said I wouldn't do it again, in fact I didn't bother doing the 2nd day and drove home instead.

Not much singletrack, more fast hardpack/rocky and whooped out trails and too many cactus plus very dusty. There were a few easy / hard splits on later loops where hard options were fun but overall not that great IMO. But might have been improved since then and some rain would make quite a difference.

Cool, only 2.5 hours away (+/- 5 hours to get through LA)... is it really "in the woods" i.e. amongst the evergreens? I REALLY miss riding in the woods/trees. Have you done this Pasta? Any beta on the terrain, difficulty, competitiveness?

Interested in this Blake, Rob, Ty, Christoph, Spaugh, Rigguh?

I've never ever raced before... would I be a beginner and ride Loop 1 38 mile

Interested... yes. Can I swing it with out my wife killing me.... no. Fast approaching my quota of silver bullets for extended periods of riding time.

mangler that NHHA is badass, Ive done round 1 before the DMC event as well as a bunch of others the Nats are no pansy open dez races (I have been beat down doing them but to this day still maintain a zero dnf rate in NHHA events over the years all on italian Huskys- thats gotta be a record in itself), sorry for the enduro hijack jon.

but im telling you you want a real challenge do some NHHA ( Nat H&H races), some real ugly terrain challenges especially up in the D37 zone-hardcore stuff.

wickenberg is some badass dez stuff as well, I DNF the Nat enduro there due to a quit after 2 loops and getting heat sick from a stupid 90+ temp heat wave that ruined my day for sure. dizzy and heat sick was not a good place to be when heading into the 3rd and most technical loop. (the infamous wickenberg waterfall loop) again sorry for hijack Jon!! Jon you should have done Tecate!!!

Additional I am firm supporter of the WestChec enduros they are always well managed by Erek Kudla and his crew along with the various sponsor clubs.

mangler that NHHA is badass, Ive done round 1 before the DMC event as well as a bunch of others the Nats are no pansy open dez races (I have been beat down doing them but to this day still maintain a zero dnf rate in NHHA events over the years all on italian Huskys- thats gotta be a record in itself), sorry for the enduro hijack jon.

but im telling you you want a real challenge do some NHHA ( Nat H&H races), some real ugly terrain challenges especially up in the D37 zone-hardcore stuff.

That is exactly what i am looking for. Back home i raced NETRA from 94-99 on a XR250 and a KDX 200. Missed the harder terrain! I used to be decent, now i just hang on for dear life and try to finish.

It is looking pretty good like I am in for this. If someone wants to split a hotel room Saturday Night, let me know.

Just a few more days away. Looking for an update on who's in for the Kern Canyon Trail ride on saturday?

Mangler? Matt? Seth

I'll start a PM chain to organize logistics.

Just a few more days away. Looking for an update on who's in for the Kern Canyon Trail ride on saturday?

Mangler? Matt? Seth

I'll start a PM chain to organize logistics.

I'm out for this one. Focusing on the National on Jan 25th at Johnson Valley. Have fun and kick ass!

If things go good, I will be coming up Saturday afternoon. If not so good, Sunday morning.

PMs being prepped for PastaPilot and Seth, if someone else is going, speak up.

The rain from the previous weekend helped, but areas that got a lot of sun exposure were still dusty. Trails in the shade were pretty good. 6 tests total, a lot of trail on the side of the hills with a serious penalty for going over the side. Fortunately, I only went over once, and it probably only cost me 15 seconds. One of the tests was a lot of high speed ridge top road, where I focused on not crashing. They had back to back tests right out of gas, the first of which had a lot of grass track style. If they had some rain in the week before, this one would have been epic.

I think the area is one where you have to be creative to link the tests together, so there were a lot of trails and roads we saw 2-4 times. I have the impression that enduros in Europe are like this, especially on the local level. There wasn't anything terribly difficult, but there was one short downhill test that got a little hairy trying to go fast.

Since logistics with me is always challenging, I never did connect with Jon and Seth. I see that Jon set an unbelievably fast time in the first test, and led the event overall after the first loop. I am currently listed in 27th, I am probably going to end up about there.

I didn't crash all day and drove myself home. A good day of riding.

Thanks Matt, like!! Jean Berges the new French enduro star??? check in Pasta Pilot!! That Jarvis school lit a fuze it seems!!

no race for me but did an epic tecate trail (again) close to 60 miles of 95% single track under perfect conditions. Glad you had a good safe ride. Link to results?? I did not see any over at Westchec