Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Graham Jarvis School

Woo Hoo 2 morrow 26DEC2014, I know at least 1 other SDAR frequent rider/poster will be as well!! See ya there PastaPilot!!

What a great day of training. I learned I have a LOT of low speed finesse and control work to do.

The first half of the day was doing various skill building work to develop clutch, throttle and brake control. It started with full steering lock figure-8s, using all the controls of the bike to maintain a slow and controlled speed. After that we moved to S-turns on an embankment. Taking what we just did up a notch while maneuvering and maintaining control and traction while climbing, descending and turning on a hill.

After mastering that, we worked on various wheelie techniques. Lifting the front tire to clear obstacles like rocks and logs and then moved on to the EnduroX course to play on tires and rock gardens.

From there it went to hill climbs, long, loose and very rocky hills.

Most of us sucked at everything, While Graham scooted right up. :upsidedown:

The only thing I didn't get better at with practice was the nose wheelies/stoppies. I was pretty thrashed by that point, but took mental notes for future skill work days.

At the very end of the day the group of 14 was whiddled down to about 7 and Graham took us into the bottom of a ravine. He would demo the ascent and we'd all crash or barely make it. After about a dozen failed attempts, I got another demo from the master and realized that an entire day of going slow and finessing the bike had me forgetting to be aggressive. So I tried again with some vigor and died out about 3/4 of the way up. That time I brought the heat, but didn't bring the finesse. One more attempt and it was all there. I then spent the next 20-30 mins chasing Graham Jarvis around this ravine, picking lines, scaling the walls, while everyone at the top looked on in amazement. It was the best feeling ever and an honor I'll hold on tightly to for a long time.

16068_10204757788918911_5780650542573623

BIG thanks to robertaccio for the passing along the invitation email. Good to see SDlineman out there giving it a go.

Now who wants to practice those figure 8s and wheelie turns?

Jon that was a fantastic day. Happy you stepped up at the end to conquer those short chute loose stuff climbs. We all had a ball.

Congrats to all you finesse and heat gents. Jon = Controlled Fire! :dance2:

Chilly did a good job of not making us look like complete tools for his published page.

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

There are a few crash photos up there, we all were looking pretty good (at the beginning).

DSC_0160.jpg

I look great in that foto just powering up the groove.......but what it doesn't show ...about ten feet further I was layed down on my side with my front wheel near the top and my rear deep into the dirt stuck!!! haha

Jon got the best of that chute and attacked it like a cannon shot and prevailed brilliantly.

http://www.gforcejarvis.net/

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/12/27/featured/graham-jarvis-school-photos/

Mr. Chilly has a Photo Report up on his site. There are good pictures of guys throwing a White Yamaha and Husky around.

:ohno02::ohno02:

Bags add "around" behind the Yamaha and substitute the "around" for "down" after the Husky!!!

Dai Jones- Great news Chilly already has asked for suggestions for another local Graham School--Round 2 here we come!!

More photos from our most excellent adventure with Graham G-Force Jarvis

http://enduro360.smugmug.com/Other/SD-Jarvis-School/46585420_cTLJ7c#!i=3786843519&k=35WZ3VG

Where was this hosted?

I did a similar two day course with Shane Watts a couple of years back. It was up in Victorville and all we had to work with were some flat sand open spaces and a few rocky hill climbs. And plenty of dust!! The set up you guys had is infinitely more awesome!

I'd be in for the next Jarvis school visit to San Diego for sure! It's really amazing the skills and confidence gains you get out of one day with this caliber of rider!

Glad you guys had an awesome experience!

SDAR's Keep a watch of and support Chilly's Enduro360 website.

The 2 local Graham schools (San Diego and Hesperia) were posted on arranged by and presented by Enduro360.com