Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Jan 9-12, 2015

January 9-12, 2015

You're invited! I will be camping in Death Valley in early January.

Death Valley is a great National Park with pristine scenery and expansive wilderness. It is a sight to see and enjoy. In terms of moto offerings, DV is n00b friendly, big bikeable and family friendly fun. Smaller bikes will enjoy big miles across scenic terrain just like the bigger bikes do. There are only a few technical sections in DV but the riding is not to be missed no matter what bike you're on. Bolt up your big gas tanks, slap a rotopax (or 2) on your bike and bring along some milk jugs because you can put in some seriously big mileage days exploring the great things DV has to offer. I've been to DV a few times on my DRZ with dirt gearing and have had a ton of fun both times. There is so much to see and explore in and around the park. This year I will be again taking a small bike.

Tracks are readily available so you can ride with your crew whenever/however you want. Guys who want to ride up - awesome! Post up and somebody trucking will probably help carry your camping gear.

Bring firewood and bbq your hearts out!

Feel free to read last year's planning thread: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17198-death-valley-spring-march-7-9-2014/

And subsequent Ride Report http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17667-sdar-goes-to-death-valley-march-2014/

Disclaimer: This is not an organized rally. This is not an organized ride. This is not an official SDAR event. You hereby agree that Goofy Footer is not liable for anything. Your attendance is voluntary. If you so choose to bring your street legal motorcycle or vehicle to the aforementioned campout, you agree that you are doing so voluntarily and at your own risk. Death Valley is a National Park so you if you wish to operate a vehicle within the Park boundaries, it must be fully street legal and DOT compliant. Individuals who chose to operate vehicles in the Park must remain on legal, open and designated trails at all times and are required to obey traffic/safety laws at all times. Prepare for inclement weather and understand that you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well being.

I want to camp on the west side of the national park at Panamint Springs Resort as access to dirt is quicker from PSR and many great loops can be launched from camp. There is gas and a restaurant across the street and showers and other amenities are available. PSR offers lodging and camping options. Bring your toy hauler, rv or tent because its best to enjoy a few days in the park as it's a drive up there. Book your own accommodations.

Panamint Springs Resort: http://www.panamintsprings.com/

PSR-Logo-300w.pngPSR-Map-with-grid-2-650w.jpg

Lodging

motel.jpg

Room Types — 14 Rooms and 1 Cottage:

• 1 Queen Bed – $79.00 – $99.00 per night
    • 1 King Bed – $84.00 – $104.00 per night
    • 2 Beds (1 Queen & 1 Double) – $94.00 – $114.00 per night
    • 3 Beds (1 Queen & 2 Doubles) – $109.00 – $ 129.00 per night
    • 2 Bedroom Cottage (1 Queen, 1 Bunk Bed with a double on bottom and a single on top) – $149.00 – $169.00 per night
Camping & RV

Tent-2.jpg

Small Tent Cabins with 2 cots: $35.00 per night (except in high season…see below). Sleeps 2 people comfortably & up to 3 people maximum. Tent cabins have 2 cots setup inside (bedding not included). Can fit

up to one additional cot for $5.00 extra, but it will be very tight!

Large Tent Cabins with 4 cots: $50.00 per night (except in high season…see below). Sleeps 4 people comfortably & up to 5 people maximum. These large tent cabins have 4 cots setup inside (bedding not included). Can fit up to one additional cot for $5 extra.

26 Tent Sites: $10.00 per night for up to 5 people
Tent sites allow for one tent and one vehicle. If you need space for more tents or extra vehicles you will need to rent additional sites. All sites have fire pits and most sites have picnic tables. Picnic tables not guaranteed.

12 Full-hookup Sites (30 and 50 amp): $35.00 per night

Electricity, water, and sewer hookup for each site. All sites have fire pits and picnic tables
***Be advised: Our electricity is produced by a diesel generator and the power is not as clean as line power. Some new RVs may have issues with our electricity.

25 Dry Sites (no hookups): $20.00 per night
No hookups. All sites have fire pits and some have picnic tables. Picnic tables not guaranteed.

Group Camp Site: $55.00 per night for up to 30 people Great site for large groups such as scout troops, student groups, motorcycle and off road groups. Site has a small stage with power for a P/A system, a large fire pit and picnic tables. Site is 80′ x 35′. Parking is limited to 7 vehicles. Arrangements may be made for additional vehicles for an additional $5 per vehicle. We do not have a limit for the number of tents, as long as they are contained within the site.

Showers are included with the site fee for all campsites and tent cabins. They are located in the restroom facilities and do not require coins to operate. Showers are available without a campsite as well. Please inquire at the general store.

Here is a video of a ride I did with bboyle9 in 2012

Map of the National Park here: http://www.nationalparked.com/US/Death_Valley/images/maps/death_camp_01L.jpg

death_camp_01L.jpg

Ken, Cut Lose, Go ahead just cut loose!

What is this we hear of a new moto?

Decided I'm out. As much as I wanted to go, my son is in town so I should spend time with him....maybe take him to the track. Have fun everyone!

In.

Looking at a rack and a 1 gallon rotopax to further my 3 gallon tank range on the Husky.

Awesome! Rotopax on a rear rack is a great option. Wintyfresh used some hose clamps and the rotopax mounting plate to secure his gas can to the rear rack. It was a nice looking setup, maybe pm him for a pic or if he sees this thread AHEM... maybe he'd be so kind to post a pic??

Decided I'm out. As much as I wanted to go, my son is in town so I should spend time with him....maybe take him to the track. Have fun everyone!

I can't think of any better father/son bonding time than him on the DR350 towing your broken British bike back to camp!

Well... maybe him push jumpstarting it every 15 minutes :torch:

You BOTH are welcome to join but I know he does like riding moto. Have fun at the track (maybe take the new bike too?)

In.

Looking at a rack and a 1 gallon rotopax to further my 3 gallon tank range on the Husky.

Awesome! Rotopax on a rear rack is a great option. Wintyfresh used some hose clamps and the rotopax mounting plate to secure his gas can to the rear rack. It was a nice looking setup, maybe pm him for a pic or if he sees this thread AHEM... maybe he'd be so kind to post a pic??

Picked up a full setup, rack and rotopax w/mount from Nomadic in Santee. All set!

I can't think of any better father/son bonding time than him on the DR350 towing your broken British bike back to camp!

Well... maybe him push jumpstarting it every 15 minutes :torch:

You BOTH are welcome to join but I know he does like riding moto. Have fun at the track (maybe take the new bike too?)

Hey, the BritBike only needs a push start if I shut it off! I can just keep it running, do refueling like the USN does and keep moving until the end of the day.

As for taking the new bike to the track, I need to talk Mrs. Mo into letting me bring it. She seems sort of attached to it already.