Krs1

1990 dr 350s suddenly running like sh*t (need help)

so here is the story, i went riding at my local spot. Everything went great came home went to work for three days got on the bike started no problem pulled out of the driveway and its hesitating on the throttle at low rpm's. im baffled cuz its been running so good and all of a sudden this happens. i have owned the bike for 6 months with no issues. as far as i know its a stock carb and petcocks. my plan is pull the carb, plug, and fuel filter. i would like to do air box mod but no idea what jets to put in it and if thats all i have to do. am i on the right track or is there a bigger problem here that i dont see????? thanks for reading and all info helps tremendously!!!!!

Sounds like what I would do. Drain the fuel tank in case you got water or debris in the tank somehow. Pull the carb, clean it really well and inspect everything. Don't worry about doing airbox or jets at this time, you want to solve the running issue first and then move onto modifications. While you have the tank and carb off, check the valve clearances just for the heck of it.

PM me if you need any assistance.

Update, I I ripped it apart cleaned fuel filters (not to dirty at all) cleaned carb (really clean too) new plug checked valves didn't need adjustment and slapped it all back together. Runs like new and way less noise while decelerating. Why is this? Anyway it runs great and no idea what was wrong with it lol. The good news I'm back in buisness!!!

Also good news, you know how to check your valves now and you know they are in spec.

Hmmm, valves thanks for the reminder. I should check mine. On the why is this part, it is very possible you had a little bit of debris in the carb, all it take is one tiny piece to make it run bad and when you took it apart it may be gone now. I'm glad to hear it's running good, oh and tntmo...he's the DR master !!

I've just owned quite a few of them so I'm familiar with the DR350. If anyone gets into a jam and needs real DR350 help, look up Jesse from kientech.com That guy is the true DR guru. Make sure you're comfortable when you call, because he will talk your ear off.

Hmmm, valves thanks for the reminder. I should check mine. On the why is this part, it is very possible you had a little bit of debris in the carb, all it take is one tiny piece to make it run bad and when you took it apart it may be gone now. I'm glad to hear it's running good, oh and tntmo...he's the DR master !!

baiter

I'm pretty sure the valves are in spec lol taking it apart is the easy part! Never checking them before I was shooting from the hip wit the specs from manual and online guidance. It's kinda tough to feel. For mine the lower spec slipped though pretty easy and high spec was pretty tight. The feeler guage in the middle felt right in between if that makes sence to anyone reading. Hope that's right otherwise I'm in trouble lol??

Sounds like you're on the money with it. Glad that you had the confidence to give it a go, the DR is pretty easy to work on so keep at it and you will be saving money by not having to take it in for simple maintenance.

Yeah I dig it. Instant gratification when it runs like ---- then put forth the effort to tear it apart then runs great afterwards. Thanks for all the suppoet

You've got my contact info, hit me up if you need anything. Merry Christmas!