DesmoStucky

Otay Tracks Request

I took two friends down to Otay this morning only to find locked gates and private property signs. We first tried to park the trucks right next to the power plant, but saw the private property signs. We went North about a mile to where the truck trail exits, but were met by a locked gate. We asked some border patrol if they knew where the public entrance is, but they weren't much help. I know there are public trails down there, but I just can't find them! Could anyone help by providing some GPS tracks of the area? How does one ensure they stay on the public trails? Any help is appreciated!

Mike

Hmmm. That can be tricky, but there are at least 2 or 3 good entrances...even near the exit (as you mentioned).

Some of our recent RRs show photos and descriptions of the entry/exit points.

Sounds like you were close.

As a side note, I'm fairly certain someone installed a bike/horse entrance at the large oil gate, just as you begin to descend the decline toward the detention facilities. That entrance is marked by a concrete driveway.

the best suggestion I can give is to go park by Pio Pico thousand trails park... go up the dirt road on the West side of the small store. Not sure of the details about plates/non plated, but I've seen quads and other vehicles tooling around up there... don't get lost, and watch the mirrors for opposing traffic

Thanks for the tip; that is exactly what we ended up doing. We're all plated, and picked the trail up to the right of Pio Pico convenience store. It was a good ride out there, but we did encounter another locked gate on the way back which forced us to just take the 94 back to the trucks. Thanks!

Look up the last Sunday ride starting point. its only in the valley but with enough challenges, water crossings, hill clime to drop the bike.

Let me see if i can copy this.

I know the north/east/south side of that mtn very well. I usually park at the south bay gun club outside of Dulzura. Been parking there for years with no issue. The BLM ranger Joe is a cool dude too.. All open roads are OK for appropriately stickered /or plated bikes. PM me if you need any more notes. I have gps tracks....somewhere

Me and the Kug with another guy came up to that locked gate (before I had the key) and still found an easy way around, behind the power plant.

What you've gotta be careful of, is locked gates along the main trails. The BP guys go in and leave them open. Later, when they exit, they shut and lock them. That would cause you a little grief and a detour.

But all doable...

Definitely watch for oncoming traffic! In recent years I have almost become a hood ornament on border patrol vehicles twice up there, both times on the side that comes down by the power plant. Those big four wheel drives take that road pretty quick.

Another time, just a few weeks ago, I did a quick Sunday morning solo ride up from the Pio Pico entrance. It was just about half way up, in the middle of a not so sharp left hand turn when I was met head on by a guy on a quad, coming down, and going pretty fast. We saw each other in enough time to react. He hit his brakes and skidded a bit as we passed. I stopped and turned to look back because I thought maybe he didn't make the turn. I even turned around and went back to look over the edge. I didn't see any skid marks or anyone over the side, so I continued up to the top where I took a little break and then came back down the same way. On my way down I passed a tow truck making his way up the hill. I did not see anybody else up there that morning so maybe the quad did go off the side and I never saw him. If it was him, he was apparently OK enough to call a tow truck, and not an ambulance.