Strega

Do you own a DeLorme inReach? I need your help

Working on adding the Delorme inReach to my WhereAmIRiding.com site.

I need someone with a working inReach to do some testing. (I'd rather not buy one just for testing)

Thanks!

I need someone with a working inReach to do some testing. (I'd rather not buy one just for testing)

Thanks!

VDog (Vaudois) has one.....

Thanks!

VDog (Vaudois) has one.....

He "showed it off" to us at Bullhead and Wickedburg...pretty cool gadget! :smile_anim:

Just bought one. Probably not much help as I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.

PbdBlue - how do you like the InReach? Can you upload other people's GPS tracks to it?

It looks like an incredible unit, but just wondering your experience so far?

I'll also send you a PM.

Got one, used it last weekend in Baja, very happy with it. Let me know what you need.

Did you receive texts, Rich?

Thanks this will help with expanding the types of devices that can be used with my tracking site.

I've only had mine a few weeks. Sent a couple of test texts and all came through very quickly. Much more quickly than with the Spot. I have not had a chance to test out the receiving aspect but that's next on my agenda now that the holiday mayhem is behind us.

Rich, I've heard great things about the texting ability of the InReach. I'm trying to find one unit to serve as both my GPS and SOS comms, but I've heard the InReach really doesn't have a very good GPS function (uploading/downloading gpx files and then following a map on the actual device).

What are your thoughts on using this device as your primary GPS unit AND your emergency comms?

- Troy

Rich, I've heard great things about the texting ability of the InReach. I'm trying to find one unit to serve as both my GPS and SOS comms, but I've heard the InReach really doesn't have a very good GPS function (uploading/downloading gpx files and then following a map on the actual device).

What are your thoughts on using this device as your primary GPS unit AND your emergency comms?

- Troy

I just fired up the unit and I don't see an option to display a map. I have the InReach SE. I think the other flavor may have a map. I was able to download and import maps into the iPhone app and the InReach will display my location on the app.

Basically, the app lets you use the phone to take the place of / be used as a good screen and keyboard for the InReach, if that makes sense.

This video is a little slow going but it gives an in depth explanation of how to input waypoints to then track with your InReach.

The video seems to describe the ability to at least find yourself on a map with the InReach.

I don't own one and I've never played around with it but here's what I'm thinking:

1. It's primary use is a 2 way SAT texting device, and it does a bitchin job at that. Probably worth it's weight in gold right there.

2. It allows you to input pre-conceived / planned waypoints and then recognizes when you hit those waypoints (so you can text loved ones).

3. It records your GPS track, but doesn't display your position on a map too well. However, it will allow you to upload and share that GPS track.

So, what I'm thinking is once the network of InReach users gets big enough we can all start sharing GPS tracks to then create waypoints which could then also serve as a general GPS guidance ... still leaving enough of the adventure into the trip w/out "foot by foot" instructions, yet allowing users a little bit of guidance and of course if ---- really hits the fan ... well, just text somebody.

Also, one other feature which i kind of like is that it pairs with your smartphone. Here's one comment on the video from a DeLorme rep:

In order to see your position, routes and waypoints on a topographic map when you're off the grid, you need to pair your inReach with a smartphone or tablet through our free Earthmate app via Bluetooth. On your mobile device you can download DeLorme's topographic map data and U.S. NOAA charts, but at this time you don't have access to these maps on the inReach itself. The map screen on your inReach is a grid map. Please visit http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php for more information.

So i wonder if you're out of cell coverage and you pair the InReach to your smartphone if you'll still get the topo map, and if so what mapping application it uses - maybe google maps?

I think this little device could be worth it's weight in gold.

So i wonder if you're out of cell coverage and you pair the InReach to your smartphone if you'll still get the topo map, and if so what mapping application it uses - maybe google maps?

I don't think there is any data service via the satellite connection. Only through wifi or cell via the paired smart phone. The screen on the Delorme isn't that great and is pretty small so I think as a primary navigation tool it may come up a bit short of your expectations. Also it is limited on it's routing and track capabilities. If your are going to pair it with a smart phone anyway you would probably be better off running one of the stand alone phone apps like OsmAnd though I would have concerns about a smart phone surviving if your are doing serious offroad exploring. For casual dual sporting it would work ok.

Also, one other feature which i kind of like is that it pairs with your smartphone. Here's one comment on the video from a DeLorme rep:

In order to see your position, routes and waypoints on a topographic map when you're off the grid, you need to pair your inReach with a smartphone or tablet through our free Earthmate app via Bluetooth. On your mobile device you can download DeLorme's topographic map data and U.S. NOAA charts, but at this time you don't have access to these maps on the inReach itself. The map screen on your inReach is a grid map. Please visit http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php for more information.

The topo map is downloaded directly to your iPhone before your trip, ie, it lives on your phone vs streamedinorwhatever via a cell signal. Then when you're in the bush with (1) InReach turned on (2) iPhone turned on and (3) them talking to each other via Bluetooth, you pull up the map in your iphone app and drops your location, via the connection to the IR, onto this map.

The topo map is downloaded directly to your iPhone before your trip, ie, it lives on your phone vs streamedinorwhatever via a cell signal. Then when you're in the bush with (1) InReach turned on (2) iPhone turned on and (3) them talking to each other via Bluetooth, you pull up the map in your iphone app and drops your location, via the connection to the IR, onto this map.

That's a very cool feature. Right now I'm using my phone (Galaxy) mounted via a RAM mount as my GPS unit and tracking routes through an app called 'MapMyRun' but it sucks down battery really, really fast. Most of the time my GPS function will work with Google Maps or MapMyRun without a cell signal but not always. This setup works just fine for casual dual sporting around the county, but its obviously not a solid setup for going deep into the backcountry. The InReach sounds like my ticket, especially with the function to connect to a phone/tablet with pre-loaded topo maps of the region I'm riding in.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Hmmm ... still thinking this through. Stick with me for a second ...

Rather than being a device which is actually viewed, I'm really wondering if the IR isn't specifically designed to be a streaming device ... it streams satellite data & connectivity to your phone/tablet.

• Download topo maps to your phone before you leave so they can be retrieved without a signal
  • Pair the IR with your phone via Bluetooth. IR goes in pack. Phone goes on handlebars via RAM mount.
  • Navigate AND communicate via satellite connectivity with your phone.
  • IR tracks GPS routes so you can still share/upload tracks with other IR or Garmin users

Plus:

• Most phones have better screens than units used solely for gps navigation (the whole point of streaming data)
  • Phone security isn't an issue b/c there are hard core phone protectors like Otter Box & Lifeproof that'll protect it just fine
  • IR has 100 hours battery.
  • Phone can charge from the bike just like a Garmin would, or just put phone in airplane mode b/c IR doesn't need cell connectivity for it all to work.

I dunno. Maybe I'm trying too hard, but it sure seems possible. I might give it a whirl.

I think you are on the right track if that's the path you want to pursue. I have heard that some phones have overheating issues when used continuously in a hard case. Also don't know if you'll get 100 hours from the InReach battery running Bluetooth continuously. Don't really need the InReach to navigate as there are plenty of phone apps that do that. All of this seems like it may get complicated. I had a Spot Connect for a time but sold it. Too much hassle trying to keep the smart phone and the Spot connected, getting it to do what I wanted, etc. Now back to the InReach for emergency comms and a Montana for nav. Montana has a great screen and manages maps, tracks, etc very well and with minimum hassle. Spend more time riding and less time fiddling. Much happier. My .02

"More time riding - less time fiddling"

AGREED!

I already fiddle too much with the gear I have ... neck brace, roost protector, go pro, elbow pads, knee pads, back pack, blah blah blah ... feel like flippin robo cop sometimes. It is nice to have the gear, but its a lot to deal with sometimes.