Sign in to follow this  
HotRod82

50% off spot tracker

If you have been thinking about a new product from spot, now is the time to pull the trigger. There is a 50% off mail - in rebate on all spot products available on their website. I'm going to pick up a new gen 3.

I was ready to pull the trigger but will probably go the Delorme Outreach route which has two way texting and you can turn off the service when not using it.

Thanks for posting about the Spot3.

I too hope to see reasonable costs for two way communication im the future.

I have some thoughts on the Spot Search and Rescue insurance. I'll post them in another thread soon.

I bought the Gen3 recently, along with the insurance... looking forward to reading your thoughts about the insurance product....

wHAT I have learned about the Gen 3 SPOT Tracker

Well, I have been on the fence regarding up-gade to the Gen 3. With the 50% Upgrade coupon, $149 minus $75 = $75 cost.

Pulled the trigger on the Gen 3. For the past week I have been testing the function of the 3.

My concern was that the 3 would Not be much of an improvement. I believe the unit is a significant improvement, if not dramatic.

The buttons have better logic and click on activation. The largest deal is that for your $49 annual fee, the 10 minute Tracker is standard equipment. With the Gen 2, I needed to push the Check-In button for a waypoint report. Also, the Ram Mount works a little easier with the 3. The Check In button also works for the "when you feel like it " report.

Though to sell the 2 but probably give it, and tracking to my daughter who works in rural Montana.

B

wHAT I have learned about the Gen 3 SPOT Tracker

Well, I have been on the fence regarding up-gade to the Gen 3. With the 50% Upgrade coupon, $149 minus $75 = $75 cost.

Pulled the trigger on the Gen 3. For the past week I have been testing the function of the 3.

My concern was that the 3 would Not be much of an improvement. I believe the unit is a significant improvement, if not dramatic.

The buttons have better logic and click on activation. The largest deal is that for your $49 annual fee, the 10 minute Tracker is standard equipment. With the Gen 2, I needed to push the Check-In button for a waypoint report. Also, the Ram Mount works a little easier with the 3. The Check In button also works for the "when you feel like it " report.

Though to sell the 2 but probably give it, and tracking to my daughter who works in rural Montana.

B

So if you already have an active contract with SPOT will they transfer the remaining balance over to the new Spot?

Bagstr, do you mean $149 annual fee? I don't see the need for the 5 or 2.5 minute status updates outside of specific racing requirements.

The 3 does look like a nice unit. Better attachment points to be certain. I'm using a 2 and will likely hold onto it but who knows. Thanks for posting your feedback / report!

Also, imho I prefer to wear the unit on my backpack/person.

--In the event of a violent crash, a rider may be thrown from one's moto and may not be able to reach the bike.

--Also, one crash that can and does happen is that a rider misjudges a turn, rock or rut and loses the moto down a steep cliff. There may be only a small practical chance you can climb down to hit your Spot to get assistance (this crossed my mind many times while riding the hills of Big Bear)

--If a rider goes for a hike off the moto and slips in moto boots (can easily happen) hurting one's knee, I'd rather have the Spot on my camelback than the bike.

--If I am knocked unconscious: a fellow rider may not look at my bike for a Spot device but they will assess my person.

--If I do receive assistance/evacuation: having the Spot on my person may allow family/friends to track my movement to hospital/tow truck.

Seth, I still owe that SAR insurance discussion post. I actually did some additional research today. I'll try and post when I get home.

So if you already have an active contract with SPOT will they transfer the remaining balance over to the new Spot?

This is my understanding yes.

You should be able to change the unit # online and transfer the service to the new device.

This is my understanding yes.

You should be able to change the unit # online and transfer the service to the new device.

And still get the rebate?

One week in, I have $0.00 charged to my account and have the Tracking feature every 10 minutes activated by movement. I used the "Upgrade" tab at the Activate website.

I know, $149 for 2 minute waypoints?? What else ya got?.

No guarantee from me,,, this is what I have at the moment..

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=111

http://www.findmespot.com/en/docs/trace/2014_Holiday_All_Devices_tearsheet_BACK.pdf

It's somewhat hard to read via my phone but Steps 1-4 lead me to believe that when you buy your new Gen3 and activate it by changing your subscription from your previous unit, that would constitute a rebate qualification.

You should receive email notification to a chane in your account when transferring your coverage plan between units. Send this with a copy of your Gen3 purchase to Spot and you'll later receive the rebate.

You must purchase and activate the new unit in the specified time.

ymmv - a quick call to Spot would be provide official confirmation but I think (hope) I'm correct in my understanding

OR SEND IN, the Rebate Coupon from point of purchase.

Yep. But still thinkng I'm going to switch to Delorme Inreach. Basic service on the Gen 3 is $149\yr vs $99\yr for the Gen 2. Inreach is more expensive to buy and the service is a bit pricier but you can activate\deactivate and only pay for the months you use it. Having the ability to get confirmation your message was received as well as two way communication with the family is worth the extra $ for me.

I called the "spot" representative since I received the "free device" upgrade to spot 3 email. Service with tracking is the same at $150.00 per year as basic service with 10 minute update tracking. Same as I have now. According to representative. I would like a motivation to upgrade, but have not seen it yet. Size is very close to each other. Battery longevity is the only feature I am finding.

3 batteries in spot 2 vs 4 batteries in spot 3 plus a feature that turns the device on and off with vibration/movement which saves battery life.

Does that mean without vibration, and with movement only, it remains off?

In your fanny pack, standing up on the bike without vibration? NO TRACKING?

I got the $150 rebate email too. Because I'm a loyal customer. It looks attractive.....but.....there are some negative reviews. Number one is customer service sucks, well I know that. Number two is the covers over the emergency help and sos buttons don't stay closed. The motion activated feature didn't seem to be an issue, even with motorcycle use, and these were street riders. I would think there is enough movement / vibration in dirt riding to keep it alive.

Can any existing users here comment on the negatives of the spot 3?

I got the $150 rebate email too. Because I'm a loyal customer. It looks attractive.....but.....there are some negative reviews. Number one is customer service sucks, well I know that. Number two is the covers over the emergency help and sos buttons don't stay closed. The motion activated feature didn't seem to be an issue, even with motorcycle use, and these were street riders. I would think there is enough movement / vibration in dirt riding to keep it alive.

I have used the Gen3 unit for about 6 months. The Spot website definitely needs work. It was upgraded about 2 months ago, and is a bit better, but isn't quite there. Customer Service I have no experience with.

The actual layout and performance of the hardware has been just fine, though. The button covers seem more than adequate and I can honestly say that 100% of my sent messages (whether the customized "Okay/Check-in" message or the other customized message that only goes to my girlfriend) from the unit have gone through. There is an indicator light that blinks indicating that the message was received by the system, and, so far, it has never failed me. I bet I've sent 30 messages from it and it's record is 30 for 30. The tracking option has worked flawlessly, too, and I've never noticed it shut-off or disable tracking after putting it down for a while to eat lunch or check in at the truck.

I have used the Gen3 unit for about 6 months. The Spot website definitely needs work. It was upgraded about 2 months ago, and is a bit better, but isn't quite there. Customer Service I have no experience with.

The actual layout and performance of the hardware has been just fine, though. The button covers seem more than adequate and I can honestly say that 100% of my sent messages (whether the customized "Okay/Check-in" message or the other customized message that only goes to my girlfriend) from the unit have gone through. There is an indicator light that blinks indicating that the message was received by the system, and, so far, it has never failed me. I bet I've sent 30 messages from it and it's record is 30 for 30. The tracking option has worked flawlessly, too, and I've never noticed it shut-off or disable tracking after putting it down for a while to eat lunch or check in at the truck.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a Gen 3 back when they came out around August 2013. My "Ok" messages seem to go through, but I'm not sure it's 100%. I don't check the tracking feature on the website and just use my gps to know where I went, but I'm assuming it works. My experience with the button covers is different than amgems. I have never had them pop open on accident and they have a little nub that helps it click shut. I could see it wearing out though if you are constantly opening it, but those are the emergency buttons which I haven't had to use yet.

I'm sure the mounting options are good, but I just clip it to my camelbak and it hangs from my shoulder. It comes with a carabiner and strap so you can hang it from just about anywhere.

Lastly, the batteries ran out this September at roughly 25 full riding days of being on. Uses 4 lithium AAA's.

Thanks very much for the information guys !

I'm going to go ahead and get the Gen III. With the $150 rebate, I get a new device for just about zero bucks. I already have the tracking on my Spot II so the service cost will remain the same. Maybe when I become rich and famous I'll spring for the Delorme Inreach. Much nicer than Spot. But for now $0 beats $200.

I think Delorme has raised the bar for these type of (not a plb) devices. Maybe Spot will come out with something like the Inreach. Competition is a good thing for bringing down prices.

A Spot II will be available in the for sale area in a few days.

Yo Seth, check out http://whereamiriding.com/my-profile/userprofile/goofyfooter - it's a website that mimics Spot's page and was developed by SDAR's own Strega.