PbdBlue

Montana Mount - Rev 2

Sure!

I had considered something similar before, but didn't do it. Now that I see yours, I think I'll give it a shot.

I will mount it vertically (correctly!), of course- and I won't use the intermediary plate like you did- I'm not that fancy.

A few observations that I discovered along the way. My first attempt was to use isolation posts directly between the AMPS mount and the base plate. The problem is that the Montana weight extends much farther out and the isolation posts experienced too much flex. Without getting too deep into the physics it is possible with too soft a mount to actually amplify vibration if the mount is in resonance with the frequency of the vibration. Blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is you don't want the isolation to be too soft. I started out with 3\8" diameter mounts and found that they were too soft. The ones I'm using now are 5/8" diameter x 1/2" high. The other consideration is that you want the mounts positioned as far apart as possible to distribute the weight of the gps over a large area which is why I ended up using an adapter plate between the AMPS mount and the isolation posts. Looking forward to seeing your solution....

All your observations sound solid to me.

But as a mechanical bungler, I plan to use four 6mm isolators drilled and tapped into the HDB plate in a pattern matching the cradle in a vertical position. That will require enlarging the holes in the AMPS cradle a little to accomodate the slightly larger bolts, but it looks possible.

I don't share your concern about spreading the weight of the GPS over a wider area- and that makes me damn curious about what I'm missing. In fact, I'm now plagued with doubt....my primary concern is the intergity of the AMPS cradle when I crash. With the RAM mount, the GPS will deflect pretty easily on impact, and has ended up 1-3 inches from its original position. Obviously, a more rigid mount would not be as forgiving, but has the advantage of being tucked further from the impact zone.

I'll be interested to see how effective the RAM balls have been as isolators as well.

Worst case- I buy another HDB top mount and go back to the RAM.

And I always use an independent cable tether on the GPS in case of mount failure.

I use a tether as well. My experience is that the ram with a medium arm provides reasonable isolation. The short arm not so much.

i-s4FgtJH-L.jpg

I suspect you all are on the edge of your seat,,worried about my Power Off Issue. Knowing such, I took a run at the problem and have a fix in place. As you imagined the problem appears to have been in the non-stock connection I installed from the key switch jumper connector. For some reason the crimped connections where opening and closing when the wiring was jostled. Mmmm. As luck would have it, I had installed a "spare" 12vdc on/off switch on the Highway Dirt Bike top clamp. Clever that I may be, I relocated the GPS power to the existing ground terminal and load side of the mini-switch already installed. I can now power on and off from the dash. After a couple of Pavement test rides, all is good so far.

Black button = GPS on/off, Red momentary for volt meter.

DSCN20231000w-L.jpg

DSCN20241000w-L.jpg

DSCN20271000w-L.jpg

DSCN20261000w-L.jpg

i-s4FgtJH-L.jpg

I suspect you all are on the edge of your seat,,worried about my Power Off Issue. Knowing such, I took a run at the problem and have a fix in place. As you imagined the problem appears to have been in the non-stock connection I installed from the key switch jumper connector. For some reason the crimped connections where opening and closing when the wiring was jostled. Mmmm. As luck would have it, I had installed a "spare" 12vdc on/off switch on the Highway Dirt Bike top clamp. Clever that I may be, I relocated the GPS power to the existing ground terminal and load side of the mini-switch already installed. I can now power on and off from the dash. After a couple of Pavement test rides, all is good so far.

Black button = GPS on/off, Red momentary for volt meter.

DSCN20231000w-L.jpg

Good news!

DSCN20241000w-L.jpg

DSCN20271000w-L.jpg

DSCN20261000w-L.jpg

All your observations sound solid to me.

But as a mechanical bungler, I plan to use four 6mm isolators drilled and tapped into the HDB plate in a pattern matching the cradle in a vertical position. That will require enlarging the holes in the AMPS cradle a little to accomodate the slightly larger bolts, but it looks possible.

I don't share your concern about spreading the weight of the GPS over a wider area- and that makes me damn curious about what I'm missing. In fact, I'm now plagued with doubt....my primary concern is the intergity of the AMPS cradle when I crash. With the RAM mount, the GPS will deflect pretty easily on impact, and has ended up 1-3 inches from its original position. Obviously, a more rigid mount would not be as forgiving, but has the advantage of being tucked further from the impact zone.

I'll be interested to see how effective the RAM balls have been as isolators as well.

Worst case- I buy another HDB top mount and go back to the RAM.

And I always use an independent cable tether on the GPS in case of mount failure.

A couple of suggestions. First you may find that mounting the isolators directly using the AMPS bolt pattern yields more vibration than you expect. That was the first method I tried and I found as I rev'd the motor on a stand I could feel more vibration than I was comfortable with at certain rpm's. Notice that the Touratech mounts have the isolators spread wide:

http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/3421/PN-065-0599/Locking-GPS-Mount-Black-Garmin-Montana-Monterra-Motorrad-Adventure

Your isolators are larger that the ones I used so it may not be an issue. Second the mounting holes in Amps mount themselves are isolated from the main body by rubber with metal sleeves for the 4mm mounting screws. If you are going to try to open them up for 6mm screws you will have to remove the sleeves and basically abandon any isolation that the mount itself provides. Also not sure a 6mm screw head will clear the bottom of the gps. Maybe if you use button head screws. .As for the integrity of the mount it's actually pretty well tucked away as it sits fairly low and the ends of the handlebars and hanguards provide some protection. I had a setup like this on the bike when I had the big getoff at the Dash and it came through completely unscathed. The retrievers of the bike neglected to turn off the gps and I forgot to turn it off as I was going over the bars. At any rate the gps kept ticking along and killed the bike battery overnight (no complaints - I was just happy that someone retrieved the bike). Just my observations along the way - YMMV.

Here are a couple of pics of the mount on my 950SE. very solid and out of the way.

P1050867_zps85c4cdfe.jpg

The foam kills most vibration to the unit.

P1050868_zpsb6678215.jpg

P1050874_zpsbd5f46d8.jpg

CiD

post-399-0-80089700-1440088057_thumb.jpg

Great comments gents. What have you found works best for tethering?

I make mine out of 1/16 stainless wire:

Very nice and clean! Shrink tube over the ends? How did you bind the wire ends together on each side before covering with the shrink tube? I'd buy one off you if for sale? :) Exactly what I need for this upcoming baja trip. Any for sale?

Soooo your saying PMB shouldn't do any plumbing?

Very nice and clean! Shrink tube over the ends? How did you bind the wire ends together on each side before covering with the shrink tube? I'd buy one off you if for sale? :) Exactly what I need for this upcoming baja trip. Any for sale?

It's magic- you offer me some $ to do it for you, and I politely refuse or suggest making a small donation to the SDAR general fund. You bring your GPS by the studio and bring a large beer of some sort (PBR is welcome or Pliny) that I can stock for future use. In about 20 minutes, you have what you need.

Oh- you'll need to bring the little screw-type carabiner pictured. I like the screw collar as it gives just a tiny bit of protection from someone grabbing and running with my GPS on impulse. I like the stainless versions.

Well said, I deserved that. Been away on business travel so been limited on time to do the millions of small tasks like this one before I depart for Baja but I'll add it to the list. +1 for Pliny.

btw...did make my donation 2 weeks ago but still haven't got any confirmation back...separate topic for pm

Well said, I deserved that.

If I came across as snarky,(Bikeslutty) I did it wrong.

I'm happy to help, happy to make one for you.

No worries at all, I'll make a few of them when I get back and will try to make it better than yours! :) I can think of many uses for these!